Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2020, 12:54 PM   #1

Swapping out jack knife for dual recliner....but....?

So I plan on swapping out my jack knife sofa for the more comfortable looking dual recliner from recpro....I started removing my sofa and see that there is a metal box that houses my outside TV in the area (3.4 inches from wall). It sits in the cavity of the sofa now. Talking to recpro they advise that I need 3 inches of clearance while reclining. My concern is while the slide is in will have have walk through room as my slide out is on the opposite side of the sofa. It looks like the tv box on my wall will be ok as the back of the recpro sofa is not flat against the wall. He also mentioned that I may have to move out my new sofa when we park and out the slide out and that it is heavy enough that it does not have to be anchored.

Just looking for feedback or from those of you that may have done this already.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200206_113751.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	212.7 KB
ID:	222931   Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-02-06_11-49-14.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	222932  
Old 02-06-2020, 02:32 PM   #2

Just install the recliners in my rig and I believe you may have a problem.
The reason for the 3" of clearance requirement is that as the chair reclines the back goes further towards the wall.
Fully reclined the head rest is almost against the wall.
Old 02-06-2020, 02:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-nickie View Post
Just install the recliners in my rig and I believe you may have a problem.
The reason for the 3" of clearance requirement is that as the chair reclines the back goes further towards the wall.
Fully reclined the head rest is almost against the wall.
Did you anchor yours? I am wondering if I can store the recliners against the wall while the slide on the opposite side is in and when the slide goes out I can move it a few inches away from the wall. Mainly to have enough room to walk between the dinette and sofa to get to the driver area. Theres enough room for 1 person to walk the isle now. I figure I would loose another inch or 2 if I could store against the wall.
Old 02-06-2020, 07:27 PM   #4

I'm thinking about putting the new sofa on the slide side where the dinette is now and moving the TV hanging on the wall above the dinette to the opposite slide. Putting a 2 person mini dinette where the old sofa was. We seldom have more than 2 folks in the MH anyway. This would give us more room at the cost of more work
Old 02-07-2020, 09:16 AM   #5

I did anchor mine down.
Moving them around may be an issue as the sections are connected together with a button and groove at the bottom of the frame only.
Moving them around might make them become disconnected.
I really hate giving you this feed back as we really love the recliners.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bclinton View Post
Did you anchor yours? I am wondering if I can store the recliners against the wall while the slide on the opposite side is in and when the slide goes out I can move it a few inches away from the wall. Mainly to have enough room to walk between the dinette and sofa to get to the driver area. Theres enough room for 1 person to walk the isle now. I figure I would loose another inch or 2 if I could store against the wall.
Old 02-07-2020, 09:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-nickie View Post
I did anchor mine down.
Moving them around may be an issue as the sections are connected together with a button and groove at the bottom of the frame only.
Moving them around might make them become disconnected.
I really hate giving you this feed back as we really love the recliners.
Thanks for the feedback. I am pretty sure I am going to put them on the opposite side on the slide out. Plenty of room there and it forces me to come up with a more usable dinette. Now I am trying to talk myself into going with the 67 incher with the power included. It's about 300 more but hey.....figure I would regret not going that route...........the best price I find is on their website is for $1269.......found a 5% off code that helps a little.
Old 02-07-2020, 03:56 PM   #7

I just swapped out my jackknife for a navigator power loveseat recliner from Bobs discount furniture ...required about 5" clearance behind loveseat..$679 very happy with it....very comfortable
bigred123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 04:11 PM   #8

You’ll love them!

Replaced the jack knife with the recpro dual recliner on my 2016 GT3-31B3. If you bolt them together they slide easily without coming apart. Plenty of room to walk. Can be repositioned after you park. There are several holes in the frame that will accept bolts. Stable on the road as well. Send pics of your dinette swap if you do it.
joebelknap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 04:20 PM   #9
NXR

Did you buy them yet? If not, the modular Thomas Payne ones supplied in the GT5 34H5 are really, really nice. They not only have power recline, they have seat heat and a massager. Each headrest also will tilt forward by pulling on it. The center compartment has a 120 VAC outlet and USB jacks. You do need two 120 VAC outlets, one for each seat. There are four cup holders, one in each arm rest and two in the center console.

And the two armrest cupholders are illuminated along with an LED strip at the bottom of each chair.

These are about 66" wide, about 40" tall and about 37" deep. But they need about 3.5" clearance from the wall. So the front is about 40" from the wall when fully upright.

Unfortunately I do not see these precise units listed on the LCI web site and I don't see any part number tags. I'm sure your dealer could look them up and price them.

Ray
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Recliner-1.PNG
Views:	119
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	223011   Click image for larger version

Name:	Recliner-2.PNG
Views:	279
Size:	1.93 MB
ID:	223012   Click image for larger version

Name:	Recliner-3.PNG
Views:	101
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	223013  
Old 02-07-2020, 05:57 PM   #10

Jack Knife Question

In an earlier thread I documented installing 2 Thomas Payne power recliners in my 2015 Coachmen Concord 300TS (no center console due to space). We have not hit the road with it yet due to winter in northern Nevada where we live but will in the spring. MY QUESTION is, to those that have made this replacement, what did you do with the jack knife couch/sofa you took out?? Takes up a lot of room in the garage and I need to get rid of it.
ConcordKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 06:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Did you buy them yet? If not, the modular Thomas Payne ones supplied in the GT5 34H5 are really, really nice. They not only have power recline, they have seat heat and a massager. Each headrest also will tilt forward by pulling on it. The center compartment has a 120 VAC outlet and USB jacks. You do need two 120 VAC outlets, one for each seat. There are four cup holders, one in each arm rest and two in the center console.

And the two armrest cupholders are illuminated along with an LED strip at the bottom of each chair.

These are about 66" wide, about 40" tall and about 37" deep. But they need about 3.5" clearance from the wall. So the front is about 40" from the wall when fully upright.

Unfortunately I do not see these precise units listed on the LCI web site and I don't see any part number tags. I'm sure your dealer could look them up and price them.

Ray
I saw your model at an RV show today. It is very nice. I went ahead and ordered the recpro. Found out they do not charge tax and got the powered unit for 1200 shipped. Ripped out my dinette today so waiting on the new sofa to get here. I have plenty of room for it on the slide versus where the old jackknife was. Now I need to figure out what kind of dinette I am going to go with. Overall I think I will be happy with the setup now even though I am loosing 2 seats of dinette space. Much more room to move around when the slide is retracted.
Old 02-07-2020, 06:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcordKen View Post
In an earlier thread I documented installing 2 Thomas Payne power recliners in my 2015 Coachmen Concord 300TS (no center console due to space). We have not hit the road with it yet due to winter in northern Nevada where we live but will in the spring. MY QUESTION is, to those that have made this replacement, what did you do with the jack knife couch/sofa you took out?? Takes up a lot of room in the garage and I need to get rid of it.
I thought about putting mine on craigslist. Figured someone doing a renovation might be interested. Surely it is worth $100.....maybe?
Old 02-07-2020, 06:37 PM   #13

Quote:
I sold mine really quickly on Craigslist for $300 to a couple that needed a new one for their older motorhome.
Tombsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 06:40 PM   #14

Jack Knife Couch Disposal

I've never used Craigslist or eBay to sell stuff before. Mine weighs about 126 pounds. Wouldn't want to pay to ship it. I guess there is always "the dump"!!
ConcordKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 06:55 PM   #15

Quote:
I've never used Craigslist or eBay to sell stuff before. Mine weighs about 126 pounds. Wouldn't want to pay to ship it. I guess there is always "the dump"!!
No I wouldn't have shipped mine either, with Craigslist you can just advertise to your local area and say pick up only, you can also list it as free to pick up.
Another option if your a Facebook user is Facebook Marketplace same idea, for us you can even do a neighbourhood specific ad.
Tombsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 07:27 PM   #16

When I took ours out, I tried to sell it for about a month with no luck. I also tried to give it away, no luck. Then the DW said let’s take it to the Salvation Army. That is what we did.
shortkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 12:45 PM   #17

After taking out the dinette I now have 4 large seat belt bolt heads sticking up along with a mass of wiring in the back corner of the area. I am almost afraid to remove the seat belt bolt because I do not want the nut underneath to get lodged under the slide. I am pretty sure the gob of wires can be moved back and will not be in the way of the new sofa but would like to remove the seat belts. There may be a change of leaving them there if the frame of the new couch sits around the bolt heads. Any insight on how the seat belt bolt is secured under the slide? I just want o avoid having something wedged under it if I remove the bolt.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200208_114647.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	245.0 KB
ID:	223068  
Old 02-08-2020, 01:05 PM   #18
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclinton View Post
After taking out the dinette I now have 4 large seat belt bolt heads sticking up along with a mass of wiring in the back corner of the area. I am almost afraid to remove the seat belt bolt because I do not want the nut underneath to get lodged under the slide. I am pretty sure the gob of wires can be moved back and will not be in the way of the new sofa but would like to remove the seat belts. There may be a change of leaving them there if the frame of the new couch sits around the bolt heads. Any insight on how the seat belt bolt is secured under the slide? I just want o avoid having something wedged under it if I remove the bolt.

Mine In the slides have a large bolt head visible on the outside bottom of the slide. And the heads are now rusted, of course.

Ray
Old 02-16-2020, 09:44 AM   #19

The swap is coming along great. Very happy with the space I have now when the slide is retracted. Decided to go with a fold down pub table and will use bar stools for it. We used the old dinette table and cut it down to about 35 inches and used a couple of fold-able brackets from Amazon. Sofa fit in perfect and was very easy to install. Nailed in a 1 inch ledger in front and behind the sofa frame to stop it from moving. The motorized TV mast is a little taller than I had thought but I got a good deal on it from Ebay and will make a box cover to put over it it when it is down. Only have the side doors of the cabinet to finish and some trim work......it will be done! This was by far the most fun so far with doing a project for the MH.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200216_083302.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	257.8 KB
ID:	223454   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200216_083327.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	211.4 KB
ID:	223455   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200216_083348.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	269.1 KB
ID:	223456  
Old 02-16-2020, 12:53 PM   #20

WOW! That’s gives you a lot more room to walk. Its also a cleaner look with the tv retracted. Nice job.