Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2015, 06:05 PM   #1

Tailgater for 2014 Forest River Georgetown 328TS.

I am looking into buying a tailgater for my 2014 Forest River Georgetown 328TS. Can anyone give me some advice regarding where the satellite input is and then how to connect the tailgater receiver to the living room TV (and the bedroom TV?) with a HDMI connector?

Thanks!!
Old 06-04-2015, 06:31 AM   #2

I also have a 328TS and I believe there is a coaxial input in one of the outside storage compartments on the driver's side. This is not much information but I hope it helps.

Please post if you are successful as I have been researching the Tailgater as well.
rkulbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 08:19 AM   #3

I have a 2014 Georgetown 360XL. My Tailgater connection is in the bin with my electrical power chord. The Cable Selector Switch over the passenger seat must be moved to Cable TV.
There is no HDMI cable run in the motorhome. Some campers get around that with a wireless system.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Sbryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 10:12 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbryant View Post
I have a 2014 Georgetown 360XL. My Tailgater connection is in the bin with my electrical power chord. The Cable Selector Switch over the passenger seat must be moved to Cable TV.
There is no HDMI cable run in the motorhome. Some campers get around that with a wireless system.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
+1

I've got a '14 328 also. You can use the park cable input in the electrical service compartment (rearmost compartment, driver's side), but as stated, no HDMI cables run throughout...
DarrenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 12:17 PM   #5

agreed - we have a 351ds and run it through the cable input in the basement. No HDMI.
Edgar & Carlos (felines)
RIP Sophie, the sweetest cat ever.
ChrisAndGarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 12:37 PM   #6

We had a tailgater, but the performance was marginal. Sold it on eBay and got a Wingard Pathway X2. If you can go the extra $, the X2 is a much more robust unit with a bigger antenna and pulls in a stronger, more reliable signal than the Tailgater. You can also run a second receiver from it, even though both receivers have to be watching a channel on the same satellite.

Our TT came pre-wired for both campground cable and satellite. We hook the dish to the satellite input and it goes directly to a connection near the main TV - separate from the cable/antenna connection with the amplifier button. A sort cable connect to the receiver, and a HDMI goes from the receiver to the set. There is an auxiliary RF output on the receiver which you can hook to the cable/antenna connection that will "back feed" the signal into the wiring that goes to the second TV in the bedroom. Only limitation is that you have to watch the same thing on both sets, and the remote only works in the living room.

If I didn't have the dedicated satellite connection, I would just run the cable from the dish in through the nearest window or sneak it through the weather seal on the slide.
Cathcartww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 06:47 AM   #7

We don't have a Georgetown...ours is a SportsCoach Cross Country with a sat dome on the roof. But sometimes when parked the sat dome doesn't have an adequate view of the southern sky. So that's when I pull out the Tailgater and run the cable thru the door. The cable has to be connected directly between our receiver (VIP11z) and the Tailgater, due to the need to provide power via the cable. BTW when we had a 5th wheel, we connected the units the same way....just ran the cable thru an exit window. Reason: Connecting via the onboard sat wiring there was too much voltage drop for the Tailgater to function. Keep that in mind when using a Tailgater!
Old 06-09-2015, 03:07 PM   #8

I have a 351 DS - the cable connection for a portable satellite is the same cable connection that you would use for a park cable at a campground. It is in your storage compartment. The cable jack in the passenger side under the awning is to hook an outdoor tv into the existing cable system.

You need to set the selector in the passenger overhead compartment to cable.

I have a King Flex portable satellite which is the Dish & Direct TV version of the Tailgater.

here is how I have mine set up.

Dish connected via coax cable in driver side storage

Overhead passenger cabinet - look at the back of the RV selector and disconnect the cable in. connect this cable into the tailgater control box. get another short cable and connect from the tailgater box to your DISH TV receiver. Then from the DISH receiver another piece of cable back to the empty spot in the RV TV selector.
dirievi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 02:40 PM   #9

I have a 327DS and use the "Park Cable" connection in the rear electrical compartment for the satellite dish. That cable should go directly to the ant/cable/sat switch box and can be used for the DVR.

My DirecTV antenna is a SWM (Single Wire Mode) model that requires a power supply between it and the DVR box because the DVR doesn't supply power to the antenna. The park cable goes to an A/B switch box that lets me feed it directly to the RV selector switch when I'm using an RV park's cable system or connect it to the SWM power supply when I'm using the DirecTV box.

The RV wasn't wired with HDMI cables so I purchased Actiontec HDMI wireless boxes to ship HDMI signals to both TVs. ActionTec's system lets you connect multiple receivers to a single transmitter and each receiver can connect to multiple transmitters. A second transmitter attached to a blue-ray player would allow using either the satellite box or the blue-ray player for either television.

I'm planning on installing another television on the overhead compartments in the front of the RV. The Actiontec transmitter box has an HDMI output port that will be used for that TV, located only a couple of feet away from the box. If I get an LED TV that runs on 12V, I can even power it from the outlet where the antenna booster switch is located. This will give me a fully DC run TV/antenna for the times we're boondocking.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2014, forest river, georgetown