Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2021, 10:43 PM   #21

Thanks so much for all the great information. I learn so much from this forum and you all are so generous with your tips, ideas and experiences.

We thought about using Enterprise, however, last we needed a rentals when a work truck broke down, they do not pick up and deliver due to COVID. Maybe that will change by the time we want to go on a longer trip.

When going close by, we likely will just follow along in the car. Sometimes I take my parents so they can ride in the RV to keep the husband company.

When I said “tow rig”, I meant all the “stuff” needed to tow. I don’t yet know all the appropriate terminology. Y’all have your own lingo I’m still learning. I think should we decided to tow, I’d want to flat tow given all the advice you’ve provided. It seems the most logical but it seems we also need to be prepared with a vehicle rated for being towed. I didn’t realize that just any car couldn’t be towed. I’m not a fan of the dolly idea. Tracking wide is an issue and we are already about 38’ so that added length is too much for the back roads we like to travel. We drove an 18-wheeler and I know how to handle a large vehicle and track the tandems on the trailer, but the MH is a tad different. It doesn’t bend, LOL!

Thanks again. You have been most helpful!
LaLaLisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 04:25 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLaLisa View Post
Thanks so much for all the great information. I learn so much from this forum and you all are so generous with your tips, ideas and experiences.

We thought about using Enterprise, however, last we needed a rentals when a work truck broke down, they do not pick up and deliver due to COVID. Maybe that will change by the time we want to go on a longer trip.

When going close by, we likely will just follow along in the car. Sometimes I take my parents so they can ride in the RV to keep the husband company.

When I said “tow rig”, I meant all the “stuff” needed to tow. I don’t yet know all the appropriate terminology. Y’all have your own lingo I’m still learning. I think should we decided to tow, I’d want to flat tow given all the advice you’ve provided. It seems the most logical but it seems we also need to be prepared with a vehicle rated for being towed. I didn’t realize that just any car couldn’t be towed. I’m not a fan of the dolly idea. Tracking wide is an issue and we are already about 38’ so that added length is too much for the back roads we like to travel. We drove an 18-wheeler and I know how to handle a large vehicle and track the tandems on the trailer, but the MH is a tad different. It doesn’t bend, LOL!

Thanks again. You have been most helpful!
In years past, I'd have referred you to the annual towing guide printed by Motorhome Magazine. Unfortunately, Marcus Lemonis just destroyed that magazine by combining it with Trailer Life and calling it RV Magazine. The end result isn't spectacular. I don't know what will happen to the very popular towing guide or if they will still print it. It usually had a listing of every car that was towable currently on the market including weight, towing restrictions, etc. There aren't nearly as many as you might think and as cars become more complex less of them are towable. The guide always included the basics of how to safely tow a car too. I found an on-line downloadable copy of the 2020 guide. I was going to attach it but it is too large. I'd recommend downloading it for future reference.

Don't overlook your local RV dealer either. To setup a car or otherwise prepare to tow a vehicle you would go to an RV dealer for the components. (When the time comes). Car dealers don't know beans about towing cars.
2018 Chevy Spark
Formerly - 2007 Itasca Navion (Sold and gone)
Mr. October is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 12:25 PM   #23
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. October View Post
Car dealers don't know beans about towing cars.
That may depend on where you live.

In the wintry north I always tell the dealer that the car is set up for dinghy towing and to not mess with anything they do not understand. And yes, the first few times I used an online appointment system the dealer asked who would be towing the car in and why it would be towed in. <sigh>

When I had to take the car to a dealer in Nashville, the service manager laughed and said he probably sees more cars set up for flat towing in a month than a northern dealer has ever seen.

His guys worked on toads at least a couple times a week but they do not install the towing equipment. He said it's because his labor rates would not be competitive with an RV dealer but he could guarantee the work would be done correctly.

Ray
Old 02-04-2021, 12:44 PM   #24

I find it amusing that out here in the wild, untamed, desolate west, we have shops whose main business is to set up anything to tow or be towed. I wouldn't want to trust my setup to either an RV or auto dealer!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 12:50 PM   #25
COYS

toad setup

we have shops that only work on trailer hitches etc but get at least three quotes! our local guy really only wanted to work on a Jeep (not the Ford Focus we chose) and needed over $3000- for everything installed, excluding the braking system. The shop that did the work charged right at $2000- and everything was great.
Old 02-04-2021, 02:45 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
That may depend on where you live.

In the wintry north I always tell the dealer that the car is set up for dinghy towing and to not mess with anything they do not understand. And yes, the first few times I used an online appointment system the dealer asked who would be towing the car in and why it would be towed in. <sigh>

When I had to take the car to a dealer in Nashville, the service manager laughed and said he probably sees more cars set up for flat towing in a month than a northern dealer has ever seen.

His guys worked on toads at least a couple times a week but they do not install the towing equipment. He said it's because his labor rates would not be competitive with an RV dealer but he could guarantee the work would be done correctly.

Ray
I was pretty annoyed when we bought our car. Chevrolet had already identifed the need on 2016 and newer Sparks to have the battery disconnected to tow due to the electronic stability control. When we towed it home from getting setup to tow I noticed the brakes on the car would come on at the top of a ramp or anywhere the car kind of free floated (not being actively pulled). I found out from another owner who had bought one that there was a supplemental owners manual pamphlet describing the need to disconnect the battery. I'd give most dealers a pass on this. But the dealer I bought from was managed by a guy that has a class A rV and tows, and owned by another guy with a class A rv that tows. I told them I was buying it to tow. You'd think they'd have been a little smarter than the average car dealer.

I think in general something .0001% of all cars sold get towed 4 down. It is generally not a factor for dealer or certainly manufacturers to worry about.
2018 Chevy Spark
Old 02-04-2021, 02:46 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I find it amusing that out here in the wild, untamed, desolate west, we have shops whose main business is to set up anything to tow or be towed. I wouldn't want to trust my setup to either an RV or auto dealer!
The RV dealer I used specializes in this sort of work. They have two guys that this is all they do. They were very good.
2018 Chevy Spark
Old 02-08-2021, 08:25 PM   #28

Rental Vehicles

Checked with Enterprise in Natchez, MS. Lat week. Will not deliver or pick up rentals due to virus. Not sure if this a national franchise dictate.
JimEastTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 09:16 PM   #29

The one thing I'd add is to be sure of the total weight you'd be towing. If you use a towing dolly, the weight of the dolly must be added to the TOAD in your calculations. Don't just assume "it's a small car".
JohnBj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 09:32 PM   #30

(We thought about using Enterprise, however, last we needed a rentals when a work truck broke down, they do not pick up and deliver due to COVID. Maybe that will change by the time we want to go on a longer trip.)

We found in October and November it depended on what state you rented. Cal. and AZ. would pick you up.
KNMIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 12:28 AM   #31
Sunseeker 2400MBW

We went to the Oregon coast for 10 days and lost most of a day waiting for an enterprise car, driving the employee back to the store and coming back to the RV park. Then we had to return the car after the trip was over and the nearest store was the opposite way of home. I am a big Enterprise fan but it doesn’t always work. There already so much planning required and then add in a rental.

Our MH is only 24 feet but I can’t imagine traveling without a toad.

We have the flap rock guard, the front of our car is a mess, quite chipped up. I think a bra would be the best option.

This much fun is not for the faint of heart.

Tags
questions