Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2017, 01:23 PM   #21
7 Year Class A RV'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentdavido View Post
My concern is that the jeep is a soft top, so I can't stash anything there and I am concerned about losing the keys on a hike. So it's crazy but after the fiasco we had last summer I don't want to go through at this time. Thank you so much
The soft top can be an issue, but have you thought about just unzipping the cover on your roll bar assembly and tucking the key inside of there? Doubt anyone would look for something stowed there. Just a suggestion.

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 01:26 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptumator View Post
Schvarak: Sorry, but you're wrong on the door entry keys. It's not the copying that's the issue, it's the blank key. Most folks don't stock them. As for the fob, if you read what I wrote, you would see the lock has a keypad built in as well as the fob.
OMG!!! I had three sets of door/ deadbolt keys cut at home depot for less than 10 bucks. I didn't come close to using up their current supply of blanks.
Schvarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 01:33 PM   #23
7 Year Class A RV'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schvarak View Post
OMG!!! I had three sets of door/ deadbolt keys cut at home depot for less than 10 bucks. I didn't come close to using up their current supply of blanks.
Well good for you - I tried to find them in Orlando and they don't exist. Guess they're used to folks in your neck of the woods losing them more often. You know, I simply can't figure out why some people are just created smarter than others, like you appear to think you are. I was simply trying to answer someone's question and help them out, not get into an argument. Have a nice day; hope you can find another post to illustrate your attitude on.

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 08:06 PM   #24

You should get one the realtor lock boxes that has a numeric lock on .it then find a good place to mount it on thr motor home .mine is in the propane bay no lock on that bay find a good crossmember drill a hole in the lock box and in the crossmember and mount it with a grade 8 nut and bolt put a spare key for the tode and the motor home also a key for the dead bold and the regular lock
All. Other extra key put some ware in the motorhome you will never be locked out again unless you forget the combo for the lock box
Another good point of this system is if the better half has to round back to the RV for some unknown reason and you have the keys .who,s the bad guy
Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 08:28 PM   #25

We put combo locks on our storage doors. After showing DH this thread, we have decided to put a full set in one of the toolboxes stored inside.
I'll have to drive into Tucson to have the keys cut since the closest Ace is hit or missed as on blanks. For some vehicles you have to have the registration or even the vehicle if it's a chipped key.

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 09:38 PM   #26

Great ideas!! Wow
kentdavido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 06:33 AM   #27

We also keep spare MH keys in a combo lock box in the propane bay !!!
Incase we lock our keys in the MH,,, our 2013 Sunseeker does not have a Smart key !!!
Can you imagine how much it would cost FR to have them built with Smart keys !!!
LOL !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 06:47 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
We also keep spare MH keys in a combo lock box in the propane bay !!!
Incase we lock our keys in the MH,,, our 2013 Sunseeker does not have a Smart key !!!
Can you imagine how much it would cost FR to have them built with Smart keys !!!
LOL !!!

I asked about the smart key because we purchased a 2017 new 4 door Jeep without power locks, or power windows, manual transmission and a soft top. It's very cool for the simplicity and key looks so basic but it has intelligence built into the metal. Who Knew?
Old 07-06-2017, 06:55 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentdavido View Post
I asked about the smart key because we purchased a 2017 new 4 door Jeep without power locks, or power windows, manual transmission and a soft top. It's very cool for the simplicity and key looks so basic but it has intelligence built into the metal. Who Knew?
Yes my 2003 F-150 has a chip in the key,,, even though the key is not much bigger than a regular key !!! I had a spare made that will open the door,,, but will not start the truck,,, difference in price was about $100 !!! With our 2013 EDGE key we can lock - unlock & start the engine !!! No key fob !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 06:32 PM   #30

I have one of these with spare key set in it.
https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Acces...k/1467DAT.html

Frank
FrankMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 06:40 PM   #31

The best yet

Tags
class a, toad