Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2011, 12:55 PM   #21

We always tent camped with inflatable mattresses until recently. The queen mattresses that came with our 21SS hybrid seem OK. Oddly, the Coleman pillows we used tent camping seem to be insufficient now for some reason. Going to try regular pillows next trip and see how that goes. Also was wondering if I did add a topper to the electric mattress will we still feel the heat through it?
Hybrid21SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 02:14 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labzy View Post
Does anyone find the memory foam is hot, and doesn't 'breathe'?

Im happy with our mattress, but was looking at getting a feather bed topper.
I was afraid that the memory foam would be hot too. That's why I bought the one I linked. It's a 2" memory foam with a 2" poly fiber pad on top of that. Make it breathable. And much cheaper then the vented memory foam that they advertise in motorhome magazine.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:21 PM   #23
Villa Estate 392FLFB

we took ours out and bought a sears postapudic (sp?) and never looked back! sure its twice the thickness of the tiny mattress that was in there but meh.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:32 PM   #24

On the hybrids the mattress fold at about 1/3 in to allow you to fold and store it directly in front of the closed bunk. What are people doing with it during travel if you replace them with a regular mattress?
Hybrid21SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 03:07 PM   #25

Thanks all for your great advise. I found an outfit in down that makes mattress' They are making me a 3.5in foam pillow top that fits over the mattress.

By the way, I asked about using memory foam. He could do it but advised against. Says it gets too hot and when the coach gets cold, the foam gets quite rigid and unresponsive. Take it for what it's worth.

Cheers and thanks again
Ken
bendrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 03:23 PM   #26

That is correct...memory foam and freeeeeeeezing temps do not go well together.
polkatronron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 04:51 PM   #27

Ditto for papap. We used the memory foam from Sam's club. Works super. We have a sleep number in our 378 so we put the memory foam on the sleep sofa. The sleep number can be a bit spendy but our coach came with it. They are nice. Sleep like a baby.............
Scooter Trash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:27 PM   #28
Now a "Top Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendrver View Post
Thanks all for your great advise. I found an outfit in down that makes mattress' They are making me a 3.5in foam pillow top that fits over the mattress.

By the way, I asked about using memory foam. He could do it but advised against. Says it gets too hot and when the coach gets cold, the foam gets quite rigid and unresponsive. Take it for what it's worth.

Cheers and thanks again
Ken
Heh...if it gets too cold, we ain't camping! And we've never had any problem with it getting hot and not breathing.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 08:54 PM   #29
Living the Dream !

Got rid of that piece of crap and bought a serta matress recomended by our dealer,...sleep like a baby now !!..looking foward to go to bed every time !!
Steph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 07:48 PM   #30

I totally agree. The 374s stock mattress is junk. We only survived our first 2 weeks with it. Of course, I'm a tree trunk and require a very high quality mattress. We ordered 2 twin sleep numbers our 2nd week out and had them shipped to my Father in Laws. He received them and made the 4 hour trip to bring them to use last week, what a guy.

Our old mattress was 73 x 75. The twins are 37 1/2 x 75...or 75 x 75 for 2 twins side by side. They have just enough give to fit into the Bed slide. The corners not having a radius is no problem, don't even notice. We placed a 72 x 75 feather top on we found in PA, and picked up the smallest king sheets we could find. It's all a perfect fit and barely notice the seam between us. They were regularly 649 each and picked them up on sale for 449 each.

Awesome, comfortable, and well worth it.

Days Camped 2011 - 52
Days Camped 2012 - 93
GrowingGoatee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:12 PM   #31
CLASS "A" Senior Member

First purchase we made after sleeping one night on the mattress that came with the coach was a Sleep Number Mattress. Yes they are expensive but we've had one at home since 1997. I've had two back surgeries and the support from the Sleep Number Mattress gives me a great night's sleep and no back issues in the morning. That one night sleep if you want to call it that was very restless. I awoke the next morning with an extremely sore back. It had to go!

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:01 PM   #32

Sleep Number Bed

Get yourself a sleep number bed, we did several years ago and have transfered it from RV to RV as we upgraded. You won't be sorry.
SnowBird9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:28 PM   #33

We tried to do that. Sleep Number has gone out of business in Canada and I am told they are on there way out in the states as well.
We had to settle for something different.
polkatronron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 11:45 AM   #34

I know Camping World still has them (Sleep Number Beds) available. We purchased a short Queen for our unit. They are about $1,000.00 US.
SnowBird9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 03:25 PM   #35

Hey Polka,

I got a new short queen mattress I'd sell for $150. Slept on it 5 nights. Liked it so much my wife bought me a new trailer. Didn't let it go with the old trailer we sold. If you're ever in south Mississippi, I'll fix you up!
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 10:52 PM   #36

We also dislike the standard mattress. We have a sleep number at home but didn't want to go that route just yet. We had two twin size air mattresses that we put "under" the mattress. So far, so good.
tomnhenri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:18 PM   #37

I am looking at the Aveena Mattress currently on sale at Camping World for $499.00, there are a couple of really good reviews on them. The nice thing about Camping World is a 90 day return policy if you don't soil or damage them. Anyone heard anything about these mattresses?

Thanks, Forrest
2011 Georgetown 378TS
2011 Ford Escape V-6 4X4
fbconsults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:28 PM   #38
Living the Dream !

get a serta rv matress the best investement you will make......cheers !!
Steph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:42 PM   #39

I took a regular Beauty Rest pillow top mattress (just the mattress, no box springs) and put it in the place of the mattress that came in my unit. It fits just fine and makes for a MUCH better night's sleep.
2008 F-250 Lariat 4x4 6.4 Powerstroke
Firestone Ride-Rites w/cab control
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 03:55 AM   #40

I donated the brand new factory mattress to Goodwill and put my sleep number mattress in it's place. I also use a memory foam topper. I bought an extra fitted bottom sheet to put on the mattress and another on the topper. It's MUCH easier to make a corner bed that way.

The only challenge is frequent changes in the firmness when traveling thru different altitudes. It gets rock hard in the mountains.
Full-timing and loving life one mile at a time
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote