Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2020, 01:41 PM   #1

Think of installing a Washer Dryer Combo Thoughts?

We are finally ready to hit the open road for longer periods of time.
My wife is not a fan of laundramats.

Has anyone installed a washer dryer combo?

Thoughts

Thanks in Advance

2020 Chevy Equinox Silver sled
seasure1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 02:17 PM   #2
Don't Camp Enough

If your rig is prepped for one, go for it.

DSMURPHY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 05:57 PM   #3
NXR

We had the Splendide 2100XC combo washer/dryer factory installed, the vented version. The dealer had to really beef up the cabinet because it was not strong enough for the 1,200 RPM spin speed and the cabinet bottom kind of came apart partially...

If you are already prepped, try to figure out what model you are prepped for. Some people learned that they were prepped for a then-current model and the current model did not just fit in.

There are two types of units, vented and unvented. Vented is like at home but you need to buzz a hole through the side of the motorhome. This is where the "prep was for an older model" thing hit the other person. The place where they needed to drill the hole appeared to be in line with a wall rib because the current model had the vent in a different place. So he just built a wood platform from 2x4's which raised the washer/dryer up enough.

Unvented is just that. It uses a lot more water and kind of dehumidifies the clothing by drawing the water out using a condensation system for the dry cycle. Some people say it takes longer to dry; I've never used one.

Will we ever have a motorhome without a washer/dryer? No way. We use the dryer to dry off bath towels each morning, small loads almost every day, etc. It noticeably reduced the amount of clothing we needed to bring. And we know exactly what has gone in it, unlike a campground laundromat.

If you're at a campground that charges for electricity it will raise your bill, but you won't be sending $4 or $5 in quarters to do one load anymore. Or going there and finding everything full and having to come back. Etc.

Will you occasionally need a laundromat? If you have a combo like ours and not a stacked set, yes. While we can wash the king-sized sheets and pillow cases we cannot wash any quilts or big blankets.

A combo takes some getting used to because it's about 2 cubic feet. Our home washer is 3.7 cubic feet and the home dryer is 7.1 cubic feet.

Did you notice that the home dryer is twice the size of the home washer? That's important with a combo because the washer and dryer are the same. That means you cannot stuff it full like at home. If you do not want big wrinkles in your clothes it can only be half full to start and lightly full, not stuffed and compressed half-full. I've been toying with the idea of getting a hand steamer to take out clothing wrinkles.

So a lot of little loads works best. On a four-month trip I think we used a campground washer and dryer two or three times tops and that was because a dog barfed all over the blanket.

HTH,

Ray
Old 07-08-2020, 10:56 AM   #4

Ray

Thanks for the feedback. I placed an order for the Spendide 2100XC
$899.00 from Camping World

All the water supply, electric and where to cut the vent hole is already there!

However, hooking up for the Washer drain is not?

Guess I will have to research this further.

There are drain lines in the same cabinet but nothing marked for the actual drain itself

thanks again

Old 07-08-2020, 11:41 AM   #5
NXR

Be certain to actually check the height of the vent hole on the combo versus the wall marking. Mine is a straight shot out and just a few inches long.

When you install the vent door on the outside be aware that mine only had two screws securing it, one on each bottom corner. When I looked up from below I could see daylight through the sides. I ran a bead of sealant around the outside because I did not want air getting in that crack and the thing departing the vehicle on the road. You probably could apply the sealant as an adhesive when you first install it and it will look a bit cleaner.

Mine has a PVC drain tube sticking up in the rear corner where the drain line goes. Pay careful attention to the height and positioning of the drain line per the manual. I think my PVC piping has a P-trap, the U-shaped curve, in it but am not certain. That will keep gray tank "air" out of the cabinet.

Westland actually has optional brackets to secure the front feet to the cabinet floor to help reduce vibration. If you decide to use those, you'll probably have to run a 2x4 under the flooring panel to screw the brackets into. I was going to add those if I still had vibration issues but I don't.

https://www.amazon.com/Westland-MK01...4226605&sr=8-1

You should consider reading and saving the instructions in the thread below, which are also attached here. It's a lint cleaning procedure that is not documented in the manual, or didn't used to be. You may experience unseen lint build-up because there is no traditional lint filter that can be removed and cleaned. I got it directly from Westland over the winter. It works well. Splendide back-flushes the lint filter automatically but it's not 100% effective so lint slowly builds up inside.

If you're thinking that it's taking longer and longer to dry clothes and they're still damp, run that procedure. I can throw two heavy bath towels in the dryer, run it for 20 minutes, and they come out dry. Right before I ran the procedure, in addition to the error code I noted in the thread, the towels were coming out damp after 40 minutes.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...re-201608.html

I've attached some docs you might want to save off and review.

Good luck and don't hurt your back moving that thing. You only want to put it in once.

Ray
Attached Files
File Type: txt Monthly Lint Cleaning Procedure.txt (1.2 KB, 56 views)
File Type: pdf Splendide Fault Codes.PDF (81.6 KB, 28 views)
File Type: pdf Splendide Tech Tips.pdf (65.2 KB, 31 views)
File Type: pdf Splendide Training Guide.pdf (1.76 MB, 41 views)
File Type: pdf WD2100XC_IOM3.pdf (338.8 KB, 31 views)
Old 07-08-2020, 04:39 PM   #6

If you can find the room for it go for it. I put one in oue fifth wheel after spending way too much time and money in laundrymats. Best thing we've done besides getting the fifth wheel.
laneb52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 05:06 PM   #7

thanks again Ray for all the info on the washer dryer combo

Keep you posted when I am doing the install

Delivery in two weeks

Old 07-08-2020, 05:51 PM   #8

Me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasure1 View Post
Ray

Thanks for the feedback. I placed an order for the Spendide 2100XC
$899.00 from Camping World

All the water supply, electric and where to cut the vent hole is already there!

However, hooking up for the Washer drain is not?

Guess I will have to research this further.

There are drain lines in the same cabinet but nothing marked for the actual drain itself

thanks again
We had camping world intall ours cost us $75 as Good Sams members. It works great.
dwa1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 04:52 PM   #9

Well started getting ready for the Splendide delivery. Cabinet not deep enough, had to take the back wall down. Sad how these motorhomes are constructed. They cut everything with a zip saw leave saw dust all over the place and then put up a wall without cleaning up the saw dust. SAD

Old 07-19-2020, 05:00 PM   #10

Well the parts finally came in for the vent and the Spendide XC2100 is now installed.
Ran a couple of test loads all good.

I purchased the hold down mounts for the feet of the washer. Great idea as it was walking to the left while running.
Wife is happy!