Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2015, 12:07 PM   #1

Tire Conclusion

It was time for tires on my 2008 Georgetown. They had plenty of tread but they also had lots of cracks all over them and even some deep cuts. I did a lot of digging and calling local places and came across a couple interesting things I thought I’d share.

First Costco was by-far the cheapest, they can’t mount or balance a tire this size but they can order the tire for you. $1804 for 6 Michelin XRV’s of the correct size. That’s CRAZY cheap, so cheap that I think they wouldn’t have honored it once they went to order it. But it’s worth noting. Checking around it seemed like about $50/ea to have those tires mounted at a local truck stop. So it you’re the DIY type, and don’t mind moving around 60 pound tires, you might check out this option.

Calling around I talked to lots of places. You’re dealing with truck sized tires here so check with your local truck stop / industrial type of places. The best prices where at Les Schwab, I called the big Les Schwab near the big truck stop in Portland, OR since they do truck tires all day every day. Apparently FedEx’s standard delivery truck uses the same size tires we need. And the big Les Schwab has the local contract for FedEx, so they always have these tires in stock and they’re at least good enough for FedEx to use.

These Toyo’s don’t have the UV protection that Michelin XRV’s do but they're a lot cheaper too. A set of tires covers will solve the UV problem and only cost me $110 at camping world. And they’re surprisingly easy to put on and take off if you read up on how to do it properly. (The bungy goes over the top of the tire, but that’s a story for another time) The Toyo’s are also slightly different proportions but the overall tire size with within 0.5% of the OEM Michelin’s.

Prices I found (for all 6 tires, includes mount and balance):
Toyo M154’s @Les Schwab - $2,386 (This is what I went with)
Michelin XRV @Les Schwab - $3,333
Bridgestone X250’s @ Les Schwab - $3,543

My invoice is attached for more detail.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tires.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	174.3 KB
ID:	72354  
Old 03-28-2015, 12:15 PM   #2

Balancing

Another interesting thing I came across was balancing. Several of the truck stops I talked to just don’t do it. Apparently a lot of the over-the-road trucks just don’t bother with it. You can see in the invoice above it’s pretty cheap. But I guess if you’re running a fleet of trucks it adds up.

I wanted the tires balanced. I can afford the extra money and it can't hurt. This ruled out a lot of places I might have otherwise purchased tires.

One problem is that you can’t (or shouldn’t) attach a traditional wheel weight to our pretty aluminum rims. The inner rims on the rear is steel, but the other four present an aluminum challenge . So here’s what Les Schwab did for balancing. I watched the whole thing and talked with the guy doing it the whole time.

Front Tires (Aluminum Rims) -- Balanced with sticky wheel weights on inner side of rim.
Inner Rear Tires (Steel Rims) -- Balanced with traditional clamp on wheel weights
Outer Rear Tire (Aluminum Rims) - Balanced with EQUAL

EQUAL is a bag of sand they throw inside the tire. Once you start driving the bag breaks up and the sand provides a dynamic balance.
http://www.imiproducts.com/products/equal/
Old 03-28-2015, 12:28 PM   #3

Tire Covers

I bought the AdCo Ultra Tyre Gard tire covers from Camping World, because that's what they had in stock. But I was surprised when I got the XL sized covers home they they didn't fit the tire. They would go over the tire but they left about 6" of the bottom of the tire exposed to sunlight. So I had to go back and buy the bus sized tire cover.

The instructions on the box aren't at all clear. But the bungy cords are intended to be attached and left attached. You then pull the tire cover over the top of the tire and the budgy sits behind the tire on TOP of the wheel hub. Doing it this way pulls the bottom corners up and away from the ground, gives a nice fit. And means you can just slip them on and off.

When I first put them on I was running the bungy around the back of the tire near the ground. Which involved laying down in the rain each time. So I did some goggling and found I was doing it wrong. Maybe my posting this I can prevent you from laying in the rain.

Apparently a lot of people just don't use the bungy cords. It does seem like the covers would stay on just fine without them. Just that the bottom of it would flap in heavy wind.

Tyre Gards Vehicle Tire Covers

Ultra Tyre Gard, Pair - Tire Diameter 40" to 42", Colonial White (For Buses) - ADCO 1949 - Tire Covers - Camping World
Old 03-28-2015, 12:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsutherl View Post
I bought the AdCo Ultra Tyre Gard tire covers from Camping World, because that's what they had in stock. But I was surprised when I got the XL sized covers home they they didn't fit the tire. They would go over the tire but they left about 6" of the bottom of the tire exposed to sunlight. So I had to go back and buy the bus sized tire cover.

The instructions on the box aren't at all clear. But the bungy cords are intended to be attached and left attached. You then pull the tire cover over the top of the tire and the budgy sits behind the tire on TOP of the wheel hub. Doing it this way pulls the bottom corners up and away from the ground, gives a nice fit. And means you can just slip them on and off.

When I first put them on I was running the bungy around the back of the tire near the ground. Which involved laying down in the rain each time. So I did some goggling and found I was doing it wrong. Maybe my posting this I can prevent you from laying in the rain.

Apparently a lot of people just don't use the bungy cords. It does seem like the covers would stay on just fine without them. Just that the bottom of it would flap in heavy wind.

Tyre Gards Vehicle Tire Covers

Ultra Tyre Gard, Pair - Tire Diameter 40" to 42", Colonial White (For Buses) - ADCO 1949 - Tire Covers - Camping World

Hahahah. I never really figured out those bungee cords. thank you so much for explaining it. Now it makes sense.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 03:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmaker View Post
Hahahah. I never really figured out those bungee cords. thank you so much for explaining it. Now it makes sense.

Vin.
+1
Except for the rain.
I can remember rain once maybe twice BUT those golf ball size rocks with the SHARP points are ALWAYS where we stay .

We need 2 for the front next month, THANKS FR.
Will be checking CostCo and local trucking.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:11 PM   #6

JS...thanks for the nice series of posts...these will be remembered next time we're in the market.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 03:22 PM   #7

I had the Toyo 245/75-R22.5's installed to replace my Mich's last month, and am very pleased with them. The UV protection thing is a bunch of hooey!

I use 303 on mine anyway.

BTW, a bit harder sidewall on the Toyos, but seems to have less sway.
1984 19.5' Beachcraft i/o 5.o liter, 4-bbl (and you thought your Moho sucked gas!)
D/W Carole and Maggie the Teacup Lab (Black Chihuahua)
Freds342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 09:37 AM   #8

Just had my 6 tires replaced this weekend with Goodyear G670's on my 2008 315DS SE Gerogetown. Ouch!
Blew out the inside driver's side rear dually coming back from Moab. Tires were manufactured late August and early Sep of 2007. Almost 8 years old so I guess it was time.
Now I'm looking for a good contact at Forest River who can help me with parts for my rig. When the tire blew it tore up the basement compartment box that houses all of my water connections and controls. Looking for the replacement plastic box that is the basement compartment.
Any help there would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Adam

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Sterling All-Terrain Tow Bar - SMI Stay-In-Play Duo
Do What You Like - Like What You Do!
Los Popes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 09:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsutherl View Post
First Costco was by-far the cheapest, they can’t mount or balance a tire this size but they can order the tire for you. $1804 for 6 Michelin XRV’s of the correct size. That’s CRAZY cheap, so cheap that I think they wouldn’t have honored it once they went to order it. But it’s worth noting.
What size tires did you price, I went to Costco web site and they don'tt list the 22.5 that I would need for mine.
bmurph44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 09:54 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Popes View Post
Just had my 6 tires replaced this weekend with Goodyear G670's on my 2008 315DS SE Gerogetown. Ouch!
Blew out the inside driver's side rear dually coming back from Moab. Tires were manufactured late August and early Sep of 2007. Almost 8 years old so I guess it was time.
Now I'm looking for a good contact at Forest River who can help me with parts for my rig. When the tire blew it tore up the basement compartment box that houses all of my water connections and controls. Looking for the replacement plastic box that is the basement compartment.
Any help there would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Adam

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
You can try to call the georgetown Service Manager from the contact listed from the forum. Other then that you will be either at a salvage yard or the mercy of a dealer. They say they won't sell parts from the factory, but I have done it twice now. Just be real nice. 7 years is along time for tire.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 10:42 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Wow that's a lot of money for tires. Some of my trucker friends retread their tires to save on money...I wonder if that's possible for RV's?
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 11:04 AM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

The reason most "otr" truckers don't balance with "wheel weights" is because the throw a pack of balancing beads inside the tire.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded, 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "2 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 11:04 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoRick View Post
Wow that's a lot of money for tires. Some of my trucker friends retread their tires to save on money...I wonder if that's possible for RV's?
I know they have what is called regroovable tires that come on CC models. How that works is beyond me. They even say regroovable stamped on them.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 11:32 AM   #14

I would not recommend regrooving an rv tire . by the time the tread is worn down the side walls are cracked and they are usually past the expiration date. Six to seven years and the rubber turns to crap. Truckers can put a 100k miles a year, an rv'er maybe 12k.
Rockwoodjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 11:42 AM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

That same toyo tire from Bauer built tire is $311.00 fet included.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded, 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "2 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 12:13 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwoodjoe View Post
I would not recommend regrooving an rv tire . by the time the tread is worn down the side walls are cracked and they are usually past the expiration date. Six to seven years and the rubber turns to crap. Truckers can put a 100k miles a year, an rv'er maybe 12k.
Good points...I didn't think about that!!
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire