Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2015, 11:37 AM   #1
Georgetown 280

Question Tire Pressure Montoring Systems

We have a Georgetown 280 and tow a Honda Fit. We are thinking of installing a Tire Pressure Montoring system for both the rig and the tow. I have done some research of the various vendors, but wanted to know the thoughts of those who have installed the systems. One of my greatest fears is a blow-out on either vehicle. From what I have read, blow-outs are the greatest threat to life and limb. From what I have read, the installation is easy and you can use the system separately when disconnecting the tow vehicle. Your suggestions and thoughts would be appreciated.

Mike
MikeFerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 02:20 PM   #2

Send a message via ICQ to Cover Dog
Just use the search feature on this forum, type in TPMS and you'll have days of the reading information.

NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA #455593, WIT #170814 & Mid-Ohio Winnies
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 12:25 AM   #3

A tire monitor will tell you have a leak. It may be slow or fast. The TPMS will let alarm when you set it up.

A blowout is 100% loss of air from your tire. This may happen but most often it is because of low pressure and heat buildup and the tire fails.
The purpose of the TPMS is to give you warning before it goes flat.

With that said you need to know the age of your tires and the proper tire pressure in relationship to your rigs weight. Many people thing it says 110 psi on the tire so I will air it up to that and all will be fine. WRONG !

I have a 2012 Georgetown with original Michelin tires and just went over 41,000 miles. I always c heck my psi before every trip and use the TPMS to tell me in the morning before I hit the road if the tires are still the proper psi cold.

I would not worry about a massive blow out if your tires are in good condition and proper psi cold.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 08:53 PM   #4

I just installed and used a 10 piece set of TPMS by TST. It took me over 2 hours to set up and then I could only get 9 out of the 10 to work. Had no problem with the towed. I called TST and they asked a bunch of questions, the oddest one was "did I have an atomic clock in the rig?" Told them yes, and they sent me a new sensor to replace the one that didn't work. All is good-- I now have a working system.
Problem--- I can't see the monitor from the driving position because its too small (about 3x4" and not lighted). To read the values I have to take it off the dash and put my glasses on!!!
2nd problem-- when it beeps, it freaks the dog into shivers and panting, guess it's the frequency.
3rd problem-- the manual is written in offshore English and has little troubleshooting info.
Am I satisfied with the purchase? 6 out of 10--- and I will be looking at other systems.This was a birthday present from DW so y'all know how that goes...
Hampton Roads VA
2016 174 Days camping, 2017 66 days 2018 24 days 2019 48 days 2020 25 days 2021 6
mogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 11:15 AM   #5

I bought a six channel EEZTire TPMS to monitor four trailer tires and the spare.
I did this after a tire failure on a winding mountain road in Colorado.
I find it's very reassuring to be able to glance at this thing and know my tires are ok.
Installation was easy, although I did without the theft proof covers.

However, the EEZTire product isn't perfect.
-->It reads low on all tires by a few psi
-->Programming it has a few quirks
-->Screw down mount is poorly thought out
-->Continues to display the last good readings when I drive away from the trailer (It should flag a loss of signal instead.)

Bottom line is that it gets the job done for me, but it could, should, and probably will evolve into a better product over time.
Gyrogearloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 11:41 AM   #6

I just last month got the TST system from Great RV Products

I only have 4 sensors on my tandem axle trailer. Written instructions typed out in English in large letters were easy to read and follow (added by great RV Products I'm sure). Took about an hour to read, understand, install and program the system. I could reinstall and reprogram now in probably 20 minutes or less.

I like the fact that batteries on the sensors are replaceable (claim about 1 year service life) and that the sensors do not have to be removed to add air.

The stand that holds the small monitor tapes to the dash and the monitor sits on the stand on a metal insert that holds monitor but allows to take it off stand if necessary.

Product ordered from above and I felt I got personal service from an RV owner who followed up the sale with an email to see if I was satisfied. 3 year warranty too.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 01:08 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I, also, have an EEZTire system that I purchased on Amazon for $269 but I only got 4 sensors for my trailer...but you can buy it with up to 22 sensors.

My only issue was that the sensors require quite a bit of thread to connect snuggly and my tires on the trailer had plastic/rubber stems that were short so I had to bring them to the tire shop to get the longer, steel stems. (But wasn't expensive, Big O only charged $5 each.)

For bigger rigs, they do require a booster device which you will want to get, especially with a tow.

I LOVE the thing! I mount the monitor right under my rear-view mirror and it constantly scrolls through all the tires showing pressure and temperature. (Yes, they can be a few pounds off of what my digital tire gauge shows but you can set the high/low limits and even the high temperature alarms to whatever you want...I'm going with 10% lower and 20% higher for my 50 psi tires and just using the default high temp alarm.)

I did have to watch the how-to set up videos on youtube a couple of times when setting them up but once they are all set up, it turns on and works whenever you are driving. (As a battery saving feature, the sensors don't transmit unless they sense motion so it won't give you readings if sitting still.)

Finally, kudos to the tech support which always answered my questions within a day and also mailed me, at no cost, extra hex keys when I lost mine when installing the sensors.
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 01:17 PM   #8
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogman View Post
... I can't see the monitor from the driving position because its too small (about 3x4" and not lighted)...

The monitor is movable to the steering column or directly in front of the steering wheel is it not?
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 01:18 PM   #9

I have the Tire monitor System with flow thru valves and I do not need any additional antenna or booster.

Manuf: Truck System Technologies Inc
Model: 507RV
The nice thing about this setup is that while driving it sequences around to every tire every 3-5 seconds.
It has it typical high and low PSI alarm set by me as well at tire air temperature.

Many of them you must select the tire on the screen to see what it is doing but in mine it rotates constantly to each tire.

The tires monitor shuts down when it is standing for long periods of time which saves battery life but you can still replace the batteries easily.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	507RV_002.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	91129  
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 01:24 PM   #10
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
...The tire monitor shuts down when it is standing for long periods of time which saves battery life but you can still replace the batteries easily.
I have the same system and the monitor stays active as long as the monitor has power.
Old 10-10-2015, 01:30 PM   #11

I have this system and it works great. Well lit and easy to see the large digits. http://www.ebay.com/itm/TireTech-ON-...-/231114435137
Old 10-10-2015, 01:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoRick View Post
(As a battery saving feature, the sensors don't transmit unless they sense motion so it won't give you readings if sitting still.)
Interesting.
My EEZTire TPMS does give readings while not moving.
When I pick up my trailer at the storage lot, I back up to it and turn on the monitor in the truck.
It takes a while to acquire the signals, but it always displays tire data before the trailer has moved.

I wonder if they changed the design?

Also, I just took apart my sixth sensor to see what's inside.
The battery is not replaceable by most people.
I'm an EE and will be able to do it, but it'll take desoldering and untwisting of twist tabs. I'm a little disappointed by this.
Gyrogearloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 01:36 PM   #13
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrogearloose View Post
Interesting.
When I pick up my trailer at the storage lot, I back up to it and turn on the monitor in the truck.
It takes a while to acquire the signals, but it always displays tire data before the trailer has moved.

I'm an EE and will be able to do it, but it'll take desoldering and untwisting of twist tabs. I'm a little disappointed by this.
The TST 507 Flow Thru sensors are very easy to change batteries with only a small phillips screwdriver. I leave mine on for months and just change the batteries before heading to FL.
Old 10-10-2015, 01:39 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrogearloose View Post
Interesting.

I got mine earlier this year so maybe it was upgraded. Also, the battery seem easy to replace with a tiny Philips head...one of those hearing aid-type batteries.
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 01:54 PM   #15

I have the flow thru model, since the 1st of the year. No issues yet.

2014 cedar creek 36ckts
2014 Chevy 3500 1 ton crew cab 4x4 long bed.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
cfiowa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pressure, tire