Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2020, 04:24 PM   #1

Tired of peeling furniture, went with Shop4Seats

Like so many others, the look of our interior was ruined by the site of pealing furniture. It started on the driver's seat and within a year both seats and the couch were in terrible condition. We tried to ignore it and even kept a blanket over the couch, but for us, it really took the fun out of our pride and joy. I read endless post about options. Being a 2011, any type of warranty was out of the question, I looked at a lot of online sites, got a rough estimate locally and even had hog ring pliers in my Amazon cart for awhile. Ultimately, we decided to go with new furniture and choose Shop4Seats. There are certainly cheaper options, but we're very happy with the refreshed look! Here are a few pictures in case anyone is considering something similar.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chair.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	336.2 KB
ID:	240807   Click image for larger version

Name:	couch.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	400.4 KB
ID:	240808   Click image for larger version

Name:	table.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	396.1 KB
ID:	240809   Click image for larger version

Name:	recliner.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	363.1 KB
ID:	240810  
Old 10-08-2020, 04:26 PM   #2

Here are a few older pics for reference. Some before the peeling started.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0304.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	287.6 KB
ID:	240811   Click image for larger version

Name:	Old 1.JPG
Views:	188
Size:	454.0 KB
ID:	240812   Click image for larger version

Name:	Old 2.JPG
Views:	239
Size:	436.7 KB
ID:	240813   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0303.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	424.3 KB
ID:	240814  
Old 10-08-2020, 05:17 PM   #3

Very nice! I love the colors and look of the furniture.
Old 10-08-2020, 05:30 PM   #4

Nice looks....Sorry for my ignorance but is that all new furniture or some sort of slip on covering? Either way you mention expensive! You don't have to answer but a ballpark perhaps. I have a torn dinette bench and just to fix a 2" tear was $600 and though we have a 2018 was thinking of options.
Thxs
Great Granddaughter - Cora (2 y/o)
Great Grandson - Zek (1 y/o)
Phillip (son)/Charlotte (6 y/o)
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 06:44 PM   #5

That's all completely new furniture. It was ~$4,500 for all including shipping and a few minor additional options. Of that, ~$1,100 was the dinette which we chose to do in order to complete the look of the full set.
Old 10-08-2020, 06:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backroads4Me View Post
That's all completely new furniture. It was ~$4,500 for all including shipping and a few minor additional options. Of that, ~$1,100 was the dinette which we chose to do in order to complete the look of the full set.
Thanks looks great...
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 06:45 AM   #7

Very nice. Love the 2 tone look. That's not bad considering.

Just curious, did you come across any seats with the cooled option. My car and th wife's car have the heated and cooled seats. While in an RV I don't see a need for heated seats, but cooled seats would be a plus for long drives.

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 02:42 PM   #8
Don

Reupholstery/Replacement Route

Your new furniture looks great. We too have a 2011 Georgetown but ours is model DS360. As with everyone else, we had the furniture peel after about 5 years and another 2 of covers. We searched and compared options, new furniture, used furniture, or covers. Since my wife says I will be buried inside "George", we chose to reupholster our existing. It was pricy (@$9K) but the bride choose her colors, leather and fabrics.
2011George.360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 06:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backroads4Me View Post

That looks absolutely fantastic. You should DeCorate for Forest River.

Forest River took the fun out of our pride and joy with cheap crap seats.

Now you have Pride and Joy in your Pride and Joy.

Forest River, if you are reading this you should recoup at least half of the cost of the replacement. Just Saying!
campers302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 06:18 PM   #10

Instead of all of the cheap "leather" crap that all of the RV manufacturers seem to be using, I'm wondering why they don't go back to using fabric. Cloth seats were used for years in all automobiles and trucks (except those wanting vinyl) and didn't flake or peel the way this cheap stuff does. It might be a little more prone to wear, but personally I consider that to be preferable to the peeling issue.
kluza2786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 06:55 PM   #11
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

Just curious is the cheap fake leather weighs less and becomes part of the "keep the Unloaded Vehicle Weight" down a few hundred pounds? Not that it's a good excuse but weight issues seem to weigh heavily (no pun intended)
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 07:46 PM   #12

Re. Dodge Guy, we did not come across cooled seats (we love our’s in our car too) but many options for heated and massaging chairs.
Old 10-09-2020, 10:08 PM   #13

The new furniture looks awesome… And will not cheap… Definitely better than the 9K for a recover we saw earlier. What was the install process like? Did everything fit easily? Are the seats as comfortable as you had hoped? Which package did you go for? And does the seat by the door recline? All my stuff is a mess and I’d like to replace it. The fact that the couch has storage underneath it is a bonus too. I’m guessing you’re pleased with the outcome?
EricNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 11:38 PM   #14

Shop 4 seats will get a call from us. We have a 2011 Georgetown 378 with the peeling seats, sofa, and recliner. I threw the sofa, recliner, and ottoman in the dump. they were disgusting at 14 months of ownership. (We bought the coach new.) We bought 2 recliners at WalMart for $189 each. Eight years later, the Chinese made recliners with tan fabric look absolutely like new. Hmmmm, (Forest River, take notice.) I will be calling Shop 4 Seats. Thank you very much for the info.
Frankiejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 06:26 PM   #15

I am currently in the same situation with my Georgetown 329. I have removed the U shaped dinette and have narrowed my selection down to Shop4seats.com as well. If I may, how are the seats as far as comfort? Does the captain's chair sink or is it firm? I am also wondering if the slide is 148" ? I am concerned with the fitment of the furniture measuring exactly 148" Any input on this would relieve some stress in the purchase.

HTH
Hilltophunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 10:07 PM   #16
Triglide

Ours peeled also on our 2013 335DS so we had them reupholstered at a local car shop.. Turned out very and now we won't have to worry about that again for many years..

2013 Georgetown 335 DS
TriGlide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 11:00 PM   #17

HilltopHunter, Sorry to say, I haven't replaced the seats yet. (Someone else on this site has.) We have a trip planned this coming spring to go to Elkhart, IN to get the carpet replaced, New sofa, Euro recliner. and captain's chairs. Elkart IN has lots of surplus stuff including furniture. In near by Shipshiwanna, IN, Mastercraft has a massive furniture showroom and they manufacture furniture for Monaco, Entegra, Jayco, Newmar furnature. FlexSteel has a factory in Elkhart. Hope this helps.
Frankiejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 10:06 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kluza2786 View Post
Instead of all of the cheap "leather" crap that all of the RV manufacturers seem to be using, I'm wondering why they don't go back to using fabric. Cloth seats were used for years in all automobiles and trucks (except those wanting vinyl) and didn't flake or peel the way this cheap stuff does. It might be a little more prone to wear, but personally I consider that to be preferable to the peeling issue.
I vote for cloth upholstery! We had a cloth interior in our 1995 motorhome. The seats were very comfortable and looked like new when we sold it in 2019.

I brought this cloth upholstery subject up with the Dynamax GM B. Clemens and he basically said that buyers overwhelmingly want the (cheap) leather look stuff. He didn’t seem interested in my suggestion that they offer cloth. He cited fire proofing regulations for motorized vehicles, but to me that is no excuse, because our minivan has very plush cloth seats and it surely must meet the same or similar fireproof standards. My 2017 truck also has cloth seats, so why can’t a new motorhome?
Old 11-02-2020, 02:54 PM   #19
Commercial Member

That's not exactly how I remember reading it. If you look at the thread. https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ry-215253.html post #10. He cites all the reasons people choose vinyl's over fabrics.

They are Debuting a new product called the Europa that will have a fabric option.
jcavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 02:39 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankiejay View Post
HilltopHunter, Sorry to say, I haven't replaced the seats yet. (Someone else on this site has.) We have a trip planned this coming spring to go to Elkhart, IN to get the carpet replaced, New sofa, Euro recliner. and captain's chairs. Elkart IN has lots of surplus stuff including furniture. In near by Shipshiwanna, IN, Mastercraft has a massive furniture showroom and they manufacture furniture for Monaco, Entegra, Jayco, Newmar furnature. FlexSteel has a factory in Elkhart. Hope this helps.

Thanks! Now!
How do I get hold of them? Do they have a online catalog?
All my interior fake leather has flaked off and ours is only 4 years old. Very displeased with the Forest River furniture!
fbcmhall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire