Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2019, 10:37 AM   #41

Thank you all, I will call Michelin and see what they can do for me! I will also check to see how FMCA can help! I’ll also have my RV mechanic check them out when his is there!

I agree the I don’t mind spending the money and have the ease of mind!

What brands would be better! Or do I just use 303 tire protectant?
Old 04-29-2019, 12:25 AM   #42

I have the same tires. I had mine looked at by a tire store. The crack only on the outside layer. Per the tire guys, it doesn't affect the tire at all. I've driven with the crack for about 3000 miles. No issues at all. I'd have them checked out by a tire shop just to be sure though...
arszczesny63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 12:48 AM   #43

If your tire people are telling you it's fine to drive on tires with cracks. It's time for you to get a new tire guy. Did your dentist ever tell you that you have a cavity , but dont worry about it. Just keep on eating and it will be fine. My heart doctor said i have 90 percent blockages but keep drinking and smoking you should be fine. Ask your tire guy to put them on his vehicle and ride his family around on them. I came upon an accident in Charlotte NC in 1987. A south bound Fleetwood motorhome blew the left steer tire. Crossed the median and hit a Dodge Aries station wagon ,killing the old husband and wife instantly. Shouldn't you be driving on the best and safest equipment available.
jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 02:48 AM   #44

When I replaced the Michelins on our Class C I couldn't even get new Michelins due to on-going supply issues at the time. I wound up going with Hankooks. They were ~$100.00/tire cheaper than Michelins and I was quite happy with the end result. They turned out to be a really good tire. Quiet and smooth riding. They were 4 years old when I sold it and still looked new.
2018 Chevy Spark
Formerly - 2007 Itasca Navion (Sold and gone)
Mr. October is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 06:26 AM   #45

No Way.

I am not a tire guy but I like to think I have some common sense. I don't want tires that have cracks. I have never heard that Michelin tires are normal with cracks. A crack chart? That's crazy. I have never owned Michelins but that is not because I thought they were bad tires I just always seemed to gravitate towards Goodrich or Goodyear. I have Goodyear Endurance on my trailer right now but I would swap them out in a heartbeat if I started to see cracks.

I would swap those tires out.

Marty
Old 04-29-2019, 06:56 AM   #46

Russian Roulette, just saying - I wouldn't want to drive them out of the driveway.
Old 04-29-2019, 08:58 AM   #47

Not good
scotty1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 09:12 AM   #48

I can't remember if was my dealer, my tire paperwork or this forum... But I recall reading that RV tires need to be replaced every 5 years regardless of miles driven.
Ron045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 09:19 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-man View Post
Hi All,

I bought these tires 5 years ago and drove about 8,000 miles on them but I did not take the RV out for about 1 year and when I went yesterday to check it out I notice my tires have cracks on them.

How safe are they with these cracks?

Attachment 202905 Attachment 202906Attachment 202907Attachment 202908

It cost a lot of money to replace all 6 so I’m hoping I don’t have to unless it’s a safety issue then for sure!
Expensive compared to a hospital stay or a funeral - NO.
myxkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 09:31 AM   #50

Hankooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. October View Post
When I replaced the Michelins on our Class C I couldn't even get new Michelins due to on-going supply issues at the time. I wound up going with Hankooks. They were ~$100.00/tire cheaper than Michelins and I was quite happy with the end result. They turned out to be a really good tire. Quiet and smooth riding. They were 4 years old when I sold it and still looked new.
I put Hankooks on the front of my Class C and made all the difference in ride and steering. I would recommend them.
Bytesponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 10:49 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtesta1 View Post
If your tire people are telling you it's fine to drive on tires with cracks. It's time for you to get a new tire guy. Did your dentist ever tell you that you have a cavity , but dont worry about it. Just keep on eating and it will be fine. My heart doctor said i have 90 percent blockages but keep drinking and smoking you should be fine. Ask your tire guy to put them on his vehicle and ride his family around on them. I came upon an accident in Charlotte NC in 1987. A south bound Fleetwood motorhome blew the left steer tire. Crossed the median and hit a Dodge Aries station wagon ,killing the old husband and wife instantly. Shouldn't you be driving on the best and safest equipment available.
Tires have many layers, one being the outer one where the emblems and tire info is adhered to the tire. My crack is around the emblem only and completely superficial. It hasent changed size or shape. I do take my tires very seriously and use an extremely reputable tire shop. The person who inspected my tire has a lifetime of experience. It appears my comment may have seemed flippant, but I assure you it wasn't.
arszczesny63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 01:38 PM   #52

There are more tire crack myths out there than UFO siting!

Here is a link from Goodyear about RV tires: https://www.goodyearrvtires.com/tire...uidelines.aspx

Here is Michelin's Guide: https://www.tiretraker.com/michelin.pdf

I take most experiences people have about blow outs with a grain of salt. There are so many factors that can cause damage to a tire that contribute to a failure that in MHO are blamed on "cracks" because they are "see-able". Running on low pressure, bad impact, accidental curbing/bruising, all cause damage but isn't apparent like the dreaded cracking. That person who swears his tire failed because it showed some cracking may not remember 6 months ago when they ran 100 miles in the summer heat. That tire was under inflated and actually damaged because of excess load and heat. Must be the cracking, because that is what they can SEE.

Take them to a reliable tire professional and get them inspected. If you have questions on how they were treated before they came into your possession, change them out. Who knows, they could have been run under inflated and have internal damage you can't see and could blow out at any time. Cracks are just visible and get all the attention.

Bottomline... commonsense, proper maintenance and use.
Old 04-29-2019, 05:22 PM   #53

Send a message via Skype™ to John Boates
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLOODYBILL View Post
Definitely not safe
Highly recommend you don’t drive on them
Save a life
What's your life worth, get rid of these tires immediately . Just watch a YouTube video on a tire blowout and you won't be long getting rid of these tires.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Forest River Forums mobile app
John Boates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 06:01 PM   #54

John and Bloody...lol

I learned along time about tires, brakes and steering.

I used to tell customers...it doesn’t matter if it will start or not as long as it stops and steers.
You would be amazed at how people drive stuff

We were on a trip one time with my old boss....a rickety car psssed us making all kinds of racket and smoking. My old boss said...as long as it will make a noise. Lord that was 30+ years ago.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 06:23 PM   #55

Dear E-man

RVSEF (the RV Safety Education Foundation) says to replace tires every 5 years. How comfortable are you with 50/50 odds for a major blowout while driving 60 mph on your next trip? Yep... it is time for NEW TIRES. Milage doesn't mean anything on RV tires. Your tires are dry-rotted and the cracks show it.

Bob
RobertK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 06:29 PM   #56

REPLACE before any trip farther than the tire store.
Drive under 55 on your way there
Tblt44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 06:45 PM   #57

Replace!

Replace them! When you get new ones, when you wash them put a UV Inhibition, UV Blocker, tire dressing on them.
charlie g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 06:46 PM   #58

Gator Tires

I use to own two tire shops here in Arizona. We loved seeing these as we call them Gator Tires - they leave gators all over the road. If your lucky the case will hold the trailer up - but that's if your very lucky. I've seen the results of a tire blow out and the trailer flipped. Change them out NOW...
eaglecrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 06:47 PM   #59

I swapped my severely cracked 5 yr old Michelin XRVs for Toyo M 154s. They are a bit louder on the highway, but after 1 year they still look new. (Michelins were already showing cracks at 1 yr.)
Maladjusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 06:51 PM   #60
Commercial Member

Did you keep them fully inflated all the time? Checking once a month?

Go to a Michelin tire dealer and have them inspected. Follow the dealer advice.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crack, tire, tires