Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2015, 04:10 PM   #1

Toilet Issues, Again

We have a 2015 GT 329 that the toilet barely runs any water out of. It worked fine for the first 3 days of our first trip, and now just a trickle comes out. Had it into the RV shop 3 times, and each time they say the valve was clogged, but now it's ready to go. This last time I turned on the water pump and checked the flush on the toilet while still at the RV shop, and just a trickle came out. The RV shop stated it must have clogged again. I use double in-line filters, plus the house filter. I'm wondering if someone at the factory left a residue in the FW tank.
Anyone had this issue before??
Days Camped 2017 = 56
Days Camped 2018 = 74
MSB68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 04:13 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Pretty common on a new unit.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "9 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 04:18 PM   #3

Trubs - any idea on how to clean out the FW tank?
Days Camped 2017 = 56
Days Camped 2018 = 74
Old 06-11-2015, 04:19 PM   #4

There is a valve or water line, that screws off behind the toilet. When you get no water, just unscrew with your fingers, have a bowl and towel ready for water in the line, and clean out the filter toilet side with a tooth pick or x small type brush. Take 10 mins. tops. Easier then going to the dealer.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 07:16 PM   #5

I had the same frustrating problem. Turned out to be my anode rod in the hot water heater. Removed it and flushed the HW heater and installed a new rod. Still had a problem and it turned out to be some remaining sediment in the toilet line. Cleaned it and so far one week later all is fine. I went through this frustration for over two years. My lesson learned was replace the rod every year.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
buddyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 07:22 PM   #6

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman12 View Post
There is a valve or water line, that screws off behind the toilet. When you get no water, just unscrew with your fingers, have a bowl and towel ready for water in the line, and clean out the filter toilet side with a tooth pick or x small type brush. Take 10 mins. tops. Easier then going to the dealer.
Thanks for the advice, but we already blew out all the lines, cleaned them out with toothpick and drained all the tanks, several times. I even hooked up a hose to the FW line and then took the low level drain plug out and let it drain through. Also, cleaned and flushed the WH 3 times.
Days Camped 2017 = 56
Days Camped 2018 = 74
Old 06-11-2015, 07:23 PM   #7
Site Team

Turn off the pump /disconnect from city water, open sink valve to relieve pressure Disconnect the water line from the back of the toilet put a bucket under the waterline and turn on the pump. let a good stream of water flow for a while to flush any crud that might be in the lines.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 10:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSB68 View Post
We have a 2015 GT 329 that the toilet barely runs any water out of. It worked fine for the first 3 days of our first trip, and now just a trickle comes out. Had it into the RV shop 3 times, and each time they say the valve was clogged, but now it's ready to go. This last time I turned on the water pump and checked the flush on the toilet while still at the RV shop, and just a trickle came out. The RV shop stated it must have clogged again. I use double in-line filters, plus the house filter. I'm wondering if someone at the factory left a residue in the FW tank.
Anyone had this issue before??
You said above...
" I use double in-line filters, plus the house filter"
This may be the problem. If you use a regular house filter this may reduce the water pressure to a trickle.
How does it run when you disconnect from the hose and only use the water tank and pump?
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 10:49 AM   #9

You use 3 filters? How is the pressure everywhere else? Maybe this is the problem, disconnect some or all for testing. It sounds like a blockage/clog somewhere. Unless the toilet itself is the culprit.

Nights Camped (2018-16) (2017-16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 11:04 AM   #10

I did not know that the water for the toilet went thru the hot water heater!
gunn1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 11:11 AM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunn1976 View Post
Seen that to.
Pretty hard for anode rod particles in the water heater to get into the cold supply system.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "9 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 11:32 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunn1976 View Post
It doesn't.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 11:44 AM   #13

Thanks for all the suggestions. When I stated I use a total of 3 filters, that's when I fill the FW tank. I only use 2 at a CG. Water pressure is always great at the kitchen sink and bathroom sink; it's just that the toilet has none. Since it's at the RV shop now, I can't work on it, however, I will try all the suggestions if this happens again.
Days Camped 2017 = 56
Days Camped 2018 = 74
Old 06-12-2015, 03:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyu View Post
I had the same frustrating problem. Turned out to be my anode rod in the hot water heater. Removed it and flushed the HW heater and installed a new rod. Still had a problem and it turned out to be some remaining sediment in the toilet line. Cleaned it and so far one week later all is fine. I went through this frustration for over two years. My lesson learned was replace the rod every year.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
I'm confused...you have hot water from the water heater flushing your toilet? Why?
Kirby the Old Dog, passed but still in our hearts
Max E. Dog, the new pup
Eureka the Old Cat, still hangin' on
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 06:17 AM   #15

Actually, I had the same problem with the water flow, you have to do a little bit of extra work.

First, you do need to unscrew the water connection to the toilet. In addition, there is a small valve there that you will need to actually remove (I think it is a single screw that holds it). Once you get that out, you will probably find there is some leftover calcium in there that is blocking things. I also ran a piece of large fishing leader -- think .090 gauge like for a weed eater, in through the outlet side in the toilet until it came out where the valve is.

Since you have already cleared your lines, once you do this, you "may" be good.

You will want to check your pressure/flow with the hose removed just to make sure it is flowing, then put everything back together.

I know you said it is at the shop, but this is what I had to do -- 2x's.

What I believe happens, and filters aren't going to help here, is the calcium in the water solidifies when the water sits in the lines for a period of time. This seems to be especially true if the RV sits long enough to where there is some evaporation that can occur within the lines. This is what I had coming out of my valve and hose when I unclogged it -- and yes, I do have filters as well.

As a side note, unscrew the bathroom faucet screen piece, this accumulates the calcium as well and will restrict flow there too.

Good Luck
HookupAndGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 05:38 PM   #16

Toiilet valve

I had the same problem with my 2007 Georgetown. I found that there was a lot of saw dust in the valve. After cleaning it several times I purchased a new valve. Each time it started to run slow I would change the valve and clean the one I took off. It is only two screws that hold on the valve and is an easy change. Finally after about a year of use I had no more problems and now I have a spare valve. I do not know why I never had any problems with saw dust in any other part of my water system or filters.
Thom Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 09:14 PM   #17

Hi MSB68, we had the same problem in our 2013 Forester. The normal anode rod sludge is the problem, but it goes further. Seems there must be a small air pocket at the top of the hot water heater. The hot (red pex) line is out near the top, and the cold (blue pex) line goes in at the bottom. The anode sludge lays at the bottom. When the toilet flushes that air pocket pressure pushes a little hot water and sludge back out of the heater tank into the cold water line, and the high flow rate of the toilet pulls the sludge in to clog at its inlet filter screen. I solved mine by cutting the blue pex water heater inlet line and installing a half-inch "SharkBite" one-way in-line valve (from the orange big box store) so the water heater can not back flow. But now the pump hammers a little at our cold water faucets because they don't have the air pocket pressure cushion to smooth out their flow.
Slideless C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 10:18 AM   #18

I've found its just easier changing the anode rod once a season then fooling around with the plumbing.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote