Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2019, 10:30 AM   #1

Tow Haul

I drive with tow haul on all the time. We have a Georgetown GLI5 with the V 10 and I believe 6 speed transmission. My question is if 1st gear on the shifter is the same as continuing to depress the brake to gear down on declines. My first thought is first gear is first gear no matter. Also can that engine handle 4500 rpm or higher for a couple miles either climbing or descending.
coffeegrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 10:41 AM   #2

You may manually select first gear but the Powertrain Control Module will override any driver inputs to prevent damage to the engine. In otherwords, you might want first but the PCM decides second is better. Driver inputs on throttle and transmission are technically "suggestions", the PCM has the ultimate authority on driver inputs..
4500 rpm is fine for the Ford based V10.
Old 07-04-2019, 10:46 AM   #3
Kanadian Kamper

Not sure why you have the tow/haul activated all the time, but I guess it doesn’t really matter. You didn’t say if you’re towing all the time.

As far as 4500RPM for a couple of miles.....I’ll let others chime in on that. How big are these hills/mountains? Is this because you’ve got the cruise control engaged or are you in charge of the gas pedal? If you’re revving that fast regularly, stay on top of monitoring your engine oil, engine temps, transmission temps etc etc.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 01:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Not sure why you have the tow/haul activated all the time, but I guess it doesn’t really matter. You didn’t say if you’re towing all the time.

As far as 4500RPM for a couple of miles.....I’ll let others chime in on that. How big are these hills/mountains? Is this because you’ve got the cruise control engaged or are you in charge of the gas pedal? If you’re revving that fast regularly, stay on top of monitoring your engine oil, engine temps, transmission temps etc etc.

I’m thinking 7% grades. I don’t use cruise control in hilly or mountain areas and control by foot pedal. The slower I can descend the better for my wife. Did not realize there was a PCM that over rides the driver
coffeegrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 02:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post

Tow haul should always be activated! Why because the chassis always has a load on it! And it helps with braking. These motors love to rev and on my old 02 V-10 Excursion with TT I was at 18k lbs combined and the engine would routinely see 4K rpm in the mountains and never complain. Not sure on these new 3 valve V-10's, but I would assume they are similar. I may get a tune from 5 star tuning to help with the shifting duties. It will also hold a gear longer. It's a huge improvement over the factory programming!

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 08:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeegrinder View Post
I drive with tow haul on all the time. We have a Georgetown GLI5 with the V 10 and I believe 6 speed transmission. My question is if 1st gear on the shifter is the same as continuing to depress the brake to gear down on declines. My first thought is first gear is first gear no matter. Also can that engine handle 4500 rpm or higher for a couple miles either climbing or descending.
Here is a document that explains Tow Haul Mode and what it is used for and how to use it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TowHaulMode (1).jpg
Views:	172
Size:	409.9 KB
ID:	208979   Click image for larger version

Name:	TowHaulMode (2).jpg
Views:	140
Size:	373.3 KB
ID:	208980   Click image for larger version

Name:	TowHaulMode (3).jpg
Views:	123
Size:	434.3 KB
ID:	208981  
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 12:38 PM   #7

I use tow/haul all time as well. Mainly for breaking purposes. On my 2017 model it don’t change the shift points which I like. I’ve had my rpms around 5k range doing down hill.
Old 07-21-2019, 04:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayouownbeer View Post
I use tow/haul all time as well. Mainly for breaking purposes. On my 2017 model it don’t change the shift points which I like. I’ve had my rpms around 5k range doing down hill.
We recently returned from a trip to Arizona. On some of the mou tain highways it seemed we were doing 42oo rpm uphill and down!

Toad 2015 Toyota Tacoma
Tbonz is offline   Reply With Quote