Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2022, 12:18 PM   #1

Towing 22’ pontoon behind 2021.5 36D7

Ok, this is going to sound really weird, but we are going to be towing a 22’ pontoon boat behind our motorhome in a couple weeks.

We used to tow a 18’ speedboat behind our old motorhome with no issues, but our new coach is 2’ longer and the pontoon trailer is a few feet longer.

Anyone ever done this? Anything I need to watch out for? Am I an idiot even contemplating this?

Thanks as always for your help!
_nelsonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 12:46 PM   #2
NXR

Never towed a boat but it shouldn't be any different than a car. Stay within your towing weight limits, watch the tongue weight, have the trailer level, have brakes on the trailer and it should just work.

The only legality is that some states may have a maximum length less than yours but usually the lowest is 60' except for a few of them. I've never ever heard of someone getting pulled over for being too long, especially in a non-commercial vehicle.

This RVIA PDF on state laws probably is still reasonably accurate: https://www.rvia.org/system/files/me...V%20Length.pdf

The big question is how you plan to launch the pontoon boat. If you're going to back the motorhome down the ramp, please have someone shoot a video so we all can enjoy it.

Like this guy:

Ray
Old 06-20-2022, 03:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Never towed a boat but it shouldn't be any different than a car. Stay within your towing weight limits, watch the tongue weight, have the trailer level, have brakes on the trailer and it should just work.

The only legality is that some states may have a maximum length less than yours but usually the lowest is 60' except for a few of them. I've never ever heard of someone getting pulled over for being too long, especially in a non-commercial vehicle.

This RVIA PDF on state laws probably is still reasonably accurate: https://www.rvia.org/system/files/me...V%20Length.pdf

The big question is how you plan to launch the pontoon boat. If you're going to back the motorhome down the ramp, please have someone shoot a video so we all can enjoy it.

Like this guy:

Ray

Here’s a picture of me launching our speed boat behind the Coachmen at Summerville Lake in WV:

Click image for larger version

Name:	PluginImage1655756927.633668.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	316.1 KB
ID:	275214
Old 06-20-2022, 04:27 PM   #4
clr

As long as your are within the legal length limit for the overall combination within the states that you will be towing. I see no real problem with this I know that Texas has a 65 foot max length for the combination of all towed units. Maryland was only 55 feet I think. I had a friend that was pulled over and measured by the Texas DOT, so it does happen. By my friend was legal so no problem.
I did this many times with an old camper class C and a 20 foot fishing boat. Only problem for me was that the boat would disappear behind the camper while backing. The boat was narrower than the camper was wide. But I learned to snake the boat backwards to the ramp. Easier than it sounds.
2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 06:56 PM   #5
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by _nelsonc
Here’s a picture of me launching our speed boat behind the Coachmen at Summerville Lake in WV
Is there ever a risk that the rear wheel hubs will go underwater? Or the 7-pin connector?

Ray
Old 06-21-2022, 07:45 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Is there ever a risk that the rear wheel hubs will go underwater? Or the 7-pin connector?

Ray

I will not be using the RV to launch the pontoon, but i assume it would require less depth to get off the trailer than the speed boat due to less weight.
Old 06-21-2022, 06:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by _nelsonc View Post
Ok, this is going to sound really weird, but we are going to be towing a 22’ pontoon boat behind our motorhome in a couple weeks.

We used to tow a 18’ speedboat behind our old motorhome with no issues, but our new coach is 2’ longer and the pontoon trailer is a few feet longer.

Anyone ever done this? Anything I need to watch out for? Am I an idiot even contemplating this?

Thanks as always for your help!
Do it all the time. Hardly know It is behind me. I can launch 21 ft. pontoon easily and take it out without any problem. Differentials are not even close to getting under water and it doesn't matter anyway as there is a breather tube with a one way check valve to prevent water from entering diff. It also does not matter if electrical plug gets submerged.

The only thing that concerns me is if I were to get stuck it would be difficult to find a place to connect tow cable to as there is no actual bumper but there is probably a workaround for that if I stared at the problem long enough.

I must say though I do get a few folks gather around to watch. I am quit often at an RV resort at the time and the owners or other RV folks are more than willing to help with the enticement of an evening wine cruise.
Old 06-22-2022, 09:22 AM   #8

That video reminds me of a trip I took. My friend's horse had never packed before, and neither one of us are cowboys. The horse would go nuts every 1/2 hour or so, and usually dump everything off his pack. Towards the end of the trip, the horse actually fell down, with the pack on. I had tried to snub her lead around a tree, and instead got my hand severely "barked" around the tree as she pulled loose. While I was tending my hand, my buddy went after the horse. When he came back, he said "My horse almost died, then I put my pistol back in the holster". I wonder if the dog survived.
Old 06-22-2022, 09:46 AM   #9

Pontoon boats don't weigh much but their shapes are aerodynamic nightmares so I'd be interested in the fuel hit you take when towing. Towing my SeaDory used the same fuel or more than my travel trailer despite it being well less than half the weight and of a so-called aerodynamic shape.

The linked video is a reminder to not leave the tow vehicle in reverse and set the brakes when stopped.

-- Chuck
Old 06-22-2022, 04:12 PM   #10

I think it is a reminder not to leave the dog unattended in the motorhome with the engine running, and keys in the ignition. Notice, the brake lights were lit, and suddenly, the backup lights came on.

My friends left their cat in the truck while unhooking the trailer, and it locked them out.
Old 06-22-2022, 04:39 PM   #11
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnoland30
I think it is a reminder not to leave the dog unattended in the motorhome with the engine running, and keys in the ignition. Notice, the brake lights were lit, and suddenly, the backup lights came on.

My friends left their cat in the truck while unhooking the trailer, and it locked them out.
More like "You have a Parking brake. USE IT."

Friends of ours used to leave the campground water spigot on when they went out. Then their cat batted the kitchen faucet on full, the gray tank overflowed, the shower overflowed, and they came back to a real mess.

In addition to the water spigot, I also turn the propane tank off when we leave. I really don't want the dog jumping on the stove and turning the propane on.

Ray
Old 06-22-2022, 05:43 PM   #12

maneuvering and backing down the ramp gotta be awful hard?
finding a spot to PARK the motor home and trailer after you launch is going to be more difficult!

if you use the motorhome ... I see no reason why you shouldn't

your rear wheels will probably never see the slippery slime so it will be safe , barring any accidental reversing.
Aussieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 08:02 PM   #13

highway patrol has better things to do than measure rvs with boats. 16 years doing it and never been bothered.
Thomas ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 09:29 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas ho View Post
highway patrol has better things to do than measure rvs with boats. 16 years doing it and never been bothered.
Might work where you live. Here the State Troopers stop overlong and ilkegak combinations all the time.

Better things to do? To our troopers a violation is a violation and they're more than happy to cite you for one. Patrolling the highways is their only job.

Some are lucky and get away with violations. Others aren't and end up with lighter wallets.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 01:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Might work where you live. Here the State Troopers stop overlong and ilkegak combinations all the time.

Better things to do? To our troopers a violation is a violation and they're more than happy to cite you for one. Patrolling the highways is their only job.

Some are lucky and get away with violations. Others aren't and end up with lighter wallets.

Where are you located? I “think” we are going to be under 65’ which is the max on the roads I will be traveling on this trip.
Old 07-02-2022, 12:28 AM   #16

We are over halfway at this point. Tows really nice, but really killing the mpgs. Getting 6.7 vs. 7.5 towing car vs. 8.3-8.5 with nothing behind.

I don’t think I am ever going to get used to the cooling fan in the 7.3. It is like a 747 is spinning up, and I have heard it alot today as it has been 90+ since we left home.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8424.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	550.2 KB
ID:	275809
Old 07-02-2022, 07:51 AM   #17
NXR

"Killing the MPGs"? I'd kill to get 6.7 MPG even once on our V10.

Ray
Old 07-02-2022, 11:04 AM   #18

Nice looking setup. Pontoon boats are the way to go. Grandkids figured out how to pull two paddleboards behind boat and surf on the boards. Next step they got hold of pool noodles and had a war trying to knock each other off.

I really feel the drag when pulling behind my pickup, not so much the motorhome. Can you lay the bimini top down more? that may help a little. I also leave the front and rear doors open which reduces drag a bit, helpful? good question but every thing helps.
Old 07-05-2022, 03:36 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariboo camper View Post
Nice looking setup. Pontoon boats are the way to go. Grandkids figured out how to pull two paddleboards behind boat and surf on the boards. Next step they got hold of pool noodles and had a war trying to knock each other off.

I really feel the drag when pulling behind my pickup, not so much the motorhome. Can you lay the bimini top down more? that may help a little. I also leave the front and rear doors open which reduces drag a bit, helpful? good question but every thing helps.

We could lay the top down more, but it would just be laying on the rest of the top frame and I was afraid it would get damaged.
Old 07-20-2022, 07:49 AM   #20

I am pleased to report that towing the boat was a huge success. There were no issues towing it and other than a close call with a curb, there was little to no drama doing it.

We did have some up and down travel on the front bunks initially, which completely wore through the carpet on them and also tore up my bumper on the front of the pontoon. We strapped it down after that and that issue was resolved

MPG’s remained at 6.6 for the entire 1336 mile trip. Would do it again in a heartbeat as we put over 20 hours on the boat that weekend.

Tags
2021, tow, towing