Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2014, 09:57 PM   #1

Towing

We have a new 351DS and are considering towing. Weighing dolly vs dingy but leaning to dolly because we trade vehicles frequently. What are others doing? I got rid of the 5th wheel and not crazy about towing but the rentals will probably cost me more in the long run... DW thinks she wants a street licensed golf cat but still have to get it there.
kb5sej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 10:49 PM   #2

With my 351 I pull a crew cab colorado 4x4 4 wheels down. I also have the brake buddy stealth installed on my truck. I use blue ox for tow bar with base plate mounted in truck.

My goal was to be the easiest hook and unhook as possible. I literally pull truck up behind mh, place two pins in tow bar, latch two safety cable and plug in 7way harness. Place truck transaxle in neutral. Done. I can hook up or unhook in bout 2 minutes. DW wife timed me one time when I thought i could do a u turn in a too small of a culdesac. Had to jump out and unhook so I could back and turn out. Then hook up again.

But weigh your own needs. If you change vehicles often I would use a non permanent brake install. The tow bar can be used over again but a tow plate would have to be put on each car. Plus think about the tow cars lights wiring. Mine is integrated.

A braked and lighted tow dolly will pull most anything but proper width and weight capabilities must be thought for each car. Plus longer set up and take off time. And space for dolly if in tight spots.

Then you have trailers...

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 12-29-2014, 11:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABoy View Post
With my 351 I pull a crew cab colorado 4x4 4 wheels down. I also have the brake buddy stealth installed on my truck. I use blue ox for tow bar with base plate mounted in truck.

My goal was to be the easiest hook and unhook as possible. I literally pull truck up behind mh, place two pins in tow bar, latch two safety cable and plug in 7way harness. Place truck transaxle in neutral. Done. I can hook up or unhook in bout 2 minutes. DW wife timed me one time when I thought i could do a u turn in a too small of a culdesac. Had to jump out and unhook so I could back and turn out. Then hook up again.

But weigh your own needs. If you change vehicles often I would use a non permanent brake install. The tow bar can be used over again but a tow plate would have to be put on each car. Plus think about the tow cars lights wiring. Mine is integrated.

A braked and lighted tow dolly will pull most anything but proper width and weight capabilities must be thought for each car. Plus longer set up and take off time. And space for dolly if in tight spots.

Then you have trailers...

he said he changes cars often so he is suppose to cut up the front of all his cars just to use a tow bar? There is absolutely nothing wrong with dollies.
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 10:52 AM   #4

We use a Master Tow Dolly behind our Coachmen 31BDP motorhome. Some days we have the 1987 Chrysler Convertible, some days the daughter in laws Focus or even the sons Chevy pick up. I went with the wide dolly with electric brakes. This way I can load what ever vehicle I want to that day. Cost of the dolly new was close to the prices of the mounts, tow bar and extra braking unit. On the wives vehicle it is a lease and we would have had to replace the front bumper cover before turning it in. More money every two to three years. The dolly also allows me or the son to pick up cars that we might purchase.
FROG Member
FMCA Member #F438633 - Good Sam Life Member
Coachmens Owners Group Member
ResQfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 11:03 AM   #5

If you change cars often, your only two choices are (I think) a dolly or a trailer.

I just ordered the dolly to use a season or two and talk to others at the campground to decide if I want to go the route of an enclosed trailer.
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 01:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jergeod View Post
he said he changes cars often so he is suppose to cut up the front of all his cars just to use a tow bar? There is absolutely nothing wrong with dollies.

He asked what others are doing. I never said anything was wrong with dollies. To each their own as you weigh your personal needs and wants.

Old 12-30-2014, 02:31 PM   #7

I am in with GABoy. I flat tow our Ford Explorer with our 351. Issue for me weight capacity. Explorer weighs in at 4500 lbs. With a dollie I think we would be over the 5000 lb towing capacity.

Don't know how towing with a dollie is but GABoy nailed it for us also. Easy Peasy to hook up and go.

As pointed out it isn't an easy deal to setup. Lights, tow bar and base plate. Then add in a braking system.

But from my experience, towing is a dream. Forget it's back there except for camera.

Whatever way you go - ENJOY.
Old 12-30-2014, 02:35 PM   #8

I use a Master Tow dolly that has surge breaks. I chose surge because it is less complicated and have had great luck with surge breaks on boat trailers over the years. My boat trailers were dunked under salt water hundreds of times and always worked fine. The choice of a dolly was easy for me. I own multiple front wheel cars and tow with my B van as well as my Georgetown MH. 4 down limits your choice of vehicles (many can not be towed 4 down) and unless you are a do it yourself person, the wiring and equipment usually costs more for a new 4 down set up plus installation labor. Having said all that, it mostly comes down to personal choice. Hooking up is slightly easier with 4 down, especially if you have physical limitations. Both work equally well going down the road. I hardly know my dolly/car are back there during a trip. Flexibility wins for the dolly for me. Ease of use wins for many others. If I could, I would rather not tow at all and often don't. But it is what it is and you pays your money either way.
BillMFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 06:41 PM   #9

BillMFI - well said.
Old 12-31-2014, 12:30 PM   #10

I don't have a 351, but a 352 but the towing capacity is the same. and I tow my DW's RDX on a Kar Kaddy tow dolly with surge brake. It works GREAT. You can hardly tell its back there. The Kar Kaddy is wide so I can tow most FWD vehicles and can even fit my F150 on the dolly (Just for comparison).
Old 12-31-2014, 09:51 PM   #11

Yep - lots of good both ways. Only caution is not to tow more than your rated for like 5000 lbs.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:59 PM   #12

DW and I use a Master Tow dolly also, da! without brakes. Don't even know its back there. Use the Ford tow haul mode when encountering long or steep down hills. Never have had a problem storing it at a campsite. I pretty much got it down pat that most times I can have the care on and tires strapped in 5 minutes, off is even quicker. However, if I was full timing or at least retired and spending maybe months at a time in the RV than I would have a four down set-up of some kind.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 07:43 PM   #13

I tow a Honda CRV. My CRV is a 2014 .Its my 5th CRV.This is the last CRV that will be towed 4 down as the 2015 model has a cvt tranny and is not towable. The CRV tows like a dream, just hook it up and tow away.
johnnypal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 11:55 PM   #14

We have a new 270S using a tow dolly for my Scion IQ. Works great with little or no load on the RV. One problem is moving the dolly around. It is heavy and as a older guy it isn't easy. My tow car has a mounting point on the front were I mounted a 2" trailer ball. Now I just drive the dolly were I need it.
John123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 11:53 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by John123 View Post
We have a new 270S using a tow dolly for my Scion IQ. Works great with little or no load on the RV. One problem is moving the dolly around. It is heavy and as a older guy it isn't easy. My tow car has a mounting point on the front were I mounted a 2" trailer ball. Now I just drive the dolly were I need it.
I have one of these
http://www.amazon.com/Fulton-Perform.../dp/B002JQ7S6C
on my Kar Kaddy, It makes moving it around a breeze
Old 01-06-2015, 12:28 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb5sej View Post
We have a new 351DS and are considering towing. Weighing dolly vs dingy but leaning to dolly because we trade vehicles frequently. What are others doing? I got rid of the 5th wheel and not crazy about towing but the rentals will probably cost me more in the long run... DW thinks she wants a street licensed golf cat but still have to get it there.
I order to fill all your desires looks like a P/Up truck with a Golf cart in the bed (Towed/Dollied) behind the GT! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing