Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2022, 01:46 PM   #1

Towing a Car (BMW FAIL)

Hi all,
My wife and I have a Georgetown G7 40' (towing rig right now is 5k lbs). We will be hitting the road in a month or so to do some traveling but the only car we have is a BMW (about 4400 lbs).
That being said I've got some questions.
Is it worth the time and effort to get a better tow hitch installed?
How is it towing a flatbed trailer across country or even state to state? Will campsites have a place to store it or am I out of luck?
Any insights or stories would be appreciated.

Help on this issue would be appreciated. We only have 1 car right now and will need a 2nd at some point. So maybe that's my answer. Get another car!!!

Thank you all.
JEZ RV 2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 02:17 PM   #2
Site Team

Probably help if you posted year and model number of the BMW, to know if it has to be towed on a trailer.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Forest River Forums mobile app
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 02:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEZ RV 2022 View Post
Hi all,
My wife and I have a Georgetown G7 40' (towing rig right now is 5k lbs). We will be hitting the road in a month or so to do some traveling but the only car we have is a BMW (about 4400 lbs).
How is it towing a flatbed trailer across country or even state to state? Will campsites have a place to store it or am I out of luck?

Help on this issue would be appreciated. We only have 1 car right now and will need a 2nd at some point. So maybe that's my answer. Get another car!!!

Thank you all.
Can't help you with the BMW

As far as to will campsites have a place to store a car trailer? The easier answer is some will, many will not. But....... many campgrounds will have extra storage on the property ........may be an extra fee. All campgrounds are different.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 03:43 PM   #4
NXR

Towing a Car (BMW FAIL)

You might get other responses on a different site: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/

Both are owned by the same company as this one. Create your account over there using the same email address and password as here. Their system will find your account here and streamline the account creation process.

Personally, unless you can find a great deal on a lightweight, used aluminum trailer, I'd put the money into a flat towable vehicle. We used to tow on a dolly and once you get yourself into a tight situation, like a gas station, where you need to back up or drop the trailer, you'll want to sell it.

We're 58' from the front to the back of the car. A trailer will be several feet longer.

You can get some idea of prices and availability of flat towable vehicles here: https://www.irv2.com/rvclassifieds/showcat.php?cat=22

Good luck,

Ray
Old 05-04-2022, 06:42 PM   #5

As you said, get another car since the Bimmer isn't flat towable.

Your timeline for being ready with another vehicle in about a month is going to be a problem.

If I was starting from scratch I'd look at Jeeps, careful though, they've got to be optioned properly to flat tow.
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 12:17 PM   #6

We use a tow dolly Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2238.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	313.4 KB
ID:	272702 for the 2022 front wheel drive Sorento
loyda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 12:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEZ RV 2022 View Post
Hi all,

Thank you all.
So first off putting your 4400 BMW on a flatbed trailer I'm sure will push you past the limits of the MH's 5,000 towing capacity. A tow dolly is a good option I towed my Lincoln MKZ hybrid for a few years before moving to my wife's MKX that can be towed 4 down...which IMHO is the best and easiest way to tow.
If you're thinking and can afford another car then that might be the best solution just make sure you check it out completely for towing. Just my thoughts thxs
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 08:30 AM   #8

I would buy a comfortable tow vehicle that you would not mind driving for a hundred or two hundred mile trip once you get to where you are staying. We bought a Jeep Wrangler 2 door stick. It is ok for around town but really rough ride and has a lift kit also. But it was used and in good condition and about $10,000. I wish we had gone with one of the Hondas that can be towed. Gas Mileage is like 3 times what mine is on my 6 cylinder jeep and much smoother ride. Also less maintenance from what I hear.
Dennis King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 09:53 AM   #9

Towing

If you want to try a tow dolly, go to UHaul, rent a dolly and try it. Go camping, walk around in campgrounds, see what others are towing, ask questions, you will get more advice, than you want. I would buy another tow vehicle, that I know is towable, especially if you plan on RVing for awhile.
Enjoy
Billy S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 10:07 AM   #10

Since you don't say what model Bimmer you have we have to generalize here. Most BMWs I know of are rear wheel drive so unless it is a manual transmission you probably can't use a tow dolly. That leaves flat towing or full trailer. You most likely can't flat tow for the same reason as the dolly so you can only trailer it. If you are careful and plan ahead you can find RV parks (usually resorts) that have pull throughs that are long enough but they are the exception.
I think you're screwed, sorry.
jk510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 03:24 PM   #11

BMW

Thanks Joel, for waking me up, what I towed was a Mini Cooper, not a Big car, just didn’t like the tow dolly. We went to Jeeps, with a tow bar, a lot better.
Billy S is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing