Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2011, 01:04 PM   #1

Trading and Selling

These two have been a sore spot for me for about a month or so. We have a 2010 341DS Georgetown and had it in for warranty work last Firday. While we were there waiting on our rent a car to be delivered our saleman saw us and came over to say hi. He then asked if we would like to trade? I said it would depend on what you have. It was a 2010 337DS and he was asking 83k with 5k out of my pocket. About the time I was getting to the point of dealing our car showed up and we left. But before leaving he said he work up the numbers and have everything in writing when we came back.
When we arrived back the out of pocket had jumped up 10k more. All I said was NO to the deal and walked out.
Now my point is, everytime we have stopped at a dealers for 1 reason or another the salemen come out and offer a trade. But what I have found out is that about all dealers still have this 10 to 25k out of pocket they want you to give.
So what is the norm for most deals on your RV. And how is a MH you purchased worth 20k less than what you bought it for 3 months later?

Chris and Linda

PS How do you price a MH that doesn't have a NADA value? I can't find one for my MH.
lottabull54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:58 PM   #2

lotta,
RV sales tactics. Once you drive it off the lot its now a USED RV in this industry. Same as trading in, they will typically offer wholesale price, not retail. Same as MSRP. Some mysterious number each dealer comes up with to try and show what a good deal your getting because they drop X off of MSRP to show a great savings.

I typically search the internet and see what type of pricing is offered on a particular unit. Then I go window shopping starting at 20% less than the best price I could find online.

Don't take all of this personal..its just the way of it. We all get this type of nonsence when dealing with sales folks. They are just doing their job and trying to make a buck. Sometimes a big one. It just won't be mine. I decide to be an informed consumer.
Koodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 04:37 PM   #3

Forget the sales pitch and keep what you have. Most,not all rv sales people are vulchures... do the trade when you want and play hard ball..it will save you a lot of bucks.
polkatronron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 06:18 AM   #4

You can make a trade without the big out of pocket expense. I did it when I bought my then New 2008 Georgetown XL 378. I traded a 2004
Southwind made by Fleetwood. I did pick up the three years I already paid on the Southwind, but no money exchanged hands, EXCEPT from the dealer to mine to pay the difference in state sale tax (over $3000.00) I picked up a better motorhome, with a much better layout than I had in the Southwind, which was a 32V. I even got full road service for 7 years and the difference in my monthly payment was less than $55.00 and since than I just refinanced it with Good Sam RV loans which knock off 8 monthly payments and $50.00 per month on the loan(over$16,000.00 on the life of the loan) and after they paid off my other loan I received a $196.72 check back from them for overpayment. Now I'm about as close as I could get to my old payment as one can get.
The point is you have to deal and deal hard on any purchase until you come to a figure that makes you happy and believe me if they didn't make a buck on the sale you wouldn't have gotten it.
If they want to sell it bad enough they'll come around.
It's a game they like to play because most of the time they win.
Good Luck With your trade...
Joe NJ
2008 GeorgeTown XL 378TS
JDickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 02:30 PM   #5

I found a 2011 Georgetown 300FWS for sale. The dealer wants 84k for this unit. Is this price high and do I have any bargain room?? I can't find a price for my 2010 Georgetown 341DS for a trade in price.

Chris and Linda
Old 01-14-2011, 03:53 PM   #6

If he is asking 84........you have room to work.
polkatronron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:56 PM   #7

But how much room polkatronron? Where do I start with my unit? Seeing how there is no blue book, nada, etc.. I paid 86k for my unit just a few months ago. I know I lost about 7% just driving it of the lot(or so I've been told) and I can deal with that if needed.

Buying a RV is big decision for anyone to make, and the expensive of buying can be a nightmare if you go about it wrong.

So if anyone out there has anything to add, please speak up.

Chris and Linda
Old 01-14-2011, 09:17 PM   #8
Kanadian Kamper

Chris......

You guys should ask yourself.........what's wrong with the unit we have already? What don't we have? What do we gain in the newer unit? Do we want to be out of pocket anymore than we are already? There's always other units offerring something different. Does it offer what you want or what someone else says you need?

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 12:30 PM   #9

Send a message via MSN to nemo45 Send a message via Yahoo to nemo45
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottabull54 View Post
I found a 2011 Georgetown 300FWS for sale. The dealer wants 84k for this unit. Is this price high and do I have any bargain room?? I can't find a price for my 2010 Georgetown 341DS for a trade in price.

Chris and Linda
Find out the MSRP for the unit you are buying, divide it by 1.4 and then add the shipping to it. That is what the dealer has in that unit. You have to allow the dealer some profit on to that, say $1000 to $2000 and work from there. They have to make money to stay in business. I have used that formula probably 6 or 7 times and have never been turned down by a dealer on a cash no trade-in deal.
nemo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 12:39 PM   #10

lottalbull54, there is a nada rv book. just put nada rv and will come up.
jcts43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 12:48 PM   #11

trading

that 2010 341ds, the low retail is 84. you have plently of room to shop with.
good luck
jcts43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 06:21 PM   #12

jcts43 where did you find that number? I have looked on nada rv and haven't found my unit. I'm way be old but maybe my eyesight is failling. Can you post that up for me or email me the info.

Chris and Linda
Old 01-15-2011, 10:49 PM   #13

Send a message via MSN to nemo45 Send a message via Yahoo to nemo45
Quote:
jcts43 where did you find that number? I have looked on nada rv and haven't found my unit. I'm way be old but maybe my eyesight is failling. Can you post that up for me or email me the info.

Chris and Linda
I guess i should have looked at your first post. My formula only works on a new unit.
nemo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 08:01 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo45 View Post
I guess i should have looked at your first post. My formula only works on a new unit.
This info will help my friend who is looking at Georgetown 378TS,they have a 2010 Fleetwood C class and want something bigger. Like I said before, these post can help those that are looking to sell, trade and buy. So keep the ideas coming. Thank for posting up nemo.

Chris and Linda
Old 01-31-2011, 12:45 AM   #15

Yes. Go on line and Google NADA. There is definitely a section for Rvs. One you have a number that feels right, go in and tell your dealer that you want $xxxx.xx OUT THE DOOR. Do not let them give you a price and then find that they are still going to added tax, shipping, prep, etc. I ALWAYS tell the dealer what I want to pay after everything is included. That way you don't get any surprises at the last minute.
jshields13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:11 AM   #16

We traded of MH home last week and got a real good deal. Lazy Days did wonders for us and we were very happy with the trade.

Chris and Linda
Old 02-01-2011, 10:11 AM   #17
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
We traded of MH home last week and got a real good deal. Lazy Days did wonders for us and we were very happy with the trade.

Chris and Linda
Chris, what did you and Linda get to replace your Georgetown ?

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:45 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsoistman View Post
Chris, what did you and Linda get to replace your Georgetown ?

We bought a 2005 Alfa See Ya. Yes I know the company is out of business but parts and support is still in Southern Cal. It's a nice unit with lots of open space and diesel powered. We took out the warranties we needed and I got to speak with 1st and only owner of the coach. He traded the Alfa in on a 2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40 foot.
On the other hand our friends bought a 2011 Georgrtown 360DS that has the bath and a half with the full body paint. It's one pretty coach. They are very happy and we help them with getting to know the coach this past weekend.

Chris and Linda