Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2019, 11:45 AM   #1

Transfer Switch Replacement Suggestions

Has anyone replaced the transfer power switch on a 2011 Georgetown 38xl?

I'm looking for recommendations for a replacement unit that fits or is close to the existing dimensions

Here's why It needs to be replaced. Feel free to chime in with suggestions:

We checked it out and have 240 VAC coming in from the shore cable right on the existing transfer switch. In the coach, at the 50 amp circuit breaker I only have one leg of 120AC.

I was told the transfer switch is causing this

Lost power after a VERY nearby lighting strike.
Homejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 03:53 PM   #2

You are measuring leg to leg. Is there 240 volts on the output side of the transfer switch? You only mention one 50 amp CB what do you get at the other 50 amp CB?
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 11:18 AM   #3

This is a matter how must you need to have one. A friend of mine his failed and it was going to coast a few hundred bucks. I said for a few dollars we can take it out and just put on male and female plugs on and just do it manually so that's what happened he save a bunch of bucks and never felt that's he was over extending himself.. Yes he also grained a little extra space.
cfo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 11:22 AM   #4

My 2014 has a PD transfer switch. Here is a 50 amp unit:https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...solutions0a-20

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 12:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
You are measuring leg to leg. Is there 240 volts on the output side of the transfer switch? You only mention one 50 amp CB what do you get at the other 50 amp CB?
Input is 240 Vac at the input terminals. At the output terminals of the Transfer switch (light power systems Switch (or Elkart engineering) : LPT50BRD) I have 120Vac to ground on one leg and zero on the other leg to ground. And zero hot leg to hot leg
Homejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 12:23 PM   #6

Sounds like you lost the second leg through the switch. You could try to jiggle or push on the movable part of the switch (carefully) insulated screwdriver. You may have blown out the contact on that leg...

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 12:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homejames View Post
Input is 240 Vac at the input terminals. At the output terminals of the Transfer switch (light power systems Switch (or Elkart engineering) : LPT50BRD) I have 120Vac to ground on one leg and zero on the other leg to ground. And zero hot leg to hot leg
Yep, if it's not a loose connection sounds like a bad contactor. Amazon sells the item "light power systems switch P/N LPT50BRD" for $178.00 I think. Google it for other sources. The shore power input/output is the deenergized state for the contactor. The generator input is the energized condition for the contactor. You might exercise the contactor by starting the genny (shore power connected) and check the outputs then shut the genny down and check again.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 08:49 PM   #8

Youtube has testing videos.

Example:

https://youtu.be/TpPkj8aTcyE

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 03:36 PM   #9

Just be aware that some units have a remote read out. You have a length of phone cord from the main unit to where ever you want it. It is so handy telling you the voltage, amps drawing, and errors. I would not be with out this after having one with out it and one with it!!!
wanderer44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replacement, switch, transfer switch