Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2016, 12:21 AM   #1

Truck wash bad idea?

Happy thanksgiving! Quick question. I just had my 2016 gt washed at a truck wash who had rv specials. The next day I noticed light scratches on the full body paint in circles and remembered them using large brushes while soaping up the rv. Has anyone had this happen before? Could I get rid of the light scratches with wax? I don't think I should truck stop wash anymore?

2016 Georgetown 350 XL

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
sirozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 07:29 AM   #2

We've used truck washes several times for several years, never any swirls...TILL October.
Like you we're now completely covered.

I saw a MH on a Walmart lot last week, it has swirls.
The wash we use is on I20 west of Fort Worth, TX the mh I saw was close to I20.

I'm going to try "Clay Bar" and check with the truck wash to see if they've changed brushes, and maybe help get the swirls off.
Old 11-26-2016, 07:56 AM   #3
Site Team

Lots of discussions here on using truck washes. Many truck washes use power washers and if used correctly can do a good job. The problem is that there are very easy to use incorrectly and if that occurs, they will lift decals and loosen caulk causing leaks. Most places do not put their top mechanics on the power washer. The decision is up to you, but I would insist on being present while it was washed.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 09:08 AM   #4
WFD

No way I am trusting it to people working there. As mentioned earlier everything from too much pressure too close, to lifting decals, to excess pressure around caulk or the many electrical components on the RV's...a truck wash is just not a place for me. Might be fine a time or two but I think after a couple years of using them, the effects will really start to show.
Old 11-26-2016, 01:29 PM   #5
2003 Georgetown 325

X2 on the decals. I used a pressure truck wash in Springville, Utah that did a damn damn on my decals. Pressure was just too great and I wasn't aware of the danger.
reddiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 03:39 PM   #6

I use a truck wash once a year to get all the salt etc removed in our travels south....i use one just north of Tampa on the east side of I-75....Get full deal on 5er and truck...Always happy with results...J
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 05:12 PM   #7
WFD

For sure some will be better than others...if you find one you like you are in luck.
Old 11-26-2016, 05:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Lots of discussions here on using truck washes. Many truck washes use power washers and if used correctly can do a good job. The problem is that there are very easy to use incorrectly and if that occurs, they will lift decals and loosen caulk causing leaks. Most places do not put their top mechanics on the power washer. The decision is up to you, but I would insist on being present while it was washed.
Being a retired trucker and still owning a rig for farm use, truckers refer to the Blue Beacon as the 'Streak'in Beacon'.

I never let them touch my 150 grand outfit with a brush, ever. Modern paints are inherently soft to begin with and brushing with brushes that haven't been properly rinsed from the previous wash will leave swirl marks.

I'm almost positive that approaching the truck wash for remediation will be a fruitless venture.

I have my outfit sprayed off and that is it. Wheels and tanks brushed and the trailer, but never the body of the tractor.

Best option is never use a commercial truck wash except to spray wash (and from a distance) and hand wash your rig with sponges, soap and water. Costs more and takes time but no damage.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 05:43 PM   #9
larryandamy

Truck wash swirls

You can rub them out easy with a polish/wax. But be careful on the decals.
I use a boat cleaner/wax I buy at Walmart for $11 that works great, but I am sure there are better products out there that members of this forum can recommend.

I took my trailer through some narrow roads in Borrego desert with pretty rough bushes that left scratches deeper than brush swirls and they all came out... except on the decals...
larryandamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 08:27 PM   #10

Truck wash

I have had my RVs washed at Louis's Truck Wash in Richmond Hill, GA for the past 3 years. The price for my 30 foot RV is $45 and there are no brushes used. This truck wash is on I 95 south of Savannah, GA. I make it a point to tip the young men who do the work and I am so pleased at how nice my Winnebago Class A looks.
Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 07:45 AM   #11

If you do decide to use a truck wash and they offer you something called "brightener" or "brighten" and you have polished aluminum, always say no. This chemical will dull your finish. My brother has a horse trailer with LQ and it is 2/3 aluminum. Truck washes are his favorite due to the way the trailer is manufactured. It looks terrible from them spraying this chemical on it.
JoeyNiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 08:40 AM   #12

I believe the man said he had full paint !!!
I have used Maguire's Scratch Remover with good results !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 08:02 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah View Post
I have had my RVs washed at Louis's Truck Wash in Richmond Hill, GA for the past 3 years. The price for my 30 foot RV is $45 and there are no brushes used. This truck wash is on I 95 south of Savannah, GA. I make it a point to tip the young men who do the work and I am so pleased at how nice my Winnebago Class A looks.
I used Louis' Truck Wash once a few months ago. Reasonable price and job but the soap/cleaner/chemical they used was too harsh on the finish of my trailer and the paint on my truck. Will do it myself in the future.
TandSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 08:57 PM   #14

Thank you all for the input. I think I will just pass to be on the safe side. Not worth it.

2016 Georgetown 350 XL

sirozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 09:21 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirozz View Post
Thank you all for the input. I think I will just pass to be on the safe side. Not worth it.

2016 Georgetown 350 XL

Actually, with a little due dilligence on your part, you can fare well at a commercial truck wash... Like the Blue Beacon (which is all I use for my commercial truck)

Stay in the wash bay (you cannot walk around (due to insurance reasons) the wash bay, but stay up in the front of the bay, not in the office and watch the washers carefully. Brightner is always an extra cost option. Tell them you don't want it. Tell them no brushing, anything and SOFT SPRAY. You can so that at a Blue Beacon (I know, I use them for my truck washes).

Beacon also offers a spray wax and I get that. It's not bad and hangs in there and makes the next wash easier.

I always stay in the wash bay and observe, It's my truck and my payment and I want it my way because I'm paying for it.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
truck