Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2015, 10:24 AM   #1

TV Above the cockpit

So I have been debating on installing a tv above the driver seat, since the living room TV is useless while driving.

Anyone tried this and any suggestions?

Also, some are telling me any flat screen LED from costco would work just fine, and some are saying to rv specific TVs like Jensen which I am not really interested in.

Thanks
Tony
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0454.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	206.3 KB
ID:	82506  
CalifRvLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 10:59 AM   #2

As far as I can tell our Toshiba's are just cheep off the shelf flat screens.

Check your local laws, all factory installed over the dash TV's shut down when the ignition is on.

Here's a good discussion about above the dash and in-motion TV.
RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: Running TV while driving?
Old 07-10-2015, 12:21 PM   #3

I'm looking at the same deal. I'd like to somehow hang a 36" from the top front cabinets on my Mirada.

As for the TV, Anything that will plug into a 120 outlet should work if your running on shore, genny, or an inverter.

If you want to run straight off the battery (12 volts) you'll either need to buy a dual voltage TV (120 Vac and 12 Vdc) OR, If you know what to look for, a lot of TVs that run off of 120 will indeed run directly off of 12 volts, but they aren't marketed or advertised as such.

Here's an article I wrote to help you identify those TVs.

Will a 120 volt TV work on 12 volts DC – MAYBE | 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

Old 07-10-2015, 04:13 PM   #4

If you want a TV while driving, mount it above the entry door or the cabinet to the left of it so that you can sit on the couch/dinette and watch it - the TV above cockpit is not going to be the most comfortable position to watch.
Starboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 07:11 PM   #5

TV Above the cockpit

Our TV went out under warranty and I asked FR if I could buy one locally and send them the receipt. They said yes after I told them how much it was. Bought it at Sam's. For what FR agreed to pay I was able to upgrade a few inches bigger and it was a smart TV to boot. It allows me streaming in some RV parks

So what I am saying is I believe any TV would work.

Don't know why my wife says I ramble!😐
Old 07-11-2015, 08:27 AM   #6
Tim & Lisa Trempert

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalifRvLawyer View Post
So I have been debating on installing a tv above the driver seat, since the living room TV is useless while driving.

Anyone tried this and any suggestions?

Also, some are telling me any flat screen LED from costco would work just fine, and some are saying to rv specific TVs like Jensen which I am not really interested in.

Thanks

Tony

Yes, I installed a TV there several years ago for the same reason. Bought a "cheap" LED TV at Costco and it works great. Drilled a hole from the DVD cabinet to the middle cabinet for the hookups and power. I had to take the center cabinet door off and I have it stored in case I ever want to revert back to original. In a nutshell, I built a wood frame, stained to match, and then "sandwiched" the cabinet edges between two pieces of wood with lag bolts. Only had to drill one hole in the cabinet front to secure the bottom of the TV mount. I'll try to get some pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 07-11-2015, 12:07 PM   #7

We also have a George Town, the TV that came with the George Town had issues and had to be replaced, we were told that you can't by just any TV because of the movement, do some research before you purchase.
Big George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 08:14 PM   #8
Tim & Lisa Trempert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trempert View Post
Yes, I installed a TV there several years ago for the same reason. Bought a "cheap" LED TV at Costco and it works great. Drilled a hole from the DVD cabinet to the middle cabinet for the hookups and power. I had to take the center cabinet door off and I have it stored in case I ever want to revert back to original. In a nutshell, I built a wood frame, stained to match, and then "sandwiched" the cabinet edges between two pieces of wood with lag bolts. Only had to drill one hole in the cabinet front to secure the bottom of the TV mount. I'll try to get some pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Here are some pics. 
Name:   ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1437354819.062056.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  80.7 KB

Name:   ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1437354837.515813.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  81.2 KB

Name:   ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1437354854.893677.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  102.7 KB

Name:   ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1437354881.413687.jpg