Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2010, 07:18 AM   #1

Tv is broken..........again

When we bought the rv last month tge tv and home theater were fried. The dealer replaced both and they were working fine. The tv is out again which leads me to think there might be dome sort of power surge issue in the outlet. We are going back to the dealer next week for some punchout work so hopefully they can get it figured out. Very disheartened
mr.ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:35 AM   #2

Hope they can determine what is causing the problem. Power surges can be intermittent and a real hassle to diagnose. If they find the problem, please let us know what it was.
Good luck.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:43 AM   #3

Did it happen when running on shower power or where you using the generator?
I'm not all that familiar with the wiring on these but if it's plugged into shore power I dont think there is anything the motorhome itself can do to cause a surge.

Another thing to check: At least on our models with TVs over the driver, there is a switch that plugs into the outlet that the TV and DVD player actually plug into. This is connected to the engines switched 12v power source. It's meant to turn the TV off when the engine is running as a "safety" measure so you don't watch TV while driving. Perhaps this is faulty? Try removing that and plug them directly into the outlet.
2009 Ford Edge AWD Ltd towed
2011 Honda Fit Sport towed
ronhanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:39 AM   #4

Ron makes a good point. If this is happening after you run the generator then maybe it needs to be adjusted. Could be that it is putting out too much current. Some things aren't as tolerant of voltage spikes than others.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 02:53 PM   #5

Thanks guys. This was on shore power. The DVD still works and is plugged into the same outlet. I will do some looking
Old 04-22-2010, 05:23 PM   #6

A few ideas...

- Does the rig have an inverter that could be putting out bad power? Maybe the shore power cut off and the inverter kicked in?
- Any chance the shore power is having voltage problems? Voltage sags could be harming the TV. Maybe the voltage drops when the A/C kicks on?
- Any nasty storms that could have caused a voltage spike?
- Do you have a surge protector on the rig or on the TV?

I put a device on my rig that protects against any voltage spikes or sags from shore power. So far, so good.
TulsaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 08:58 AM   #7

I have my TV plugged in to a surge protector and when I use my laptop I do the same. I guess it helps, I have never had a problem. My TV was not suppied by Forest River, It is a Vizio.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:16 AM   #8

Turns out the Toshiba Tv was discontinued because they built it wrong causing them to blow. Im getting a Jensen, but they need to come up with a different mount for it,,,,
Old 05-19-2010, 12:17 PM   #9
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.ken View Post
Turns out the Toshiba Tv was discontinued because they built it wrong causing them to blow. Im getting a Jensen, but they need to come up with a different mount for it,,,,
Not sure who posted it but earlier this year there was post about rattling within their TV but had not experienced any failure. I wonder if that's the problem with the Toshiba TVs that they weren't meant to be installed in an RV due to the vibrations etc.? Jensen makes good products, hopefully it fits back in the same space as the Toshiba without being noticeably a replacement. Thanks for letting us know what the problem is. Who found the problem? FR or Dealer or was there a Recall from Toshiba?

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:34 PM   #10

I was at the dealer for a flooring problem. The dealer(lazydays in Florida) has yheir own warranty rep. He was looking at my floor yesterday and I mentioned the tv to him. He said he had seen an email that toshiba mounted 2 circuit boards too close to each other and they were shorting out. The jensen is bigger but will fit between thr cabinets but the existing mount has to be changed. After an upcoming trip I have to bring it back for floor repair replacement of the tv window replacement marker light replacement and a screen replacement
Old 05-19-2010, 01:18 PM   #11

I've noticed CW advertises the Jensen's are built rugged for RV use. Maybe just marketing hype but hopefully you'll get a TV that works. It's frustrating having a problem that keeps repeating. More time at the dealer is less time camping!

I'm secretly hoping all my included electronics break so I have a way to justify replacing them to the Mrs.
2009 Ford Edge AWD Ltd towed
2011 Honda Fit Sport towed
ronhanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 03:09 PM   #12

what happen to the window? I have window rattle i the two front side windows at the driver/passenger seats.
ravenmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 06:17 AM   #13

One window has a bent track and doesn't operate freely