Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2010, 08:20 PM   #1

Unbelieveable tape to attach your solar panels

Somewhere on these forums, or else somewhere on the internet; I read about this unbelievable industrial strength two sided tape with which a person can attach a length of aluminum angle to the roof. This enables one to attach your solar panels without drilling holes in the roof. Can someone tell me the name of this product and where I could purchase it?
Thanks for the feedback.
Lloyd
starburst2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:16 PM   #2

It's 3M VHB tape.

Amsolar recommends the tape only on smooth roofs. Not textured fiberglass roofs like we have. Instead use 3M 5200 Marine Sealant. This stuff is amazing, wont come off, and waterproof. I put this under the mount, then put a screw through, and finally covered the mount with the sealant. A boat dealer can get it for you.
2009 Ford Edge AWD Ltd towed
2011 Honda Fit Sport towed
ronhanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 04:57 AM   #3

Let me know when you are going to use 5200. No matter where I am and the 5200 is being used somewhere else I get it on me. Be careful using it. If you get it on you or anything else it will not come off. Don't bother trying to use a solvent to get it off you or cloths. I was in the marine industry for many years and 5200 is truly amazing. It will cure underwater, incredible strength. Every time we put a through hull such as a transducer for a depth sounder, we would use 5200 to seal it. We also would put it on the back of a piece of painted plywood and adhere it to a fiberglass wall to mount equipment on. An owner decided to move the plywood and tore up the fiberglass as he removed the board. GOOD STUFF! What ever you mount, it's going to be there a long time.
kbrown1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:23 AM   #4

Ron Hanson and K Brown, I wish to thank you both for the valuable information. KB, I will try to remember to let you know when I am about to use the 5200 so you can duck but at my age and state of memory I can't guarantee anything. If this stuff sticks as ferociously as you say is it a detriment to the resale value of your coach if you take your panels with you but cannot remove the hardware attached to the roof?
Thanks again,
Lloyd
Old 10-27-2010, 10:24 AM   #5

Mr Brown
I forgot to tell you that I was about to use the 3M 5200.
I hope you did not get any on you. I got some on me and you were right it is impossible to get off yopur hands. I thought I was being clever by using nitrile gloves but somehow I got the stuff on myself anyway. Did you figure out what gets iot off?

Lloyd

Tags
solar