Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2013, 08:24 PM   #1

Upgrade to seats

I have a new 2013 GT 351DS. Love it, and am enjoying every adventure out. However, I'm having a problem with the driver's and passenger seats. I've been spending quite a bit of money seeing my chiropractor lately, and we have figured out the GT seats are messing me up!

I'm just wondering if anyone has either upgraded their seats through FR, or have you gone the route of truck seats? I'd love to find a seat with air ride, 6way adjustment, heat and ventilation, power would be lovely, if such a critter exists for a motorhome.

Someone gave me a number at FR earlier, and I appriciate that, I would like to see some of the other things that people have done, where you got it from, did you try before the buy, online buy, etc... I need to do something, because my wife has gone to the couch with the kids, and that usually doesn't keep her happy on a long ride! And my back is killing me.

Thanks ahead of time for the comments!

Casey

--Life is Good...!
CaseyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:52 PM   #2

CaseyC
I will agree that both seats are basic seats and not the greatest.
I to have had back issues since driving our motorhome.
The only really good replacements are spending $1,400 to $1,600 each for some good Flexsteel captain chairs. I suspect the chairs installed and being both 6 way electric and electric lumbar is nice.
$2,800 to $3,200 for two captains chairs.
If you are even in the area of New Paris Indiana that is where you can find many dealers who may install them while you wait.
You can also buy from Camping World.
Let me know what you find out as I also may go for replacements.

Link to Flexsteel website
Flexsteel Furniture: Bucket Seats

They have 200, 400 and 500 series
The higher the series the more plush and costs.

I like the 559 model attached

Here is a link from a dealer so you can get an idea of the options and costs.
Flexsteel 559 BUSR Captains Chair, Glastop Inc.

I also found the Flexsteel RV catalog for your to get more informations.
See attachment below picture
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	559x-busr_s.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	39111  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf rvselector2012_pdf_07-12.pdf (1.84 MB, 145 views)
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:51 PM   #3

I've also thought about looking for new seats for up front. But I really wouldn't look into "RV" seats but would look into a pair of pickup truck seats. Before we bought the MH we pulled a 38 ft fifth wheel with a 2007 Chevy dully diesel with the best seats that Chevy had to offer. Absolute comfort and support for the long haul. Maybe I'll start looking in junk yards for a wrecked top of the line Chevy pickup and see what the price would be. Mounting in a MH should be a piece of cake.!
Kirby the Old Dog, passed but still in our hearts
Max E. Dog, the new pup
Eureka the Old Cat, still hangin' on
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostdog View Post
I've also thought about looking for new seats for up front. But I really wouldn't look into "RV" seats but would look into a pair of pickup truck seats. Before we bought the MH we pulled a 38 ft fifth wheel with a 2007 Chevy dully diesel with the best seats that Chevy had to offer. Absolute comfort and support for the long haul. Maybe I'll start looking in junk yards for a wrecked top of the line Chevy pickup and see what the price would be. Mounting in a MH should be a piece of cake.!
I also thought about my Ford buckets in my F-250. Super.
The only problem is they normally don't have arm rests.
I think that is one very important feature for long drives and I think they will reduce stree and fatuygue on your arms and shoulders.
I sure need them.

Anyone have any good truck buckets with arm rests?
Old 09-03-2013, 03:44 PM   #5

We rarely use the arm rests anyway, be interesting to see if I can find something.
Kirby the Old Dog, passed but still in our hearts
Max E. Dog, the new pup
Eureka the Old Cat, still hangin' on
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:40 AM   #6
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Not sure who I Ticked Off but they removed my post which originally was #2. Did I break some rule? Welcomed CaseyC to the forums, gave an email address to Steve Stombaugh at FR to ask about whether they offered any upgraded seat. Also mentioned trying a Ford Truck Center. Be nice to know what was so wrong????

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:59 AM   #7
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsoistman View Post
Not sure who I Ticked Off but they removed my post which originally was #2. Did I break some rule? Welcomed CaseyC to the forums, gave an email address to Steve Stombaugh at FR to ask about whether they offered any upgraded seat. Also mentioned trying a Ford Truck Center. Be nice to know what was so wrong????
Per the Community Rules, these types of questions should be directed at a moderator.

However, to answer you- I don't see a post #2 at all (not even in the "delete" history). Is it possible that it got lost in cyberspace and never made it to the forum? The post that I quoted is the only one that I see in the thread history...
Old 09-04-2013, 12:24 PM   #8

Casey
I just found this place in Lake Havasu AZ for Captains chairs.
Not sure about how good they are but the have basic shipping for only $43 which is reasonable.
Here is the websites link
RV Furniture,Seats,RV Marine Boat Furniture Sofa Beds
Old 09-04-2013, 01:49 PM   #9

Quote:
it would appear that wuold have been your post 3000 ,maybe a solar spot or somthing just messed wit it
happy 3000= posts
brianj
take us
tncruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:32 PM   #10

I found another great place to check on Captain Chair replacements.
Captain Chairs - RV Captain Chairs - RV FURNITURE
Old 09-04-2013, 05:06 PM   #11
Anacortesians

I drove transit for a while after retiring from Boeing. The coaches our agency had were all Gilligs and had a fabric-covered Recaro seat. It was mounted on a pneumatic column with shock-absorber valves. had height, recline, seat-cushion rake and fore-aft adjustments.

Combined with a steering column with two universal joints and telescopic adjustments, any size person could get comfortable. I could drive an 8-hour shift with only a couple of stretches. With the lousy seats in the MH, I can only manage 2 hours at a time, with at least a 30-minute walk-about.

Because of the absence of height adjustment on the seat and very limited adjustability of the steering column, it's impossible for DW to drive the rig.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:34 AM   #12
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tncruiser View Post
it would appear that wuold have been your post 3000 ,maybe a solar spot or somthing just messed wit it
happy 3000= posts
brianj
I guess it has been placed in a cyberspace time capsule for "In The Future Forum Members" to look back and get a .

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:25 PM   #13

Quote:

I guess it has been placed in a cyberspace time capsule for "In The Future Forum Members" to look back and get a .
Actually, it was in a different thread...lol.

Thanks all for your help, it's great to be able to find people that I can ask!

Still on the lookout. I'm going to try to find someplace that has a few different models to test for comfort. Not having luck at the moment though. Heading by camping world this weekend, so maybe they'll have a couple on display.

--Life is Good...!
CaseyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:20 PM   #14

I ordered mine 6 years ago fromSuperior Seating inc. in Elkhart Indiana Office Seats Online Custom Van Seats Online Custom Truck Seats Recreation Vehicle Seats RV Furniture from Superior Seats, still very plase with them.
They have many different models that you can custom ordered to your specific need.
I ordered mine with mecanical lumbar but they also make 6 ways power lumbar and swivel
jako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 03:42 PM   #15

I just found this video on how you can restore to firmness of your foam in your captains chairs. I may give this a try with my little steamer I have just to see what happens.
I figure all the foam is compressed and dryed in that compressed state.
Seems it only needs a little moisture to rejuvenate it.
What do you think?

Restoring your foam cushion using a steamer - YouTube
Old 09-15-2013, 02:14 PM   #16

It'll probably make your seat look like a puffy taco.
1984 19.5' Beachcraft i/o 5.o liter, 4-bbl (and you thought your Moho sucked gas!)
D/W Carole and Maggie the Teacup Lab (Black Chihuahua)
Freds342 is offline   Reply With Quote