Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2010, 06:41 AM   #1

Urgent-2008 - 2010 3.3 V6 Dodge Grand Caravan as toad

We just bought a 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan for a toad but have not taken delivery of the car yet. I used the application chart at the Remco web site ( Application Charts | Remco Towing ) to determine the suitability of the car for towing.

When I looked again at the application chart after we got home I noticed that the specific combination of a 3.3 V6 engine with a 4 speed automatic was not listed as one that could be towed. I should have done a better job in the research department. Other 2010 Dodge and Chrysler front wheel drive vehicles are however listed and use a 4spd automatic which has the same generic description; 41TE.

Remco seems to generally state the suitability for all vehicles good or bad and so I think it is just an oversight. It is Sunday and we are scheduled to sign the paperwork on Monday and pick up the vehicle Monday or Tuesday.

Is anybody using a 2008 - 2010 Grand Caravan with the 3.3 V6 engine as a toad? I would really appreciate an answer or an knowledgeable opinion.

We only bought this vehicle thinking it could be towed 4 down with a lube pump. It has no value to us if it can't be and I will have to try and stop the sale if it can't.

Thank-you

Mike
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 09:58 AM   #2

If you cannot use the vehicle for towing 4 on the gorund, you can always use a dolly since it is a front wheel vehicle. My concern is the weight of the vehicle. I think the hitch is rated for only 4000 lbs towing. I originally wanted to tow my 2002 Firebird convertable but I would have to put it on a trailer. The car weighed 4200 lbs and the trailer was another 2000 lbs. So we towed a 2007 Saturn Aura at 3400 lbs for 20,000 miles and now a 2010 Escape at the same weight.

Ken and Velda
Dahlgren, VA.
2008 Georgetown XL 378
2010 Ford Escape Limited
kvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 10:00 AM   #3
Villa Estate 392FLFB

the chrysler town and country for 2010 says ALL for engine size.

for both it says "Four speed transmission also requires a lube pump to tow safely."
also noted they all say Transmission:62TE... Id ask the dealer what the tranny is supposed to be in your van coming in.

62 tranny - The Chrysler 62TE automatic transmission (transaxle)

41 tranny - The Chrysler 41TE automatic transmission (transaxle)

also it sounds like on this site that if you get a lube pump you should be okay. i dont reccomend the extra pint trick on there though.. I personally reccomend a car trailer but thats me. (they dont depreciate much or at all)
BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System: Towing
Old 11-21-2010, 10:28 AM   #4

Originally I had planned on using a dolly. After reading all the comments about towing with a dolly I decided I would tow four down. I had planned on getting a Honda Odyssey as it appeared to be the only van that could be towed that way.

While shopping for the Honda I noticed Dodge had some major incentives available. I did not know much about the Dodge but I did check the Remco website before going to the dealer. I bargained and made a deal on a brand new 2010 Grand Caravan for less than half the price of the Odyssey. Even with the cost of the pump it seemed a no-brainer. We bought the van.

The Remco website appears to list not only the vehicles that can be towed but also those that can't including ones that need to be towed on a trailer. The information available for the Grand Caravan includes two engines which I assumed were the only two available and both are tow-able four down with a lube pump. I was not until the next evening while I was getting ready to order the pump that I noticed that the engine/transmission combination I bought is not listed.

I have talked to a close friend of mine who built high performance automatic Ford race trannys for years and has rebuilt a few of the 4 speed transmissions (but not current ones). Dodge now refers to the transmission as a VLP (variable line pressure) transmission and they also use a 4 speed VLP transmission in the Journey which is listed as tow-able with the lube pump. Remco also lists the 2008 Town and Country van as tow-able with a pump and I believe the motor/transmission (3.3/4spd VLP) combination is the same as the 2010 Dodge.

My feeling is that it will work, but I do not want the van unless it can be towed. We have yet to sign the paperwork for the financing so I believe the worst case scenario is the loss of our deposit (1000). I will try to call Remco Monday morning and hope I can get a quick answer. I would rather find out now so that I can hopefully get my deposit back if necessary.

Mike
Old 11-21-2010, 10:56 AM   #5

The Stuff posted:

Quote:
the chrysler town and country for 2010 says ALL for engine size.

for both it says "Four speed transmission also requires a lube pump to tow safely."
also noted they all say Transmission:62TE... Id ask the dealer what the tranny is supposed to be in your van coming in.

62 tranny - The Chrysler 62TE automatic transmission (transaxle)

41 tranny - The Chrysler 41TE automatic transmission (transaxle)

also it sounds like on this site that if you get a lube pump you should be okay. i dont reccomend the extra pint trick on there though.. I personally reccomend a car trailer but thats me. (they dont depreciate much or at all)
BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System: Towing
Thanks for the response "The Stuff". You posted while I was responding the first answer. Did I say Thanks, let me say,

THANK-YOU!!

I missed the comments in the "Application Notes". I just don't want to take the chance that I have bought the wrong vehicle and/or wasted a big pile of dough. I will call Remco Monday morning to confirm this. It is odd to me that they would put information in the notes which don't conform to the application.

I feel a bit silly as I usually research things to death and yet I bought this vehicle almost on a whim. The price was just too amazing.

Mike

If anyone else can confirm this please post and let me know.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:59 AM   #6
Villa Estate 392FLFB

id call the lube pump guys and i would call a random dodge dealer to ask what engine/tranny is in the TnC. i know the old ones all had the 3.8lw/ "the fragile 4" speed od tranny. dont worry though thats like gen2 vans im talking about. Ive had probably 10 or so dodge vans but never had to tow any... lol
Old 11-21-2010, 04:56 PM   #7

Calling a dealer is a good idea. I will do that in the Monday morning. All the local dealers here are closed Sundays.

Thanks again, I will now be able to get some sleep tonight.

Mike

Tags
3.3, 41te, 41tes, toad