Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2017, 12:59 PM   #21

It appears that no one has answered your original questions.

Extension cord - get a 50A extension cord if your rug is wired for 50A service. You won't need it while visiting but if you ever need an extension cord in the future, you'll appreciate having the full service 50A one.

What can be run on 30A - Any single high current draw appliance, one medium draw appliance, and the low current draw items in the rig. High current items include air conditioner, microwave, clothes drier/dishwasher, and electric heating element for the water heater. Medium draw appliances include a fridge using 120V for cooling, a washing machine, and, depending on the battery charge state, the converter. Low current draw devices include the television, AC powered LED and CFL lights, computers, and chargers for portable devices.

If you end up with a 20A 120V outlet as your power source, eliminate using any of the high current devices. If your batteries are fully charged and the converter is running in float mode, you might be able to run one air conditioner if you keep most of the other stuff turned off. Don't forget that a 20A outlet from the house is probably not isolated, and has other things in the house connected withit that use some of the available 20A. If you are connecting to a 15A outlet, forget about using any of the high current draw items in the rv.

When we visit my daughter, we get power from her garage, a 20A outlet that has a fridge plugged into it. I have a 100' 12 gauge extension cord that feeds the rig's 50A plug using a 15-30A, and a 30-50A adapter. We have no problems running all of the portable AC powered devices we use, the television, fridge on AC power, and the microwave. I don't ever attempt to use the air conditioners and we don't have an electric heating element in the hot water tank.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 06:25 PM   #22
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmsherman View Post
It appears that no one has answered your original questions.

Extension cord - get a 50A extension cord if your rug is wired for 50A service. You won't need it while visiting but if you ever need an extension cord in the future, you'll appreciate having the full service 50A one.

What can be run on 30A - Any single high current draw appliance, one medium draw appliance, and the low current draw items in the rig. High current items include air conditioner, microwave, clothes drier/dishwasher, and electric heating element for the water heater. Medium draw appliances include a fridge using 120V for cooling, a washing machine, and, depending on the battery charge state, the converter. Low current draw devices include the television, AC powered LED and CFL lights, computers, and chargers for portable devices.

If you end up with a 20A 120V outlet as your power source, eliminate using any of the high current devices. If your batteries are fully charged and the converter is running in float mode, you might be able to run one air conditioner if you keep most of the other stuff turned off. Don't forget that a 20A outlet from the house is probably not isolated, and has other things in the house connected withit that use some of the available 20A. If you are connecting to a 15A outlet, forget about using any of the high current draw items in the rv.

When we visit my daughter, we get power from her garage, a 20A outlet that has a fridge plugged into it. I have a 100' 12 gauge extension cord that feeds the rig's 50A plug using a 15-30A, and a 30-50A adapter. We have no problems running all of the portable AC powered devices we use, the television, fridge on AC power, and the microwave. I don't ever attempt to use the air conditioners and we don't have an electric heating element in the hot water tank.

Phil
I guess what I said in post # 4 doesn't count? [emoji6] [emoji6] [emoji6]

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 06:30 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
I guess what I said in post # 4 doesn't count? [emoji6] [emoji6] [emoji6]

Everyone is GREAT. I'm going back to school on some of these electrical diagrams. Thank you
kentdavido is offline   Reply With Quote