Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2020, 11:42 AM   #1

Using eternabond on the seams at the front and rear ends?

So...while I can't go anywhere I am having an itch to put eternabond over the dicor on my front and rear ends? A buddy lent me his 14 foot A-frame ladder so I should be able to do it from there. Any insight on why I shouldn't do that? Right now I have no issues with water and this is my 3rd season. I have checked it and reapplied dicor a couple of times and it looks good. Just trying to do something to add a little insurance to avoiding water damage.
Old 04-07-2020, 12:00 PM   #2

One of the first things I did with my new trailer was eternabond on all the seems on the roof, right over the top of the dicor. Figured the best time to put the eternabond was when the dicor was still pretty fresh and in perfect condition. From my perspective, there is no reason to not do it. Just follow the instructions, prep the area good, and you wont have any issues

Old 04-07-2020, 12:01 PM   #3

Sounds like a great idea. I did the same to mine.
I did knock the lumps out of the existing Dicor to make a smoother area for the Eternabond. And on the front cap I used 4" width, maybe 6"... It's been awhile.
After applying the Eternabond, I did seal the tape edges with Dicor just because I am who I am, and it made me feel better.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 02:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I did seal the tape edges with Dicor just because I am who I am, and it made me feel better.
Can I ask what Dicor product you use? Is it the non sag, lap seal in a tube?

Tks,

John
Outtahere100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 02:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outtahere100 View Post
Can I ask what Dicor product you use? Is it the non sag, lap seal in a tube?

Tks,

John
It was flat enough to use self leveling Dicor.
Old 04-07-2020, 02:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Sounds like a great idea. I did the same to mine.
I did knock the lumps out of the existing Dicor to make a smoother area for the Eternabond. And on the front cap I used 4" width, maybe 6"... It's been awhile.
After applying the Eternabond, I did seal the tape edges with Dicor just because I am who I am, and it made me feel better.
We must be brother's from another mother???
Mike
2015 Sierra SLE 5.3 V8 4x4
Mike223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 12:18 PM   #7

When I see Eternabond mentioned I always repost this..

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...nce-90060.html

Last time I checked fall of 2019 everything was still like I did it last week... instead of 4 years ago.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 12:49 PM   #8

Clueless

Now I'm really going to expose my cluelessness. I have no idea what either Dicor or Eternabond are. Our TT is 4 years old this summer. We have not done anything to the roof, but we also have not had any problems with it. When I'm up there crawling around (husband afraid of heights), everything looks OK. So what do we need to do?
Eldereaglewatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 01:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldereaglewatcher View Post
Now I'm really going to expose my cluelessness. I have no idea what either Dicor or Eternabond are. Our TT is 4 years old this summer. We have not done anything to the roof, but we also have not had any problems with it. When I'm up there crawling around (husband afraid of heights), everything looks OK. So what do we need to do?
Dicor is the brand name of self leveling caulking usually used by the manufacturer on RV roofs. It is used at roofing edges and around all roof membrane protrusions (vents, antenna coax cable, etc).
Check the caulking for any cracks or loose edges. After four years I'm sure you have some. To repair you can clean it real well and apply new Dicor as per instructions on tube. Or fix permanently with Eternabond tape. Lots of DIY videos out for RV roof maintenance.
I inspect all roof caulking at least once a year. Have to touch up a few spots I haven't used Eternabond tape on, about every two years.
Old 04-08-2020, 01:14 PM   #10
Scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldereaglewatcher View Post
I have no idea what either Dicor or Eternabond are. Our TT is 4 years old this summer. We have not done anything to the roof, but we also have not had any problems with it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	071799_1.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	226488  
Attached Images

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 01:20 PM   #11

Glad I did it. Going on five years and no leaks.
Do it, just clean the roof first and be careful handling it.
It is extremely sticky, when you peel off the backing be careful not to let it stick together, if that happens you just throw away that section.
2003 Dodge Cummins w/Banks 3:73
CraigBean7672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 01:25 PM   #12

Having been down the road before with a 36'MH, I did mine the day after we picked up the new 5th wheel. That was in Sept. 2013. Still good
Old 04-08-2020, 01:30 PM   #13

I’m thinking of doing this before having the roof coated. Looks a lot easier than using a heat gun and putty knife to remove the existing calking.
Center Point suspension
2018 Ram Laramie 3500 6'4" box 2WD
Demco AutoSlide 18k
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 01:40 PM   #14

Only the first six inches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigBean7672 View Post
Glad I did it. Going on five years and no leaks.
Do it, just clean the roof first and be careful handling it.
It is extremely sticky, when you peel off the backing be careful not to let it stick together, if that happens you just throw away that section.
You only remove the backer from the first six inches. Then you unroll three or four feet, so you can position it straight down the seam you are covering. Press the first six inches down, then peel the backer (from the bottom side) as you lay the rest of the tape.

If you try to do this any other way, you wind up with the mess you describe because the static electricity formed by peeling the backer causes the two adhesive faces to attract each other.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 05:49 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semperfi24 View Post
One of the first things I did with my new trailer was eternabond on all the seems on the roof, right over the top of the dicor. Figured the best time to put the eternabond was when the dicor was still pretty fresh and in perfect condition. From my perspective, there is no reason to not do it. Just follow the instructions, prep the area good, and you wont have any issues
Did the same. Just clean where you putting it really well to promote adhesion.
primo20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 06:12 PM   #16

I did our 5th wheel about three months after we got it and no leaks after about 5 years. Happy Camping.

Freddie & Linda
2015 FR Sierra 330RLS & 2003 Dodge 2500 4X4 Diesel
TMPS for Camper & TV
Dakota EV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 06:32 PM   #17

I would question using eternabond tape around skylight! could be a pain to remove when you would have to replace it

Where ever you go there you are
grumpyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 07:58 PM   #18

It's not that bad to remove. A heat gun or hair dryer on low setting makes it workable and doable with a plastic putty knife.

For the leak protection it provides and the ease of maintenance vs. dicor alone, it's a gamble worth taking, IMO. I plan on doing the side seams and overlapped slightly into the gutter as the edge of the rubber roof going over the edge of the roofing and the trim pieces there are generally a leak point on a lot of used campers I'm looked at in the past. I have 2" for that (for ease of install) and then hit all the roof seams and protrusions with the 4" wide, overlapping the 2" on the side seams.
Old 04-08-2020, 08:14 PM   #19

I have an A frame high wall and I used the self leveling product as I was told by a nice lady at a camper dealer, on one of the skylights. It was set up in my yard for a few weeks and the whole skylight slid down and left a 4" gap! do not use the self leveling product for any angle. I'm pretty sure it would be fine, as mine was until it was erected and in the sun a while. I learned about Eternabond and I think the skylights are now very waterproof. Is there any way to clean that tape off if it were to be needed?
William Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 09:11 PM   #20

Removing Eternabond

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Knight View Post
I have an A frame high wall and I used the self leveling product as I was told by a nice lady at a camper dealer, on one of the skylights. It was set up in my yard for a few weeks and the whole skylight slid down and left a 4" gap! do not use the self leveling product for any angle. I'm pretty sure it would be fine, as mine was until it was erected and in the sun a while. I learned about Eternabond and I think the skylights are now very waterproof. Is there any way to clean that tape off if it were to be needed?
Unfortunately, I have lots of experience with removing Eternabond (and butyl tape). Our Forest River Cherokee had flat panel skylights on the slideout attached this way. The UV made them brittle and an errant pine cone went right through.

Use a dull putty knife/scraper with no sharp corners and a heat gun. Heat the area, then insert the knife and lift. If you leave a lot of adhesive, you can heat and scrape again. I have used mineral spirits on a rag to remove residue although it is NOT recommended to do so on EPDM roofs. RSdata advised me to follow this with an alcohol wipe which works well.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eternabond