Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2016, 02:06 PM   #1
Steelhorzz

V10 Performance Upgrades?

I've been researching ways to improve the engine performance in my 2012 360.
We are fully loaded and flat tow a PT Cruiser. All things considered it does as well as other gas powered RVs up the hills as we travel.
But could I do better???
Banks Engineering offers a "kit" that includes a Fresh Air Intake, a set of Headers, and a low restriction muffler/ pipes.
They show a potential, (dyno results), of an increase of 56 hp and 70 ft-lb of torque. The kit costs about $2200, and with the ground clearance, I can probably install everything myself.
I've done the same add ons with various cars I've owned over the years and been happy, but I was wondering if anyone has done these or any other "engine mods" and what your experience was ? (Installation, performance improvements,or any negative feedback.). Was there more heat by your feet? Were you happy with the results? Thank you!!
Blue Ox Tow System / U.S. Gear Unified Tow Brake
Steelhorzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 02:38 PM   #2

I think you will need to answer your definition of wanting more performance from the engine.

1. If you want a little bit more HP and torque you have already found that answer.

2. If you want better gas mileage than 7-8 mpg it doesn't exist.

3. If you want your Georgetown to climb hills with ease you make get some relief from the Banks system but I have not heard from anyone who has installing the Banks system getting substantial better mpg or the engine doesn't work as hard because of the increased torque.

I would say is save the $2,200 and your time and energy and keep rolling the way it is now. Remember you didn't buy a race car but a rectangle box on wheels.

You may do some searching here on Banks systems and chipping as I have seen some over the years here chat about it.

Good luck on your endeavors.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 02:52 PM   #3

Have you considered a "tune"?

Here's link to a thread about "5 STAR Tuning"
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ing-84793.html

Here's a link for an Advanced Search For "5 star tuning"
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...archid=5175810

This is probably the best bang for the buck.
If you decide to do both you need do the Banks first so 5 star can include the Banks system in the tune.
Old 03-09-2016, 05:51 PM   #4

I have a 2004 370Ts XL. Your 2012 motor and transmission combination provide you far more stock capability than mine did. In my case, I was tired of (1) the tranny dropping our of OD at the scent of an upcoming hill and (2) of having to finish any hill of moderate severity in 2nd gear. So I installed the Banks Power Pack and did the Brazel's Ultra Power tune (basically the same thing as the 5-Star) 4-years ago. I was curious about any impact in MPG (there was none) but it was not a real decision factor. More than anything, I wanted drivability. I got that in spades. It's such a better MH to drive now, I wish I had done it much earlier. Tranny behavior, freeway access, hill climb ability are all markedly improved. A much better ride now.

In your case, from what I have read and been told, I think a 5-Star tune will help the drivability of yours. Whether you want or need the Banks I'll leave to others who have installed on the 3-vlv motor. Optimizing fuel schedules and transmission shift points makes for a much more enjoyable ride. Your not constantly having to manage your RPMs all the time and you can actually enjoy the ride a little more than you already do. JMHO
BigMac8253 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
upgrade