Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2021, 06:11 PM   #1

Water heater

Can someone please tell me will the water heater work without using propane? I’m hooked up to 50amp shore power.
2012 Georgetown XL 360 DS
Ashlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 06:14 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashlyn View Post
Can someone please tell me will the water heater work without using propane? I’m hooked up to 50amp shore power.

What type/brand water heater do you have?

Is it a tank or tankless/on-demand type?

Forest River uses different types and brands in it's products.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 06:16 PM   #3
Site Team

If you have a tank type water heater AND if it's a Suburban brand...then this thread link may help:

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ore-36197.html

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 06:17 PM   #4
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Give us a photo of your water heater with the door open from of the outside.
That’ll help immensely.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 06:23 PM   #5

This is the switch (red circle) for the electrical side of the water heater. There is also a circuit breaker for it with your coach circuit breakers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dde.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	789.0 KB
ID:	253794  
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 06:30 PM   #6

water heater switch may be inside coach ,sometimes on water pump panel. seen them under kitchen top by sink ,or in that general area. if both switches are present , outside remains on inside switch is in command of water heater turning on and off.
Thomas ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 06:45 PM   #7
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
This is the switch (red circle) for the electrical side of the water heater. There is also a circuit breaker for it with your coach circuit breakers.
Bubbles has included a photo of a Suburban water heater.
The OP didn’t tell us what brand he has.

Ken and Terry
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
Old 05-06-2021, 08:59 PM   #8
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Bubbles has included a photo of a Suburban water heater.
The OP didn’t tell us what brand he has.
The OP has a 2012 XL 360DS and bubbles's profile shows he has a 2012 GT378TS.

It's pretty much guaranteed that all 2012 Georgetown's have the same brand water heater. There would be no reason not to from a manufacturing perspective.

Ray
Old 05-07-2021, 06:49 AM   #9
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
The OP has a 2012 XL 360DS and bubbles's profile shows he has a 2012 GT378TS.

It's pretty much guaranteed that all 2012 Georgetown's have the same brand water heater. There would be no reason not to from a manufacturing perspective.

Ray
I agree with you in principle Ray, however, when a rig is coming down the assembly line, the guys on the line have to install everything the unit is SUPPOSED to have. But if the Suburban delivery is delayed or Suburban units are on back order that day, they’ll install whatever they have to do the job. In fact......during COVID, there continue to be RV units parked near the factory that are incomplete. All built, but missing the odd component. Can’t ship it out that way.

It’s been in the news recently that there are huge numbers of brand new Ford F-150 pickups missing a key component of the central stack touch screen because of components missing. Can’t ship the trucks out, but basically, completely built otherwise.

I’ve been caught before on this matter, and in fact I’m working with another Georgetown owner with the same year and model of my past Georgetown, which has 2 different brand components than mine was.

It can happen, and that’s why several of us have asked the OP to identify his exact water heater, or provide a photo.

Either way.....here to help.

Ken and Terry
Old 05-07-2021, 08:49 AM   #10
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
I agree with you in principle Ray, however, when a rig is coming down the assembly line, the guys on the line have to install everything the unit is SUPPOSED to have. But if the Suburban delivery is delayed or Suburban units are on back order that day, they’ll install whatever they have to do the job.

I’ve been caught before on this matter, and in fact I’m working with another Georgetown owner with the same year and model of my past Georgetown, which has 2 different brand components than mine was.

It can happen, and that’s why several of us have asked the OP to identify his exact water heater, or provide a photo.

Either way.....here to help.
Very true. I'm not aware that FR has ever used anything other than Suburban as a water heater in the Georgetown but perhaps the wiring, piping, and enclosure also would fit an Atwood.

While the "grab anything that fits" may have once been true on a routine basis, the process is a bit different now. It's four days on the production line installing what can be installed, then off to paint (which can be a week for partial paint or a month for full paint), then back to the production facility to install parts that were not available during the four-day production line run. This was in place at least as early as April 2019 when ours was built.

The "production line" now seems more akin to a "Get it ready to go to paint with as much as possible" as opposed to an automotive production line where "the line" gets stopped as little as possible. Ours was delayed for a few weeks as the missing parts trickled in.

Bubbles and most others including you have always been here to help as you noted. In fact, had he not posted that picture I was going to do it because even if it's not a Suburban water heater, it may get the OP looking in the proper direction.

Posting such a picture cannot hurt and while the OP may have vanished, sometime in the future someone else undoubtedly will have the same problem and may be able to find their answer without having to ask.

Ray
Old 05-08-2021, 07:35 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
What type/brand water heater do you have?

Is it a tank or tankless/on-demand type?

Forest River uses different types and brands in it's products.

Suburban gas/electric
I found an on/off switch at the bottom left fried and won’t reset gonna have to change that to see if it will work then.
My igniter fires when I jumped with a momentary switch. When I turn the heater on from my control panel the reset light comes on but the 2 reset buttons are not popped out.
Old 05-08-2021, 07:57 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
If you have a tank type water heater AND if it's a Suburban brand...then this thread link may help:

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ore-36197.html

Thank you for your input. I think I narrowed it down to the heating element and the on/off switch.
Old 05-08-2021, 08:09 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Suburban gas/electric
I found an on/off switch at the bottom left fried and won’t reset gonna have to change that to see if it will work then.
My igniter fires when I jumped with a momentary switch. When I turn the heater on from my control panel the reset light comes on but the 2 reset buttons are not popped out.
Your igniter works for the propane side - doesn’t participate in the electric side. Reset light is also for only the propane side.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 09:15 AM   #14
NXR

Quote:
Thank you for your input. I think I narrowed it down to the heating element and the on/off switch.
That Suburban electric switch has a reputation for melting in place and being unable to be moved. I've never had it happen but I decided to carry a spare anyway. It's about $11.

Some people just jumper the switch and use the circuit breaker inside the RV to control the electric heating element.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ray
Old 05-08-2021, 10:18 AM   #15

remove the rubber cover over reset buttons. there is a fine wire going from top to bottom of the reset swith, left side . make sure it is in tact and not discolored. if bunt off repace the reset switch. its a 10.00 switch. if burnt , pull electric element ,inspect it for bubbling near base , if unsure about it replace it , you have it apart anyway. 10.00 element ,ace hardware, etc. 10.00 socket at home depot in water heater section.
Thomas ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 10:41 AM   #16
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Sound like heating element fried. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 03:27 PM   #17

The electric side of my water heater in my 2017 369xl went out. Could still get hot water on my propane side.
Replaced electric switch and electric side thermostat (there are 2 thermostats, 1 for electric and 1 for propane). Thermostats are located under the black rubber reset switch. The 1 on the left is for the electric side. Replacing switch and thermostats cost me $25 and 20 min. Problem solved.
Frank DeFeo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, water, water heater