Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2013, 07:01 PM   #1

water heater bypass location?

Trying to find the water heater bypass on a 2007 Georgetown 373DS. Anyone know where it is? I've been running the water heater but still get no hot water even though I'm able to get hot water out of the water heater pressure relief valve. Is that symptomatic of a bypass valve in the wrong position?

We're new to this RV and rv'ing in general so any help is much appreciated!
goombaloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:22 PM   #2

Welcome to the RV world!! There should be 2 water lines behind the water heater; one is the cold feed and the other is the hot supply to the coach. Jumping the 2 lines together, typically directly behind the water heater, is the bypass. Note the position of the valve. You need to turn the valve off. This allows the cold water to flow into the water heater and the hot to flow out. Your note says you get water but not hot water so the valves in the cold and hot lines must already be open.
Good luck, hope this helps.
2014 Ford Lariat Supercrew, Ecoboost 3.73 gears
Bruce and Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce and Lynn View Post
Welcome to the RV world!! There should be 2 water lines behind the water heater; one is the cold feed and the other is the hot supply to the coach. Jumping the 2 lines together, typically directly behind the water heater, is the bypass. Note the position of the valve. You need to turn the valve off. This allows the cold water to flow into the water heater and the hot to flow out. Your note says you get water but not hot water so the valves in the cold and hot lines must already be open.
Good luck, hope this helps.

Thanks for your reply. I'm unsure how to get behind the water heater. I see no access panels.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:37 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum!

Find where the back of the WH would be inside and there'll be a removable panel to access...probably in a cabinet.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:42 PM   #5

Sorry, but I am not familiar with your exact unit to give anymore detailed info.
Make sure a cabinet bottom, or a drawer does not need to come out to access the panel. Thats all I got.
Thanks
2014 Ford Lariat Supercrew, Ecoboost 3.73 gears
Bruce and Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:32 PM   #6

Its basically like this one with the 3 valves.

Their akso may be a white screw plate below or on the side of the compartment that houses the water heater. If you uncrew it and stick an arm in you can maybe feel the valves.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bypass.jpg
Views:	2910
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	26753  
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:44 PM   #7
Kanadian Kamper

On our 330TS model, there is a white round plastic access door in the bottom of one of the outside compartments directly under the hot water heater. You have to be on your back (on the ground) and looking up to see the access door. It's a bit of trick to look up inside at the same time as getting a flashlight in their to see. If you look at the valve arrangements that Iggy posted, you should see the same layout up inside your rig.

Good luck.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by goombaloon View Post
Trying to find the water heater bypass on a 2007 Georgetown 373DS. Anyone know where it is? I've been running the water heater but still get no hot water even though I'm able to get hot water out of the water heater pressure relief valve. Is that symptomatic of a bypass valve in the wrong position?

We're new to this RV and rv'ing in general so any help is much appreciated!
Lol, we found ours this morning after a weekend of lukewarm water. Under the rv at water heater, round cover, three valves, bypass was in the middle.
Lorigirl10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:16 PM   #9

That was it! I had found and removed the white screw panel under the water heater the day before, but apparently hadn't reached back in there far enough to find the bypass valve. Not the most convenient location, but now I got it.

Thanks to everyone for the help!
Old 04-03-2013, 07:41 AM   #10
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goombaloon View Post
That was it! I had found and removed the white screw panel under the water heater the day before, but apparently hadn't reached back in there far enough to find the bypass valve. Not the most convenient location, but now I got it.

Thanks to everyone for the help!
FR did us no favors when they located that panel on the 2007 Models. It's real tough to reach the by-pass valve through that 4" opening. One of my next mods will be to change that one to a 5" so I can get my hand back there. I'm jealous of Iggy's picture that shows total access to the rear of the water heater. Our only way to see the rear of the water heater on my 2007 is to disassemble the side of the coach, which I had to do to build a new support for the water heater when ours kept breaking off the screws because it bounced so badly.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...man-21579.html

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:44 PM   #11
Kanadian Kamper

I'm not as talented as Iggy to post pictures, but I knew if I described what I had to go through crawling around underneath, locating that way-to-small round access door, and by tagging onto Iggy's excellent photo, I knew it might work out for you. Replacing it with a 5 inch version (where do you get those?) would be much better.

Glad to see we were able to help others. This site is full of helpful members just waiting to help.........just gotta ask.

Ken and Terry
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
Old 04-05-2013, 07:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
I'm not as talented as Iggy to post pictures, but I knew if I described what I had to go through crawling around underneath, locating that way-to-small round access door, and by tagging onto Iggy's excellent photo, I knew it might work out for you. Replacing it with a 5 inch version (where do you get those?) would be much better.

Glad to see we were able to help others. This site is full of helpful members just waiting to help.........just gotta ask.
You can get 5" or 6" screwed covers with frames at boat supply houses, they call them "scuttles".
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:23 PM   #13
Kanadian Kamper

Thanks Vince. Looks like I need to head over to another place that is always willing to take your money.

I pity anyone with "Popeye" arms trying to reach through the 4" openings.

Ken and Terry
Old 04-10-2013, 10:48 AM   #14

Am I supposed to find 3 valves through that bottom access hole on my 2007 378XL? I only found one when I winterized. Maybe that's why the water heater filled up while I was putting antifreeze through the system.

PaulK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:05 PM   #15
Kanadian Kamper

PaulK

I've heard someone, somewhere mention that there are variations of the number of shut off valves on different makes and models. However, the picture that Iggy posted shows 3 and it makes perfect sense as to why there are 3. Are you sure you found ALL the valves your unit has?

BTW.........is the Eramosa River Café still operating across the road from the park?

Ken and Terry
Old 04-10-2013, 12:20 PM   #16

Ken/Terry, was the Eramosa River Cafe question for me?

PaulK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:32 PM   #17
Kanadian Kamper

PaulK........

Sorry. After re-reading your home location, I realized I mixed up Rockland with Rockwood Ontario.............other end of the province. My bad!

Too many rocks in my head.

As you were.................

Ken and Terry
Old 04-10-2013, 01:00 PM   #18
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post

Too many rocks in my head.

Ain't that the truth

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote