Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2011, 11:02 PM   #1

Water Heater Drain

Just winterized my Georgetown for the first time, and when removing the water heater drain plug, there is a rod extending into the tank, with deposits on it. Does anyone know what this could be for? As I said, it is the first winter I have had this unit, and have no idea what this is.

Any help would be helpful.
Rongrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:12 PM   #2
CampeRooo

It's a sacrificial anode rod to prevent the water tank from corroding.

It should look like this when it's brand new - Replaceable Anode Rods for Atwood and Suburban Water Heaters - Product - Camping World (Link for reference only, I don't work for camping world).

Joe

2000 Rockwood Roo M-18 Hybrid
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Auto 5.9 Diesel
Gone but not forgotten -1986 Rockwood 1003 PUP
rthrbelsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:28 PM   #3
CampeRooo

Oh, one more thing. Since it's you first winterizing, don't put any antifreeze in the hot water tank. I just pull the plug, rinse it out real good (i use one of these - Camco Mfg Inc - Water Heater Tank Rinser - Water Heaters - Camping World) and get any chunks out that might have been in there, then I use my compressor and a wand similar to the referenced rinse tube to blow out any excess water and then put a new anode rod in (wrap the threads with Teflon tape) to keep the opening from rusting out. That's about it. If you fill the lines with RV antifreeze, turn the valves to the hot water tank off so that it doesn't put any of that antifreeze in the hot water tank. Just remember to open the valve back up again after de-winterizing and fill it with fresh clean water before you turn the hot water tank back on so that it doesn't burn the heating element out next summer.

Joe

2000 Rockwood Roo M-18 Hybrid
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Auto 5.9 Diesel
Gone but not forgotten -1986 Rockwood 1003 PUP
rthrbelsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:56 AM   #4
Site Team - Lou

I almost put a new rod into mine the first winter I had the rod out. A quick drive to the dealer filled me in (he could have easily sold me a new one).

Tips:

1) As long as there is at least 1/2 of the anode material on the iron wire it is "good." It will look terrible, but work fine.

2) It corrodes from the iron cap towards the tip, so the bare metal iron wire will be exposed without the rod being "bad."

3) ALWAYS use Teflon tape when re-installing so you can get it out easily next year. Installing without tape will corrode the threads.

4) Use care when putting it back is so the iron wire is still straight.

5) NEVER use anything except the correctly sized socket to remove or install the anode. Trying to force an adjustable wrench into the heater area is a recipe for disaster.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:03 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Like Lou implied, don't be afraid if the anode rod looks terrible.

Here is mine after 2 years of use......and it has plenty more years left:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1368.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	4143

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:45 AM   #6

Lou,

Great tip. I have an inch long scar on my left thumb from 2 years ago as a reminder that this is a bad idea.
grandpaofthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:22 PM   #7
Captain of Industry

I drained mine for the first time two weeks ago in order to winterize it.

'...Trying to force an adjustable wrench into the heater area is a recipe for disaster.'

I ended up with 3 stitches afterward!! I used the correct sized socket, but only a 3-inch extension and as soon as the bolt broke free cut it on the outside frame of the heater. Then I had to stand there bleeding through several napkins while the darn thing drained!
Old 01-05-2011, 01:14 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdudd View Post
I drained mine for the first time two weeks ago in order to winterize it.

I ended up with 3 stitches afterward!! I used the correct sized socket, but only a 3-inch extension and as soon as the bolt broke free cut it on the outside frame of the heater. Then I had to stand there bleeding through several napkins while the darn thing drained!
Big time bummer on the stitches !!

Suburban really cranks those puppies in there tight. Getting mine loose the 1st time was the hardest. A little pipe tape, and not tightening when I reinstall the anode rod, and it isn't bad to remove now.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:49 PM   #9
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
Big time bummer on the stitches !!

Suburban really cranks those puppies in there tight. Getting mine loose the 1st time was the hardest. A little pipe tape, and not tightening when I reinstall the anode rod, and it isn't bad to remove now.
Electric Impact gun works wonders to remove the anode rod, just don't use one to reinstall it.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote