Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2019, 07:08 AM   #1

Water Heater Not Working

2018 Georgetown GT5

I know this has been asked many times so I apologize for the repeat. When I winterized my camper, I bypassed and drained the two water heaters. When i dewinterized my camper, I returned everything back to normal.

My problem started this weekend. Turned on my water heaters via electric but the water would not get hot. Verified that bypass valves were correct. Ended up using propane for the weekend.

During my troubleshooting, I realized that I did not turn off the water heaters via the small switch on the water heaters. I assumed that when I had the water heaters off via the control panel that there was no power to the water heaters.

(1) Is it possible that I burned out the heating elements in both water heaters?
(2) Do the small switch on the water heater actually need to be turned off even though the water heater has been turned off via the control panel in the camper?
hduncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 07:22 AM   #2

Yes, and yes. If you had no water in the heaters you most certainly burned out the elements. The small switch needs to off to cut power to the electric elements.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 07:27 AM   #3

It sure does sound like your heating elements have burnt out. They will burn out very quickly if there is no water. The good news is new elements are inexpensive and easy the replace.

It would seem that if you have a separate switch on your panel for the electric element it would cut the power in the off position but stranger things have happened.

rkulbok
(Ron & Karin)
2015 Georgetown 328TS
Full time since October 2015
rkulbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 08:15 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hduncan View Post
(2) Do the small switch on the water heater actually need to be turned off even though the water heater has been turned off via the control panel in the camper?
In my experience, no it doesn't. I leave the small switch on the WH on all the time. It's been in the on position literally since I bought the trailer.

We only use the switch on the inside to turn it on/off.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 08:26 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
2018 Georgetown GT5
During my troubleshooting, I realized that I did not turn off the water heaters via the small switch on the water heaters. I assumed that when I had the water heaters off via the control panel that there was no power to the water heaters.

(1) Is it possible that I burned out the heating elements in both water heaters?
1. Yes it is possible

2. It depends on whether you have the Suburban SWDE or SWDEL model.

Both models have an outside switch to the electric heating element, and both models have an inside switch that controls only the propane heating method.

However the SWDEL model DOES have another inside switch to the electric heating element (in addition to the outside switch). Both have to be turned ON for the electric heating element to work. However with the SWDEL model, you can leave the outside switch on and use the inside switch only for the electric heating element to control the ON/OFF function. Just remember that the SWDEL model will have TWO inside switches, that one controls the propane heating method, and the other inside switch controls the electric heating element. The SWDEL model will have in total 3 switches to the water heater (TWO for the electric heating element, and ONE of the propane side)

You will encounter many members on these forums who have either the SWDE (no inside switch to the electric heating element) or possibly the SWDEL model (which does have an inside switch to the electric heating element)...and they do not realize there are two different models that FR uses, and give advice based on their model, not realizing there is another model that could be in use.

Both the SWDE and SWDEL models are explained here:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ore-36197.html

Do you know which model you have?

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 08:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
In my experience, no it doesn't. I leave the small switch on the WH on all the time. It's been in the on position literally since I bought the trailer.

We only use the switch on the inside to turn it on/off.
Funny how different people operate..... I leave the small switch in the WH off all the time. Its been OFF literally since I bought the trailer.

OK... I dont have the second inside switch. My inside switch controls only the Gas. Propane is all I use to heat hot water and I only turn it on when I know I am about to take shower. After finished, I leave it on 10 minutes... turn it off... and it will keep water hot all day for other uses. The gas is much quicker than electric (my understanding) . Also, I am boondocking a lot so require generator ON if I should use elec hot water.

Heard too many stories about burned heater elements due to no water in heater and accidently leaving the switch ON. "Use Gas only for HW" came as a rec from a friend who had years experience. Uses very little gas. Sure I'll use the elec WH some day but for 3 years now... Never been ON.
gbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 03:46 PM   #7
Kanadian Kamper

Once again.....wmtire is 1000% correct and includes great details in his response.

I’ve never met the man, and if I’m lucky, I never will.....

...but damn he knows his stuff....when he’s not out riding his bike.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 03:56 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaldwin View Post
Funny how different people operate..... I leave the small switch in the WH off all the time. Its been OFF literally since I bought the trailer.

OK... I dont have the second inside switch. My inside switch controls only the Gas. Propane is all I use to heat hot water and I only turn it on when I know I am about to take shower. After finished, I leave it on 10 minutes... turn it off... and it will keep water hot all day for other uses. The gas is much quicker than electric (my understanding) . Also, I am boondocking a lot so require generator ON if I should use elec hot water.

Heard too many stories about burned heater elements due to no water in heater and accidently leaving the switch ON. "Use Gas only for HW" came as a rec from a friend who had years experience. Uses very little gas. Sure I'll use the elec WH some day but for 3 years now... Never been ON.
We have the switches for both gas and electric inside. Just makes sense for us to leave the outside switch on.

We turn both on when we want hot water but like you, only turn it on when we know we are going to need it.

There's not much of a chance of having it on with no water since we typically fill it up in April and don't drain it until October. Maybe drain it once or twice throughout the season to check the anode.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 04:12 PM   #9
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
2018 Georgetown GT5

I know this has been asked many times so I apologize for the repeat. When I winterized my camper, I bypassed and drained the two water heaters. When i dewinterized my camper, I returned everything back to normal.

My problem started this weekend. Turned on my water heaters via electric but the water would not get hot. Verified that bypass valves were correct. Ended up using propane for the weekend.

As wmtire mentioned, it depends on your water heater model.

If you have a control panel with the 2nd ELECTRIC control switch for the WH then no, there can not be any 120v getting to the element when that switch is off. The INSIDE switch controls a relay that is first in line to the element. (see attached schematic)

If your control panel only has a switch for the propane side of the water heater then the OUTSIDE switch is the only thing that controls the 120v to the element and shutting off the INSIDE switch for the propane DOES NOT cut off the 120v.

Many folks with only the outside switch use the breaker in the distribution box to control the power.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	suburban_wh_sw6del_schematic.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	205741  

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 05:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaldwin View Post
The gas is much quicker than electric (my understanding) . Also, I am boondocking a lot so require generator ON if I should use elec hot water.
Yes, when using one method or the other alone, gas is quicker to heat a tank of hot water. However when BOTH are used at the same time you have a far quicker recovery time if you have people waiting in line to shower.

If you are boondocking you don't have to run the generator just to have hot water if you've left the heater mounted electric switch on. The gas heater will just carry the load.

Main benefit of the electric heater is conservation of Propane. If electricity is available many use it for heating, cooking, and water heating just so they don't have to worry about filling propane tanks.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 06:50 PM   #11

As part of my winterizing routine, I turn off both outside switch and the breaker inside. I have found it more convenient to turn off the breaker when moving but am rethinking this as I do not want to wear out the breaker.
First Mate = Xiangbing
Crew = Radar, NiuNiu & NaNa
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 08:57 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Yes, when using one method or the other alone, gas is quicker to heat a tank of hot water. However when BOTH are used at the same time you have a far quicker recovery time if you have people waiting in line to shower.

If you are boondocking you don't have to run the generator just to have hot water if you've left the heater mounted electric switch on. The gas heater will just carry the load.

Main benefit of the electric heater is conservation of Propane. If electricity is available many use it for heating, cooking, and water heating just so they don't have to worry about filling propane tanks.
Is this right?
Old 05-29-2019, 09:08 AM   #13

It is right that the propane and 12 volt battery will heat the water. It doesn't matter which position the 120 volt switch is in if there is no 120 volt current present. Is that your question?
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 09:33 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
It is right that the propane and 12 volt battery will heat the water. It doesn't matter which position the 120 volt switch is in if there is no 120 volt current present. Is that your question?
"you don't have to run the generator just to have hot water if you've left the heater mounted electric switch on"

I think I misundurstood this part of previous post. Of course understand that when Bdk'ing can heat water off gas.... but my understanding was that elec Htr would not work w/out sufficient shore power. I thought he was saying switch ON = hot water.

I am straight....
Old 06-10-2019, 11:17 AM   #15
Site Team

Several posts have been moved to their own thread at this link.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...er-186962.html

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, water, water heater