Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2020, 04:58 PM   #1

Water leak from bottom corner of sofa/dinette slide

We have a 2019 GT5 36b5 and are experiencing an annoying water leak. For the second time this season , a rather large puddle has formed right behind the drivers seat from the corner of the slide (while fully out ) after / during a rainstorm.
It weeps from bottom corner of the rubber seal . I have I inspected all the seals on the outside and they were all in place solidly , and not wet at all. Could it be running in on the bottom of the slide ? Nothing vertical appears to be the culprit. Hoping someone else has experienced this particular leak and could shed some light on where to check. I know water can run from many places , even places farther away than you would expect

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CC782AC3-352E-4709-B761-01402C3BAB1C.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	292.5 KB
ID:	235121   Click image for larger version

Name:	74AAA014-B849-494B-BA7C-8B3608446A58.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	471.2 KB
ID:	235122  
EddieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 07:02 PM   #2

Try to observe the area during a rain. If you see the water building up, wipe it dry as best you can and continue to observe. Have a good flashlight ready too.
An umbrella, raincoat and ladder too but please be careful

Could be running down the inside of a wall. I'd look at any screws into the sidewall, where the slide out seals are attached. Its possible it's coming from the roof but as long as you are inspecting it and dont see anything obvious I would look at wall screws, window seams & areas above window seams. Your right, water will find pathways, the problem area could be right there or a few feet away.
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 11:15 PM   #3
FR3 Division

Feel free to reach out to Forest River customer service, parts and warranty at 574-206-7600 and share this with them. Have your VIN# when you call. They will help you look further into this as well....
Michael Hums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 02:56 PM   #4
Triglide

Make sure the outside seals are properly positioned. Where the vertical seal going up the slide out meets the horizontal seal that goes across the top of the slide out. The horizontal seal has to be on top of the vertical seal at the point where they meet. Just a thought
TriGlide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 09:30 AM   #5

Our leak was coming from body trim. Re-caulked with RTV
loyda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 09:37 AM   #6
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by loyda View Post
Our leak was coming from body trim. Re-caulked with RTV
Interesting. From the same area on one of the slides? Do you recall which section of trim?

Please consider clicking on User CP on the light green bar near the top left, scrolling down to Edit Signature, and entering your Georgetown's year and exact model and floorplan, if any. That will save you from the next question in the future:

"What year and model do you have?"

Thanks,

Ray
Old 08-02-2020, 10:34 AM   #7

I 'm sorry it was our cardinal 5th wheel. But it was trim near bottom of bumbout. Water would follow trim inside.
loyda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 11:44 AM   #8

After careful inspection , all seals look good and in the correct orientation. I purchased a inspection camera so next time this happens I can observe from places you can’t easily see. Interesting on the trim caulking.
Old 08-02-2020, 02:06 PM   #9

Anywhere there are screws into the sidewall are suspect.

Everyone is so worried about roofing. It's the sidewalls that are an issue as long as your maintaining the roof. Yes, there are exceptions. Accidents, ac seal, vent seams, front and rear joints. Roof preventative maintenance is easy
Old 08-03-2020, 10:19 AM   #10

My GT3 had a leak similar to yours. It turned out to be that the roof caulk line, along the entire Drivers side, separated (lifted up) from the roof, just a hair, and that allowed rain to seep into the side wall, and come out at the top of the large slide-out. I re-caulked the entire drivers-side roof line, and all seems to be OK.

BTW, the reason for the slight separation was because the roof awning over the slide-out, had been caught by the wind while driving, and billowed out like a huge parachute. That action yanked on the top of the drivers' side wall, and caused the tiny split. I'm not sure why the GT3 units were sold without an anti-billow stop. That seems to be a serious oversight. It was easy to add on.
Joy_road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 11:14 AM   #11
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy_road View Post
BTW, the reason for the slight separation was because the roof awning over the slide-out, had been caught by the wind while driving, and billowed out like a huge parachute. That action yanked on the top of the drivers' side wall, and caused the tiny split. I'm not sure why the GT3 units were sold without an anti-billow stop. That seems to be a serious oversight. It was easy to add on.
Ugh. Was it the awning or the slide topper? I'm guessing the topper? The GT5 awning is screwed to the roof above the gutter (don't get me started on that wonderful piece of engineering that keeps water pooled on the roof instead of draining into the gutter) but the topper is fastened to the side wall.

Is this what you installed for all of $8? I think the GT5 already has those. https://store.lci1.com/anti-billowin...w-awnings.html

Still, it's interesting to know how that water traveled for you. I'll have to pay closer attention to that area now.

EddieJ did not note it, but the first time it happened he could run that slide in slightly and the leak stopped. So it's possible that extending the slide fully put some outward stress on that caulking that was relieved when the slide was run in. (I'm sure he'll correct me if I got that wrong.)

His slide is on the driver's side and has a topper but no actual awning.

My big one is on the passenger side and has both a topper and an awning. It also collects a lot of water, which could be stressing that caulking as well. That is the only topper that holds water.

Thanks!

Ray
Old 08-03-2020, 11:27 AM   #12

Hi NXR,
>>>>>>>
Is this what you installed for all of $8? I think the GT5 already has those. https://store.lci1.com/anti-billowin...w-awnings.html
>>>>>>>
Yes. It was a Lippert one like the one in your link. All Amazon was sold out of these earlier this year, so it was tough to find one. The GT3 should have had one on the Drivers side Topper, but it didn't.
Joy_road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 11:36 AM   #13

Anti billow arms are notorious for breaking and falling off.

Not saying yours got missed in the manufacturing process.

Owners with anti billow arms should inspect them when the toppers are cleaned and when doing roof inspections

Chris
Old 08-03-2020, 11:59 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy_road View Post
My GT3 had a leak similar to yours. It turned out to be that the roof caulk line, along the entire Drivers side, separated (lifted up) from the roof, just a hair, and that allowed rain to seep into the side wall, and come out at the top of the large slide-out. I re-caulked the entire drivers-side roof line, and all seems to be OK.

Thanks!! That makes sense as a place to check. And NXR is right, the first time this was happening I brought the slide in a little bit and it appeared to stop. So that would make allot of sense. I will check that out when I make it to the storage garage.
2019 Georgetown GT5 36B5 towing a 2019 Equinox 4 down
"Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start."

Tags
leak, slide, water, water leak