Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2014, 10:42 PM   #1

Water line to toilet leaking

2014 328TS here. About 1 year now using this rig. On a 4 day trip here and bathroom flooded from water leaking from toilet line. The water line running to the toilet is jammed up under the wood paneling and basically the pressure from that has worn through the water line and it's leaking enough to cause water to pool and flood. Anyone else encountered this problem? Not entirely prepared for this. Rig will be going in to get this repaired once we get home. Right now I have water completely turned off and relying mostly on water in fresh tanks unless showering or needing more water at a single time. Major annoyance as we are running out of towels.
Lvnlife1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 11:11 PM   #2
Plain Old Member

Got a picture of the line / paneling? Trying to picture it. Is it the pex line itself leaking? I cut our toilet lines just after they come through the floor. Installed nice stop (shut off) valves and stainless braided lines from valve to toilet. Makes it a lot easier to work on if need be.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 08:07 AM   #3

Here is the picture. Is this a normal installation?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1409490448242.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	61837  
Old 08-31-2014, 08:28 AM   #4

The items used are probably standard for your unit. However; with such tight tollerances I think there should have been enough tubing to allow a loop so the toilet connection could be straight on. You could cut and splice in some tubing to make that loop with a new connector added. Just one way to do it and parts are readily available, at least they are in my area. You'll figure it out.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 08:34 AM   #5
WFD

For one...that braided hose they use is junk...replace it with pex piping...much more durable outside jacket. With that braided tubing, the outside and inside jackets seperate and then you get leaks, some have had that inside jacket collapse on them after having it stored for the winter in the cold weather.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:44 AM   #6

If that is a Factory install it is the Poorest I have ever seen! The square cut hole with No Grommet is the first clue of NO workmanship! Was this unit purchased New? Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 08:59 AM   #7

Your local plumbing supply store will be your best friend for a while. With simple hand tools you could cut that section of line out, use Pex as suggested and two 90 deg fittings. A little imagination will go a long way. Good luck.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:21 AM   #8

Yup, this was a factory install. Bought this rig brand new last August. First time this has happened. I'm thinking that this should be covered under warranty, right?
Old 08-31-2014, 11:24 AM   #9

This is a 2014 328TS, brand new from the dealer. It has been fine with a few minor items not working but this is the biggest major inconvenience. Cut our trip short because of water leakage.
Old 08-31-2014, 12:00 PM   #10
Explorer

That cut in the wood looks just like mine only they used the better Pex line marital so I think Im safe.
From the picture and knowing mine, it doesn't look like you have very good access. If you can get the wood panel off(the warranty shop will do this eventually) you could try Hurricane Tape. Most hardware stores sell this stuff for emergency repairs, they sell it in several strengths by the poundage. I always carry a roll for just an issue like yours.
I would pull the panel, disconnect the line from the potty, clean and dry very well and then straighten and wrap the Hurricane tape as tight as I could over lapping 2inches on either side, reconnect, leave the panel off and say a prayer. As I remember Hurricane tape isn't very sticky it bonds to itself with pressure so you have to pull it tight.
I probably would not leave pressure in the line. Use water when you need it and then unpressurize the line by opening a faucet.

Camping is fun
John
43yrs of camping; one lucky guy
YoungKopernik is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, water