Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2015, 02:23 PM   #1

Water problems

I am getting hard white residue in my toilet and faucets. I have flushed the water heater and fresh water tank. I'm going to flush all the lines this weekend. Does anyone have other ideas of what to do?

Thanks

2010 Georgetown 337 DS

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
MarkAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 02:50 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkAnne View Post
I am getting hard white residue in my toilet and faucets. I have flushed the water heater and fresh water tank. I'm going to flush all the lines this weekend. Does anyone have other ideas of what to do?

Thanks

2010 Georgetown 337 DS

I see you have a 2010, I'd say construction debris should already be cleaned out.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "24 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 03:45 PM   #3
Retired US Army CW4

[QUOTE=MarkAnne;965568]I am getting hard white residue in my toilet and faucets. I have flushed the water heater and fresh water tank. I'm going to flush all the lines this weekend. Does anyone have other ideas of what to do?

Thanks

2010 Georgetown 337 DS

Had the same problem. Pull the anode rod out of your water heater. You'll most likely find that it has completely worn out and the bottom of your water heater tank is coated with the same white residue that is clogging up your toilet line and faucets. I was pulling the connector off the back of my toilet and the screens out of the faucets every time we went out to clean them out. After flushing the tank out and replacing the anode rod it has been trouble free ever since.
Tom and Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 03:55 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

[QUOTE=Tom and Kat;965654]
Quote:

Thanks

2010 Georgetown 337 DS

Had the same problem. Pull the anode rod out of your water heater. You'll most likely find that it has completely worn out and the bottom of your water heater tank is coated with the same white residue that is clogging up your toilet line and faucets. I was pulling the connector off the back of my toilet and the screens out of the faucets every time we went out to clean them out. After flushing the tank out and replacing the anode rod it has been trouble free ever since.
Didn't know hot water was supplied to the toilet?

TURBS
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "24 nights"
Old 08-26-2015, 07:38 PM   #5

[QUOTE=TURBS;965664]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom and Kat View Post
Didn't know hot water was supplied to the toilet?

TURBS
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "24 nights"
Of course it isn't but somehow that residue from the water heater tank that gets into the faucets and clogs the aerators also gets to the toilet and clogs it up at the input internal screen (310 toilet). Happened again to me on my last trip. When disconnecting toilet it back flushes most of the residue and I use a toothpick to finish cleaning out.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:13 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

[QUOTE=bubbles;965900]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
Of course it isn't but somehow that residue from the water heater tank that gets into the faucets and clogs the aerators also gets to the toilet and clogs it up at the input internal screen (310 toilet). Happened again to me on my last trip. When disconnecting toilet it back flushes most of the residue and I use a toothpick to finish cleaning out.
No possible way for debris in the wh to get to the toilet.

TURBS
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "24 nights"
Old 08-26-2015, 08:24 PM   #7

Quote:

Thanks

2010 Georgetown 337 DS

I would think is just may be bad water where ever you are hooked up at.
Have you checked what the water looks like coming from the campground spigot?
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:27 PM   #8

Do you use a water softener? It could be lime scale from hard water. I use one because a lot of the parks have very hard water.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 10:46 PM   #9

Run vinegar through lines. It brakes up calcium deposits in the lines.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
msm1827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 05:01 AM   #10

Check the Water Filter. Maybe its time for a new one if it hasn't been replaced recently. Wouldn't hurt to check the anode rod in hot water tank while checking the Water Filter. I change out the anode rod and water filter at the beginning of camping season as its cheap insurance against a rotted out hot water tank and debris going thru system.

Never had to run vinegar thru the lines but something you can try as well.
Eastlake, OH
EastlakeRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 06:24 AM   #11

[QUOTE=TURBS;965943]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
No possible way for debris in the wh to get to the toilet.

TURBS
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "24 nights"
Haha, doesn't seem logical but it does happen. The cold water supply line has a check valve to prevent hot water from flowing back into the cold water lines. But when there is a large buildup of particles from the anode rod swirling around, one or more can lodge in the check valve and block it open. The particles can then escape and travel through the system. My anode rod was completely gone and the bottom of the water heater was full of particles. They had also traveled to and blocked screens on the toilets (2) and all of the sink faucet diffuser screens. Flushed the system and installed new rod and problem solved. I now replace the anode every season. You can also prevent or slow the problem if you drain the water heater when coach is being stored.

(2
BillMFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 10:03 AM   #12

Thanks everyone. Some very good info here. I'll be working on the issue this weekend.

2010 Georgetown 337 DS

MarkAnne is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water