Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2009, 03:22 PM   #1

Weather Pro

Hey everyone....I'm new to the forum so you'll be hearing from me now too. Nice to "meet" you. I've had my G'Town for about a year. I use the remote most of the time to extend and retract the awning. The switch going up the steps into the coach has not worked in a good while. Also, the swith at the awning motor works when it wants to. Anyway, lately when I've used the remote the awning grunts and jerks as it extends. I thought the remote battery might need replacing, so I did that. That didn't fix the problem. And when I extended it the other day, the awning stuck and would not retract. A few hours later I tried the remote and the awning went in. The RV stays plugged up to power. So...does this sound like a battery issue to you guys instead of an awning issue? Also, is the awning supposed to extend and retract smoothly or does yours jerk and grunt like mine? Please respond.
2007 Georgetown 315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 06:46 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007 Georgetown 315 View Post
Hey everyone....I'm new to the forum so you'll be hearing from me now too. Nice to "meet" you. I've had my G'Town for about a year. I use the remote most of the time to extend and retract the awning. The switch going up the steps into the coach has not worked in a good while. Also, the swith at the awning motor works when it wants to. Anyway, lately when I've used the remote the awning grunts and jerks as it extends. I thought the remote battery might need replacing, so I did that. That didn't fix the problem. And when I extended it the other day, the awning stuck and would not retract. A few hours later I tried the remote and the awning went in. The RV stays plugged up to power. So...does this sound like a battery issue to you guys instead of an awning issue? Also, is the awning supposed to extend and retract smoothly or does yours jerk and grunt like mine? Please respond.
First off to FRF. I am sorry I do not have a Georgtown, and it's sad to hear that you have issues but hang in there many fantastic members here that can help. Good Luck.....
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 12:03 AM   #3

Haven't yet had that problem with our awning and our rig is now a year old. Check the warranty on the awning. Even though the coach only has a 1 year warranty from FR some of the components may have longer waranties from their manufacturers. Sounds like the motor on the awning isn't getting enough voltage to me but just a theory. Batteries in the remote would have nothing to do with what you describe.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 06:32 AM   #4

Sounds like the moving parts need lubrication, to me, or possibly the motor is dragging. I also do not believe it is a battery related problem. It should be an A&E/Dometic awning, the same as most of us with power awnings have, and like NWJeeper says, you may still be in warranty. Good Luck! Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 08:08 AM   #5
CLASS "A" Senior Member

We haven't had any problems with the awning, ours runs in and out smoothly. We've had our GT since November of 2006. If the awning switch doesn't operate the awning I'd remove it from the wall and see if something is disconnected. Also there is the power box in the compartment next to the door. Open that up and check it for anything that may not connected or loose. If everything looks ok then I'd check with Dometic about the warranty.Here's a link for the owners manual. Maybe there's something there to try and reset the awning power. Good luck, let us know what you find.

http://www.dometic.com/39ddef5d-f22c...b38c2008.fodoc

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote