Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2012, 07:25 PM   #1

Weird thing to happen

1st big trip in M/H all went go to Florida from Kentucky but on the back a diff. story. In upper Georgia hit a large bump the speed "O" quit working and the cruise some time later it all started to work again. About 100 miles later hit another large bump this time the speed "O" and cruise stop working and the check engine light came on. Then all started working again but the service engine light stayed on and won't go off. Just had the engine service before left. What do I need to do ?
PS We had a great time but 14days is not enough.
2001 325s v10 f53 33.6' Georgetown
trell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:27 PM   #2

Have no idea how they all relate but can suggest quit hitting those bumps until someone can fix it.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:40 PM   #3

I'm no mechanic, but these things have happened to me in the past that caused the SERVICE ENGINE light to come on: speedometer cable bracket that comes out of the transmission was not connected properly, and a throttle positionining senser. Both would show that the speed was dropping/rising causing the engine to very intermitently speed up/slow down which in turn caused the light to come on. This is probably not your problem but may be.
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Have no idea how they all relate but can suggest quit hitting those bumps until someone can fix it.
I do know what you mean but those thing (bump,pothole,ditches,)kinda sneek up on ya.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by trell View Post
1st big trip in M/H all went go to Florida from Kentucky but on the back a diff. story. In upper Georgia hit a large bump the speed "O" quit working and the cruise some time later it all started to work again. About 100 miles later hit another large bump this time the speed "O" and cruise stop working and the check engine light came on. Then all started working again but the service engine light stayed on and won't go off. Just had the engine service before left. What do I need to do ?
PS We had a great time but 14days is not enough.
2001 325s v10 f53 33.6' Georgetown
Any auto repair or Pep Boys type store can read your engine computer (port) and recover what caused the check engine light to come on. It may be nothing, it could be fuel pump low pressure at the moment, whatever. Its recorded until retreived by a OBDII meter.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:58 PM   #6

not sure if this helps but I had a 2000 Dodge (far cry from a MH) that had a sensor on the top of the rear differential. If I loaded it with anything heavy enough the springs would compress far enough that the sensor would get pinched between the Differential and the exhaust pipe. This would cause my speedo and cruise control to quit until I took the weight off. It would also cause the check engine light to come on. I rerouted the wiring and replaced the sensor and never happened again.
jtrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:26 AM   #7
Too old to be too smart

It sounds to me as if the speed sensor in the rear differential is intermittent. It is the typical Hall-effect device, and if it is not sending pulses to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) you will have no speedometer, not cruise control, no ABS, and likely have erratic shifting points.

If that's the case, check that wiring to that sensor. It's located somewhere in the upper half of the differential housing.

If you wish to remove it, there's one bolt that holds it in place, and if you remove it, no oil will escape. Just be careful to clean around it first so dirt doesn't drop in the hole when you remove the sensor. You may find a bit of black, fuzzy, sooty material that has collected on it (it's magnetic), and sometimes just cleaning it is enough to restore operation. It's sealed with an O-ring, so be careful not to damage that when re-installing the sensor.

If you actually need a new one, they're relatively cheap at around $25 or so, but you may find a broken wire, too, and that may fix the whole thing.

Good luck!

Pop

2000 F-350 7.3L CC/LB 4WD Lariat 3.73's
SpringerPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:28 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrader View Post
not sure if this helps but I had a 2000 Dodge (far cry from a MH) that had a sensor on the top of the rear differential. If I loaded it with anything heavy enough the springs would compress far enough that the sensor would get pinched between the Differential and the exhaust pipe. This would cause my speedo and cruise control to quit until I took the weight off. It would also cause the check engine light to come on. I rerouted the wiring and replaced the sensor and never happened again.

Couldn't resist!

I won't be able to take a cruise in my speedo until I take the weight off!
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timex View Post
Couldn't resist!

I won't be able to take a cruise in my speedo until I take the weight off!
You have a strange mind my friend...that image will stay with me a long time,,,,whoa
Old 10-28-2012, 09:57 AM   #10

Trell

I would run that thing over to your mechanic and have him take a look at it. There is something wrong.

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerPop View Post
It sounds to me as if the speed sensor in the rear differential is intermittent. It is the typical Hall-effect device, and if it is not sending pulses to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) you will have no speedometer, not cruise control, no ABS, and likely have erratic shifting points.

If that's the case, check that wiring to that sensor. It's located somewhere in the upper half of the differential housing.

If you wish to remove it, there's one bolt that holds it in place, and if you remove it, no oil will escape. Just be careful to clean around it first so dirt doesn't drop in the hole when you remove the sensor. You may find a bit of black, fuzzy, sooty material that has collected on it (it's magnetic), and sometimes just cleaning it is enough to restore operation. It's sealed with an O-ring, so be careful not to damage that when re-installing the sensor.

If you actually need a new one, they're relatively cheap at around $25 or so, but you may find a broken wire, too, and that may fix the whole thing.

Good luck!

Pop
X2; common Ford Problem.
1984 19.5' Beachcraft i/o 5.o liter, 4-bbl (and you thought your Moho sucked gas!)
D/W Carole and Maggie the Teacup Lab (Black Chihuahua)
Freds342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:16 AM   #12

OK took the sensor out clean it put back in(man it was dirty). Couldn't find the plug to read code that was on service engine soon so removed battery cables light went out.
Where is that plug located on the m/h to plug reader in?
Old 11-01-2012, 09:23 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by trell
OK took the sensor out clean it put back in(man it was dirty). Couldn't find the plug to read code that was on service engine soon so removed battery cables light went out.
Where is that plug located on the m/h to plug reader in?
Under dash at knee level with attached cap. Size 3/4" height x 1.5" width ( approx )
Old 11-01-2012, 04:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU

Under dash at knee level with attached cap. Size 3/4" height x 1.5" width ( approx )

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4143368425.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	21268

Heres a pic of it at center console 12" above floor.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:43 PM   #15
Another rat in the race

If it comes back check the ECM connectors, the CC module, and the cluster connector one of them could have been knocked loose. Depending on your service they might have plugged directly into your harness at the ECM to check wiring and the ECM.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:07 PM   #16

Advanced Auto & Autozone will both read the codes for you; go there before you ever go to the dealer or anyone..... knowing these codes will help you be a smarter consumer.....
dfskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:21 PM   #17

Would that plug have a cap on it that says "Data link connector''?
Old 11-01-2012, 06:19 PM   #18
Too old to be too smart

Yup, although some have blank caps, some have no caps at all.

Pop

2000 F-350 7.3L CC/LB 4WD Lariat 3.73's
SpringerPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:09 AM   #19

A big Thank You to all of you. I sure do like this forum.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:55 PM   #20

did you get it fixed?
genesimmons is offline   Reply With Quote