Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2022, 11:38 AM   #1

What are the best leveling jack blocks?

Hi All!

I'm looking to purchase some jack blocks to go underneath my 4 Lippert leveling jacks. I've read good reviews for "Utility Blocks", but I'm only able to find them being sold on Amazon in packs of 1 (I would need around 8).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PX1KLKK...1zcF9kZXRhaWwy

Are there any other good, quality jack blocks out there? I am not a fan of the plastic ones given I have a Class A RV that weighs about 25,000lbs and I've heard that the plastic ones crack easily and are not durable. I have a few jack pads made from this same plastic and I agree, not very durable at all.

Any recommendations are much appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2022-11-23 09_36_23-The Best RV Leveling Blocks (Jack Pads_Stackers_Stabilizers).png
Views:	154
Size:	746.2 KB
ID:	281792  
FR Steve L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 02:11 PM   #2

Seems like you have already made up your mind and limited your choices but I understand your thinking.
I have three sets of the orange Lynx Levelers and some of them are 15 years old. True, my fifth wheel weighs half of what your RV does, but I have seen them used many times on Class A or other motor homes.
I have had one crack on the outside edge after I placed it in an uneven rocky spot (my fault). Other than that, they seem as durable as advertised. They do fade in the sun though
https://trilynx.com/products/lynx-leveler-10-pack
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 04:18 PM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Here's a set of 4 on Amazon for $89.99.
Quality Plastics Utility Block - Four Pack https://a.co/d/1dmlq6M

Also on eBay...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/28368719318...mis&media=COPY

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 04:50 PM   #4

That was just my opinion, but was willing to hear anyone out who has had a different experience with the plastic ones, like yourself. Thank you for your reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Seems like you have already made up your mind and limited your choices but I understand your thinking.
I have three sets of the orange Lynx Levelers and some of them are 15 years old. True, my fifth wheel weighs half of what your RV does, but I have seen them used many times on Class A or other motor homes.
I have had one crack on the outside edge after I placed it in an uneven rocky spot (my fault). Other than that, they seem as durable as advertised. They do fade in the sun though
Old 11-23-2022, 04:51 PM   #5

Ah shoot! I saw these earlier but thought it was only a pack of 2 and thought the price was quite high accordingly. Thanks for providing the link!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Here's a set of 4 on Amazon for $89.99.
Quality Plastics Utility Block - Four Pack https://a.co/d/1dmlq6M

Also on eBay...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/28368719318...mis&media=COPY
Old 11-23-2022, 05:01 PM   #6

Buy an 8 ft long piece of 2" x 12" pressure-treated material from the local lumber or big box store. Use your skill saw to cut it into square pieces. No worry about crushing them. Cheap too at $17.98 at LOWE'S.

If you wish to use them under the tires, then set your skill saw to cut a 45-degree angle.

Bob
Bob K4TAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 05:20 PM   #7

made a set of jack pads once
----------------------------------------------------
sandwich of two 1/2 steel plates @ 8 foot square
middle section was 4 inch hardwood glulam

plates were attached via thousands of nail holes drilled though the steel plates

each nail had to be hand driven because we had trouble lining up a mail gun with any of the holes

the 4 jack stands had to be transported on their own crane truck.

ohhh stands were for supporting 400 tonne crane.
Old 11-23-2022, 06:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I have these or anther vesion, but they have had some rough useat times and are still in good shape. I use them to pre-level my 32 foot Class C.
Sunseeker16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 09:21 PM   #9
NXR

The Quality Plastics ones work but they are expensive and I know because I bought 12 of them but all they do now is line the bottom of the basement compartments to help spread the weight out.

I put RV SnapPads on the jack feet three years ago, which is like having a 1" thick rubber block under the jacks 100% of the time with zero effort. The SnapPads also help keep the flimsy Lippert jack feet from bending. I had three bent ones from new.

https://rvsnappad.com/products/xtra-4-pack

I use 2x12's cut into 18" pieces for the very few times I need blocks to level now. Using the LevelMatePRO means we can find the most level spot first and then fine tune with the jacks or blocks if needed. We only need blocks a few stays a year now.

Ray
Old 11-24-2022, 01:09 PM   #10

FREE ONES!

I go to construction sites and ask the foreman if it's alright to get trash wood from the trash piles. They almost always say if its been cut or has nails in it you can have it.

My popular sizes are 1"x6" - 2' x 4" - 2" x 6" - 2" x 8" - 4" x 4" and 1" x 4" to build pads. If I'm building them for use with tires, I cut them with a 45-degree bevel. Handles are handy if being used under landing gear pads/leveling pads.

Here's an example.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Leveling Blocks - 2009.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	329.4 KB
ID:	281808
Old 11-24-2022, 03:00 PM   #11
Flyboy1950

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
The Quality Plastics ones work but they are expensive and I know because I bought 12 of them but all they do now is line the bottom of the basement compartments to help spread the weight out.

I put RV SnapPads on the jack feet three years ago, which is like having a 1" thick rubber block under the jacks 100% of the time with zero effort. The SnapPads also help keep the flimsy Lippert jack feet from bending. I had three bent ones from new.

I use 2x12's cut into 18" pieces for the very few times I need blocks to level now. Using the LevelMatePRO means we can find the most level spot first and then fine tune with the jacks or blocks if needed. We only need blocks a few stays a year now.

Ray
Holy crap! Those 4 SnapPads are $110! That’s ridiculous!
Sbosserman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 10:15 PM   #12
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbosserman
Holy crap! Those 4 SnapPads are $110! That’s ridiculous!
I agree. They were like $149 just a few months ago so that's a ridiculous price drop. The current price is just a bit above what I paid for ours three and a half years ago, inflation notwithstanding.

Compared to $90 for four plastic Quality Plastics blocks that you would have to place and remove every time you park, and also wash the dirt and mud off of, SnapPads are quite the bargain at that price.

Ray
Old 11-24-2022, 10:30 PM   #13
Happy Camper

Totally agree with NXR 100% that Snap Pads are the way to go! We first purchased them for our 2011 Georgetown and liked them so well we now have them on our 2020 Sunseeker. You put them on and you're done. Made of quality rubber and also come with a 2 year warranty (their customer service is excellent too). They are a great investment for any motorhome and more cost effective than $90 for a set of four plastic ones you have to place and remove every trip (if need be). We also have a 10 pk. of Camco leveling blocks we take along in case we ever need extra lift - they have worked fine on both our Class A and Class C leveler pads and have never cracked from the weight of either motorhome. (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Camco-Le...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 11-26-2022, 03:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR Steve L View Post
Any recommendations are much appreciated!
We have used the Camco levelling blocks with no issue on a FR3 34DS and before that on a diesel pusher. They still work fine after four years.
2011 Honda CRV toad
RVwino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 08:25 PM   #15

Lumber yard gave me all the scrap 4x4 and 6x6 pieces I could carry. I guess I could paint them in designer colors...

-- Chuck
Old 11-28-2022, 08:54 PM   #16

I dumpster dive for 2x12 cutoffs and cut them like this. If they split, they become kindling wood. They stack up neatly in a compartment. I can't seem to get the picture to upload, but it is in my profile .....

Zeke (the Partipoodle) 8 yrs, Ginger (standard poodle) 7 mos - both rescues
Cathcartww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 08:55 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
I guess I could paint them in designer colors...

Several years back, I went to buy a pressure-treated 6x6 to cut down into 12" lengths so that I could make a cribwork as needed. But the cost was over a hundred bucks at the time. Hence, the Camco solution. I wish I had thought of the idea of just asking for scrap!
2011 Honda CRV toad
RVwino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 10:39 AM   #18

Rubber Pavers

I use rubber pavers for leveling blocks. They usually come 16" x 16" x ¾". Using a utility knife, I score them and break them in half. Because the surface is somewhat gritty, it's easy to stack them up to get the needed height.

After leveling, if you have enough left-overs, you can line them up under your steps as a doormat.

You can get them at Menards or Lowes. They last forever and won't crack, peel or chip. . . . . .

LarryB

Send an email or Send a Private Message

LarryB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 06:01 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post

Ray
X2 on the SnapPads and the LevelMatePro products. When the Lippert jacks are down, my unit is more stable, jacks don't sink into hot asphalt pad in the summer, and just generally provide considerably more contact to the ground than the metal jacks alone.

Haven't perfected my use of the LevelMatePro data yet. It may tell you you're 6" high on one corner/tire but that doesn't necessarily equate to needing to use jacks of the same height to get level.

Leveling on an uneven site is still the DW's and my biggest hassle and pain after part-time RV'ing for 5 years now in our Class C.

OTR 2024-22 / 2023-29 / 2022-52
2021-51 / 2020-29 / 2019-71 / 2018-49
ArkRVHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 06:52 PM   #20

Scrap lumber

Several pieces of scrap 2x8 and 1/2" or larger plywood screwed to the 2x8. The plywood holds the 2x8 together if it cracks. Does not even need to be pressure treated since they are not used often or in contact with the ground for prolonged time (weeks). Mine have been used for 15 years on a class A.
Hoverdave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling, leveling jack, lock