Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2012, 02:41 PM   #1
Kanadian Kamper

What make/model of house batteries?

Just in case there's a difference between different Georgetown motorhomes.......

Can anyone tell me the make and model of the "house batteries" underneath the entrance steps of a 2010 330TS? My unit is at the dealer's right now, so I can't check, but the dealer says they need to be replaced (manufactured June 2008).

Original equipment was two 12 volt batteries, although I know some members have switched over to 6 volt for various reasons.

I'd just like to know a price comparison, and if possible, does anyone know the price here in Canada, specifically Ontario.

Thanks

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:01 AM   #2

We just replaced ours at walmart with their deep cycle battery. You might want to call them for a price comparison. Our batteries weren't lasting the night to run the furnace - and at minus 10-20 we needed heat. New batteries not only lasted the night, but several nights.
days camped in 2011: 37 (up to Aug 1st)
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:32 PM   #3
Anacortesians

I would expect a new 2012 rig to have batteries no older than 2011. I think you're getting your clock cleaned!

When we got our '02 in '09, the house battery was shot, but I expected that. Even though the battery box was big enough for two batteries, it only had one installed. I biought two new deep-cycle RV/Marine batteries from Costco, along with the necessary battery cables to hook them in parallel. I think they were about $70 apiece.

They're still working fine.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:32 PM   #4

I would take the unit to a place that has a load tester and have the batteries checked before replacing them.
Like Frank said "I think your getting your clock cleaned."
Old 05-23-2012, 04:14 PM   #5

I have the exact same year and model as you (2010 330TS) and have had no problems so far with the batteries. Curious, were you having it serviced because of battery issues? If not, did you notice anything wrong with the batteries?
lochsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:53 PM   #6

We use the Group 27 Marine deep cycle from Walmart. Johnson Controls manufactures this battery and has very good ratings.
I have 5 of these on our boat.

120Ah for a 12V

Replacing a battery after 4 years is expected. You can get them to last 6 years, but that's with proper charging and never letting them drop below 50% charge, usually 12.2V when testing without load.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:56 PM   #7

Ken, Walmart had a sale on recently for that battery for $87 It was the DC 850N
Old 05-24-2012, 05:00 PM   #8

These are the batteries that mine had in it when I bought it.

NAPA 8270
- Reserve 180
- 54lbs
- L 12 1/16 x W 6 13/16 x H 8 ⅞
- http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Result.aspx?Ntt=8270&Ntk=Keyword&Nty=1&Dn=0&D=8270 &Dk=1&Dp=3&N=0

Old 05-24-2012, 05:29 PM   #9

Mine are Exide's.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:54 PM   #10

My 2011 327DS came with two batteries with no readily visible manufacturer markings on them. From their size, I expect that they're around 110AH batteries. I've been having problems with an overnight dry camp with the furnace running and had a long talk with the dealer about the problem.

It turns out that the dealer has no way to load test the batteries. They have a tester for the chassis battery but not the house battery! I built my own tester and discovered that the battery has less than a 50AH capacity, I just picked up a hydrometer which shows that the cells are "fully charged" after recharging the battery with my "smart" battery charger. This agrees with what the dealer found when they checked them.

Tomorrow is another load test for the batteries. This time, I'll get individual cell specific gravity measurements in addition to the voltage values taken as the battery discharges. I've already notified the dealer about the problem and his response was that the second battery is probably just as bad and that they'll have to replace them before the factory warranty expires. I'm planning on donating the finished tester to the dealer so they can test batteries for other owners.

In some respects, I'm not surprised about the batteries. When we first looked at the motor home, the sales rep tried to start the generator using the house batteries and couldn't. This means that they had been discharged for an unknown period of time and probably suffered from sulfation. When I had a wiring short in the jack system, it also discharged the batteries and they were left in that state for another couple of weeks until the short was discovered. I suspect that the two full discharges with extended periods discharged have a lot to do with the battery's current capacity.

My next question is about the converter that comes with the motor home. This is the primary mechanism for recharging the batteries and I don't recall if it's really designed to charge the batteries or provide power to run all of the DC stuff. Next time I'm at the motor home I'll have to pull out the documentation for it and see what it says.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:11 PM   #11

Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon35
Ours had a no name brand of batteries. When one of them blow up. John Armstrong had Ron Hoover RV put in a new set and these are brand name. The coach is in storage so I can't tell you the name. But do seem to hold a charge much better.
Protect-A-Tow
Falcon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmsherman View Post
My 2011 327DS came with two batteries with no readily visible manufacturer markings on them. From their size, I expect that they're around 110AH batteries. I've been having problems with an overnight dry camp with the furnace running and had a long talk with the dealer about the problem.

It turns out that the dealer has no way to load test the batteries. They have a tester for the chassis battery but not the house battery! I built my own tester and discovered that the battery has less than a 50AH capacity, I just picked up a hydrometer which shows that the cells are "fully charged" after recharging the battery with my "smart" battery charger. This agrees with what the dealer found when they checked them.

Tomorrow is another load test for the batteries. This time, I'll get individual cell specific gravity measurements in addition to the voltage values taken as the battery discharges. I've already notified the dealer about the problem and his response was that the second battery is probably just as bad and that they'll have to replace them before the factory warranty expires. I'm planning on donating the finished tester to the dealer so they can test batteries for other owners.

In some respects, I'm not surprised about the batteries. When we first looked at the motor home, the sales rep tried to start the generator using the house batteries and couldn't. This means that they had been discharged for an unknown period of time and probably suffered from sulfation. When I had a wiring short in the jack system, it also discharged the batteries and they were left in that state for another couple of weeks until the short was discovered. I suspect that the two full discharges with extended periods discharged have a lot to do with the battery's current capacity.

My next question is about the converter that comes with the motor home. This is the primary mechanism for recharging the batteries and I don't recall if it's really designed to charge the batteries or provide power to run all of the DC stuff. Next time I'm at the motor home I'll have to pull out the documentation for it and see what it says.

Phil
That's true,
Once a battery has been allowed to go dead (wet cell) it's live and capacity drops considerably. 2 more times and its toast.

When replacing batteries in a bank, it's best to replace them all with the same size and brand and manufacture date.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:47 PM   #13
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsutherl View Post
These are the batteries that mine had in it when I bought it.

NAPA 8270
- Reserve 180
- 54lbs
- L 12 1/16 x W 6 13/16 x H 8 ⅞
- http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Result.aspx?Ntt=8270&Ntk=Keyword&Nty=1&Dn=0&D=8270 &Dk=1&Dp=3&N=0
To convert Reserve capacity to Amp Hours multiply the RC in minutes by 0.4167. So this battery is 180 times 0.4167 = 75 AH

Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:46 PM   #14

Here's my earlier post with the new battery setup I put under the step on my Georgetown. Some good information from Lou in this thread too about his setup in his 5th wheel.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ries-9866.html
Old 05-31-2012, 06:45 AM   #15

Here is the decal on one of my original house batteries on my 330ts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-349333036.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	14658  
lochsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:43 PM   #16

Interstate Battery comes in most GT's ,4 6volt cost more but last longer life and give longer amp.hours
louis cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:15 PM   #17

Iochsa's photo looks like the one on my batteries. The one I had out has been returned and the dealer is planning on replacing both of them under warranty. I'd like to use 4x6v but FR didn't see fit to make a battery box that filled the compartment and would have provided space for the second set of batteries. Even if the box was big enough; the supplied + power cable wouldn't reach to the other set of battery's positive terminal.

I stopped at a local Crown battery dealer and they checked the battery and said that there were a couple of cells with sulfation damage; what I expected from the known usage of the battery. They also showed me their battery that's the same physical size - It weighs 10-20 lbs more than the OE battery. You can draw your own conclusions from that. It costs more than double what's available from other local stores but, using best guess estimates based on "reserve minutes", has 30% more capacity than others. It seems like many other things, you get what you pay for.

I found the definition for calculating "reserve minutes" for a battery. It's the number of minutes that the battery will supply 25A starting at full charge and ending when the battery voltage drops to 10.5V.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:50 PM   #18

pmsherman - Phil

In my 2012 Georgetown GT 378TS has this. Not sure if this is anoption or just started in 2012? As it says it does a lot more other than charge the batteries. Who else has this?

Intelli-Power 9200 Series 70 Amp Converter/ Charger
The PD970C 70 amp power converter is designed to provide reliable filtered DC power to all recreational vehicle 12-volt lighting and appliance circuits. The PD9270 converter also provides safe and rapid recharging of RV batteries. Built-in features such as electronic current limiting, reverse battery protection, high voltage protection, low voltage operation, and over temperature shut down ensure long term reliability. The built-in Charge Wizard is a microprocessor-controlled system that constantly monitors the battery voltage and ensures a rapid; yet, safe, recharge. The Charge Wizard can select one of three charging voltages and one of four operating modes depending on the condition and use of the battery. The built-in Accessory Port makes it easy to add the Converter Status Remote Pendant that shows the charger/converter status.
Specifications:
Input: 105-130 VAC, 1250 Watts
Output: 13.6 VDC, 70 Amps
Dimensions: 3.6x 8" x 9"

Weight: 5.8lbs.
  • Built-in Charge Wizard.
  • Reverse Battery Protection.
  • Delivers filtered DC power to all 12 Volt lighting and appliance circuits, providing safe and reliable service.
  • Electronic Current Limiting.
  • Low line Voltage Protection.
  • Variable speed intelligent Cooling Fan.
  • High Voltage Protection.
  • Automatic thermal shutdown.
  • Built-in accessory port for the Converter Status Remote Pendant.
  • 2 year limited warranty.

Your Price :$249.52
Item Number : 55-9010 / N19-0315
Manufacturer : Progressive Dynamics
Manufacturer Part No : PD9270
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001Charger.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	14709  
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 06:17 PM   #19

Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon35
The second generation 2012 378 LX has Inteli-Power converter. My early 2112 378 has an other brand. My coach is in storage and I don't remember the brand. When I had my tour of the Georgetown plant I saw they were putting in the Inteli-power. I had put the same one on my fifth wheel so I noticed it. I asked them at Forest River service if my converter could have been the reason that my battery blow up. They checked my converter and told me it was fine and that it had a control on it to make sure it charged the batteries properly.
Protect-A-Tow
Falcon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 06:27 PM   #20

Wet cell deep cycle batteries don't last long if not properly maintained. I replaced mine after 2 yrs. I PROMISE I'll take better care of them this time.
Owned 2015 Sunseeker 3010DS previously
raoulwv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led pad, battery