Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2020, 06:15 PM   #1

What other Brand Gas MH are equal to Georgtowns?

I know many here have recently purchased a Georgetown.
Did you look at other gas motorhomes before buying?
Like to hear what you looked and why you may have not bought it.

Examples:
Too expensive?
Bad floorplan?
Cheap interior?
Didn't have a king size bed?
Too small?
I wanted a 38 footer with 3 slides?

Let hear what else is out there equal to the Georgetown?
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 06:20 PM   #2

I believe the Bounder is equal. Winnebago, not sure on the model levels. Tiffins are also up there!

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 07:35 PM   #3

The 2020 or 2021 Bounder quad slide looks pretty nice. Haven’t seen one in the flesh though.
We looked at the Thor Challengers and didn’t think they were on point for what we were looking for. Drinks for 6, dinner for 4 and sleep 2. The GT 378 TS checked pretty much all the boxes. The opposing living room slides sealed the deal for us.
Mooney 78865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 08:22 PM   #4

We looked at Thor, FR 369XL and FR3. The 378XL layout was what we needed for work space and the opposing slide and larger TV was very nice.
Lgortman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 09:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lgortman View Post
We looked at Thor, FR 369XL and FR3. The 378XL layout was what we needed for work space and the opposing slide and larger TV was very nice.
Yes the GT XL 378TS does have lots of living room space.
Only wish it had a king size bed instead of a short queen.
Old 10-04-2020, 11:49 PM   #6

We looked at a few others before deciding on the 34H5. Fleetwood Bounder and Southwind. Nice units but not into the couch and slanted TV/fireplace which seems to be the norm on many of the units in the same size range. Newmar and Tiffin are nice but a little pricier and we were specifically looking for a unit with an RV reefer as we like to boondock now and then and didn't want a residential reefer. The only down side to the 34H5 (for some) will be it only has the two theater seats vs a couch. No problem for us but if you constantly travel with more than 2 it could be an issue. I had looked at Thor a year or so earlier and decided not to look at them again.

Winnebago has nice units but the ones we looked at had Queen size beds. Same with Coachman. I definitely wanted the RV King that was not short! Another factor was holding tanks. The 34H5 has 52 gallon size for black and grey which is about 10 more than most units we looked at. Many of the two bath designs have more due to having 2 tanks (one for each bath) but it's a nice trade off to have the extra capacity in a single tank. Also, it probably had the largest shower of any unit we looked at. The D7's (They were XL's when we looked in 2019) are nice but we were looking for a slightly subdued interior with less gloss as well. That was also a factor in some of the fancier other brands. They were a bit more expensive and saving a few dollars is nothing to sneeze at.

It seems like everyone has issues when they buy a new RV and you usually only hear horror stories but having owned a different brand before, I can say that Forest River has been very good to deal with and I am happy with the quality re the price point.

I could have saved a few bucks buying out of town but (at least locally) there is some truth to dealers prioritizing service to units they sold so I stayed local. I've been pretty happy with my dealer and service so far.

I know you've been looking at the 34M5 which seems like a nice unit. We chose the 34H5 because of the floorplan and also some research into Forest River service thanks to the forum after owing a Fleetwood. I will say checked it out as thoroughly as I could (I crawled under the unit to take a look, too) before making an offer. I even lucked out and visited it at the dealer on a rainy day and verified no leaks (lol). We don't get much rain in Vegas so that was a plus.

We have the V10 but from everything I'm hearing the V8 should be very dependable and like I said in another post, my wife has a new Ford Expedition and it's the nicest vehicle I've ever owned. Taken it on long trips and no issues noted. The V10's have served me well and I think we'll hold on to the 34H5 for a bit before we go looking again. Oh, and yep... those three slides are nice for the extra space and I love having full body paint.
TominVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 12:02 AM   #7

We have our eye set on the Forest River FR3 33DS. In fact, we went to the Las Vegas Camping World today to check out (for the second time) the 33DS. We were there last Sunday. We thought the 33DS have the V10 engine. But I was wrong. The one in the lot is a 2021 33DS model with a V8 engine. I asked the rep about the towing capacity of the V8. I was told that the "tow hitch" is 5K, which I already know. What I wanted to know is the Max Combined GVWR, including the towed vehicle. I was told the V8 engine was about 2K less than the V10 engine (but the rep couldn't be 100% sure).

I tried to looking up in the next and can't find the specs of the V8 engine yet. If the weight is LESS than the V10, then I may have to start hunting for any left over V10 unit. We really like the 33DS floor plan.
(Are there any other manufacturer that have a similar floor plan as the FR3 33DS, that still have V10 engine)?
ADOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 12:47 AM   #8

Good to see another Vegas area RVer! Interesting that you were told the V8 has less towing capacity. Although I'm not in the market that would be good to know. Based on the specs between the different engines on the stripped chassis, I don't see much as they are in listed in ranges which are pretty close to the same from what I can see online.

On page 31 of the following 2020 Ford towing guide brochure it lists gvwr and gcwr. The same guide mentions the V8 on page 7. These specs seem the same as the V10 from what I can tell but hopefully someone can confirm that. :
|
https://www.fleet.ford.com/content/d...owingGuide.pdf
TominVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 09:15 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADOR View Post
We have our eye set on the Forest River FR3 33DS. In fact, we went to the Las Vegas Camping World today to check out (for the second time) the 33DS. We were there last Sunday. We thought the 33DS have the V10 engine. But I was wrong. The one in the lot is a 2021 33DS model with a V8 engine. I asked the rep about the towing capacity of the V8. I was told that the "tow hitch" is 5K, which I already know. What I wanted to know is the Max Combined GVWR, including the towed vehicle. I was told the V8 engine was about 2K less than the V10 engine (but the rep couldn't be 100% sure).

I tried to looking up in the next and can't find the specs of the V8 engine yet. If the weight is LESS than the V10, then I may have to start hunting for any left over V10 unit. We really like the 33DS floor plan.
(Are there any other manufacturer that have a similar floor plan as the FR3 33DS, that still have V10 engine)?
Actually it should be higher because the engine V8 weighs less than the V10.
The new V8 is a much stonger engine in respect to HP and torque and weighs less. Easier to work on etc.
I personally looking at a upgrade from my V10 to the new V8.
Just hasn't found the right deal yet because they go fast.
I like the GT5 34M5 model
Old 10-05-2020, 09:21 AM   #10
Commercial Member

The NEW V8 Chassis has the same towing as the OLD V10 motor. Ford did not change the GVWR's or the GCWR on the V8 Chassis. Ford did change the horsepower from 320 to 350 and changed the Foot Pounds of Torque from 460 to 468 for the new V8's. Ford also had major changes to the suspension with bigger front and rear sway bars. Ford kept the same 6 speed Torque Shift Transmission.

Yes, FR has 5K hitches on every FR3 and Georgetown model. With that said you still need to subtract the GVWR from the GCWR for what that unit can tow. For example The 33DS that ADOR is looking at has an 20,500 GVWR and 26,000 GCWR so that 33DS on paper can tow up to 5,500 pounds! BUT FR's hitch is ONLY 5K! Hope this helps
Cdefrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 10:34 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdefrees View Post
The NEW V8 Chassis has the same towing as the OLD V10 motor. Ford did not change the GVWR's or the GCWR on the V8 Chassis. Ford did change the horsepower from 320 to 350 and changed the Foot Pounds of Torque from 460 to 468 for the new V8's. Ford also had major changes to the suspension with bigger front and rear sway bars. Ford kept the same 6 speed Torque Shift Transmission.

Yes, FR has 5K hitches on every FR3 and Georgetown model. With that said you still need to subtract the GVWR from the GCWR for what that unit can tow. For example The 33DS that ADOR is looking at has an 20,500 GVWR and 26,000 GCWR so that 33DS on paper can tow up to 5,500 pounds! BUT FR's hitch is ONLY 5K! Hope this helps

Thanks. Great information about suspension.

Engine Specifications
F53
Engine type 7.3L 2V DEVCT NA PFI V8 Gas
Engine electronics Bosch Multicore MG1CS019
Displacement [ci.] 445
Horsepower 350 (3,900)
Torque (lb.-ft. @rpm) 468 (3,900)
Compression ratio 10.5:1
Bore x stroke (in.) 4.21 x 3.98
Main bearings 5 Main Bearings
Valvetrain OHV / 2 Valves Per Cylinder
Valve lifters Pushrod / Rocker arms
Fuel delivery Port Fuel Injection
Electronic throttle control Standard
Engine oil cooler Standard
Exhaust Cast Stainless Steel
Transmission type TorqShift 6-speed automatic with Tow/Haul Mode
Engine block material Cast Iron
Cylinder head material Aluminum
Old 10-05-2020, 11:05 AM   #12
NXR

Quote:
Also, it probably had the largest shower of any unit we looked at.
That was a factor for us, as was the one-piece shower enclosure. I've read of too many leaks from the ones with separate pans. (And then I had the leak from the shower water valves. <sigh>)

Quote:
BUT FR's hitch is ONLY 5K!
Another FR employee, CMCDONOUGH, explained in a post here that it's because the next hitch size up from 5,000 lbs is 7,500 lbs and FR did not want people thinking they could tow more just because they had a larger hitch capacity. If I had the 24,000 GVWR/30,000 GCWR chassis and I needed to tow the extra weight I'd have a hitch shop replace the 5,000 lb hitch with a 7,500 lb hitch and just understand I could not tow the full 7,500 lbs.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2314694

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2315135

Ray
Old 10-05-2020, 12:58 PM   #13

Smile George Town 378 TS XL

We have a 2016 Georgetown 378TS XL and couldn't be happier. When we were shopping we also looked at a Coachman Miranda (I believe) and there was no comparison in our opinion.

Have the dealer close the slides before you buy you might be amazed how small an area is actually accessible when you are traveling on the road. The George Town has ample room to go to the bathroom, and the bed room even when traveling. Not so with coachman. Had to turn sideways to get into the bathroom and couldn't access the bedroom area at all when slide was closed. That sealed it for us, there was no comparison between the two.
Wesley1249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 01:19 PM   #14
NXR

I just wish the current Georgetown interiors weren't so bland. That "Landis Ash" is a lot better than the previous super-dark glossy wood in the XL, though.

We'd consider upgrading to a GT7 but the 34H5 floorplan is not available in the GT7. Per the numbers given in the "hitch bolts were not tightened to the correct torque" NHTSA recall that covered three or four months of production the 34H5 was one of the more popular floorplans in the GT5 series.

Ray
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Recall Numbers.PNG
Views:	66
Size:	163.4 KB
ID:	240616  

Tags
gas