Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2016, 05:33 PM   #1

Where did they hide my inverter

I have a 2014 Georgetown XL 377. Does anyone know where they put the inverter? I can find the switch, but it does not appear to do anything. Either the switch is bad or the inverter is bad (or maybe needs reset). If it is bad I need to replace it......I just cannot find where they hid it.
CarefreeCorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 05:40 PM   #2

On my 2015 377 it is in a compartment above the propane tank. There is a round screw off cap that you can look in and see it. If you need to work on it you will need to remove the black panel.
Old 09-20-2016, 06:11 PM   #3

Thanks, its right where you said it was, now I just need to figure out why there is no power to it
Old 09-20-2016, 09:32 PM   #4

When mine didn't have power turned out that the gfi popped on the outlet it was plugged into.
Uwntgess123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 09:16 AM   #5

No power in, GFI does not work without input power.
Old 09-21-2016, 10:28 AM   #6

In the case of these inverters the GFI is not the input...it is the output. The remote button will glow green, meaning that the inverter is powered and running but the load will not receive any AC since the output goes through a GFI duplex outlet on the back. Reset the GFI and all is well.

If the remote switch doesn't glow green, the inverter is not running. Could be a fuse is blown or something on the DC side. If that is the case, put a meter on the DC input lugs on the back of the inverter to see if there is power. If there is...

If the remote switch is bad or unplugged you can power the inverter up with the switch on the front of the unit. There is also a display that will give you nominal DC voltage as well as instantaneous power consumption.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 11:49 AM   #7

If the problem is no power to the inverter, Look near your batteries. there should be a breaker that looks similar to this

that connects to the 12v wire that goes back to the inverter. It may have tripped.

You will probably have two of them under there.
Old 09-21-2016, 12:52 PM   #8

As mentioned in earlier comments.
1. The gfci outlet on the inverter can trip. Mine did numerous times and I finally tore the inverter apart and changed out the gfci to a standard duplex receptacle. Everything works fine now and the 5er has gfci receptacles inside.
2. The input fuse FR installs is 80A and Xantrex recommends 250A for the 200W inverter. I changed that out to a 250A and all is good now.
Havasu Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 01:11 PM   #9

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havasu Bill View Post
2. The input fuse FR installs is 80A and Xantrex recommends 250A for the 200W inverter. I changed that out to a 250A and all is good now.

This does not compute. A 200w inverter only needs about 20 amps of DC input (assuming it runs on 12v DC).

Also...
Did you increase the wire size too? If not you have created a potential fire hazard. Fuse sizes are dictated by the size of the wiring they are supposed to be protecting. I'm not so much posting this to tell you that you did it wrong (how far would that get me?), but more so that others coming along and reading this realize the risk.
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 01:13 PM   #10

That's a typo, Xantrex makes a 2000 watt inverter, not a 200 watt unit. Normally FR uses a 2000 watt unit for the residential reefer.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 01:31 PM   #11

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
I wondered about that...200w is barely enough to run a TV.

The comments about wire/fuse sizing are still true though. It is definitely not a good idea to "upgrade" a fuse to over 3 times the capacity without making sure the wiring is capable of handling the current. The expected load is irrelevant as fuses are there to protect the wire from starting a fire when things go wrong.
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 04:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenImp View Post
This does not compute. A 200w inverter only needs about 20 amps of DC input (assuming it runs on 12v DC).

Also...
Did you increase the wire size too? If not you have created a potential fire hazard. Fuse sizes are dictated by the size of the wiring they are supposed to be protecting. I'm not so much posting this to tell you that you did it wrong (how far would that get me?), but more so that others coming along and reading this realize the risk.
Good catch! It's a 2000W inverter! Trying to type on my IPhone...
Also, good clarification on wire size for others. The size was already good on mine. Others might not be so good to check!
Havasu Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 05:58 PM   #13

After spending a number of hours under the chassis, I found the problem. FR uses cheap self taping screws on the ground leading from the inverter which sheared off. Arc and spark 2 ft from the propane tank....just feel lucky.......thanks for all the input

Tags
inverter