Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2018, 10:26 AM   #1

Wifi amp Pro Install options

So...I picked up a wifi camp pro (which works quite well BTW) and am looking for suggestions on install options.

1. Use suction cup and put up and take down when needed.
2. Use ladder mount with PVC tubes and run the USB cable into the motorhome.

I was going to do the ladder mount and run the cable through my fridge vent but there is a microwave next to my fridge and not an obvious may to get the cable into the space next to the fridge. I prefer not to drill a hole in my roof because I am not sure where it is safe to drill and where it is not. My OTA antenna is a bat wing and does not raise up so attaching the wifi antenna to it is not an option...is anyone using the suction cup and if so do you see any issues with that?
Old 04-18-2018, 03:01 PM   #2

I attached the antenna to an all thread rod that I attached to a 3" diameter magnet that I bought at Harbor Frieght. When needed I place the antenna on the hood and run the cable thru the door to the router.
I didn't want a permanent installation so I can take it with us when we get a new motorhome. Also I put cloth under the magnet so we don't scratch the paint.
clhjsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 08:36 PM   #3

BTW if you are in the market for one of these....it looks like they just came out with the wifi camp pro 2 for about the same price......I bought mine from rokland and have emailed them about getting the newer one since I have had it less than a week. they emailed me back and said they have that option if it's within the return period.
Old 04-20-2018, 07:44 PM   #4

A rep from rokland advised that the only thing that changed from camp Pro 1 to Camp pro 2 is the router. Since I am still in the return period they are going to send me a new router and a postage paid return label to ship the version 1 router back. Pretty good customer service from Rokland!
Old 04-21-2018, 12:25 AM   #5

I strapped a 6' piece of PVC to the ladder with a "T" at the top. My antenna is mounted to a 4' piece of PVC that we keep inside our trailer until we get set up. Takes 5 minutes to set up. Love the Camp Pro.
Old 04-21-2018, 05:11 AM   #6

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1218.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	248.2 KB
ID:	168995heres my set up works great!
Old 04-21-2018, 05:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaWiMa View Post
I strapped a 6' piece of PVC to the ladder with a "T" at the top. My antenna is mounted to a 4' piece of PVC that we keep inside our trailer until we get set up. Takes 5 minutes to set up. Love the Camp Pro.
How do you run the USB cable?
Old 04-23-2018, 09:09 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclinton View Post
How do you run the USB cable?
Sorry for the delay. We just run it through the rear window in the bunkhouse. The split in the seal is just wide enough for the cable to fit and still be able to close the window completely. I would offer pics but the trailer is in for service at the moment.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:44 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaWiMa View Post
Sorry for the delay. We just run it through the rear window in the bunkhouse. The split in the seal is just wide enough for the cable to fit and still be able to close the window completely. I would offer pics but the trailer is in for service at the moment.
Thanks! I will see if that will work on mine.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:55 AM   #10

After thinking about this and watching a few youtube videos I am thinking about installing it using ladder and PVC method and running the usb cable into the rear lower storage area via the drain hole that is already in the compartment. There is an outlet already there that has my converter plugged into it. It really makes no difference where the router is located as long as its reachable from inside the camper.

Anyone see any gotchas with that?