Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-25-2017, 11:29 AM   #1

Wind speeds?

Due to leave on a whirlwind NJ TO FL trip today Unfortunately there is a wind warning. Anyone know the pint at which a crosswind becomes dicey? Does speed play into it much?

Thanks
EricNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 11:50 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricNJ View Post
Due to leave on a whirlwind NJ TO FL trip today Unfortunately there is a wind warning. Anyone know the pint at which a crosswind becomes dicey? Does speed play into it much?

Thanks
Basically, all crosswinds can be dicey. The higher your speed, the the worse it can be. When I dragged a TT a passing 18 wheeler was hazardous. Slow down and take it easy. You'll get there.
Schvarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 12:06 PM   #3

I know you said NJ-FL but if you ever go to the UP of MI over the Mackinac Bridge during a "Wind Alert" your Georgetown will be in the Same lane as ALL the other "High Profile Vehicles" will be going 20 MPH following a Bridge Authority Pace Vehicle,with your 4 way flashers ON! Not for the "Faint of Heart"! Youroo!!
Old 12-25-2017, 12:10 PM   #4
Site Team

Avoid the large bridges. Del Mem and Chesapeake Bay or Bay bridge tunnel as they will restrict RV's in high winds.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 02:09 PM   #5

Speed is a serious factor. There's a warning for a reason. If you don't have the experience, don't jeopardize your family's safety (or mine). Wait a few hours till evening when the winds generally subside. Not worth risking it. Just my opinion.
Rusty
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 10:20 PM   #6

Cool ASOS

I own a 2015 Georgetown XL 352 model. Saying "big motorhome" and "excessive wind" in the same sentence is nuts. What I do is add the airport ASOS (automated surface observation system) phone number to my phone.
Example: BWI ASOS (1-410-691-1278). It gives time, wind direction, wind speed, possible gust speed, sky condition, temperature, dew point, possible thunderstorm activity etc.

Just lookup how to understand an ASOS report. Spend a little time following the sequence of the report and your good to go all over the world. All Aircraft rely on this data for takeoff and landing. Your motorhome or trailer is subject to the very same factors. Drive safely my friend.
weatherguru1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 02:18 PM   #7

Common Sense. Anything above 10-20 can be dicey. It all depends on ______. I was driving through Jacksonville FL on the eastern 95/295 loop and heard about wind ,... As I climbed the bridge (?150-250 up), I said to myself - not bad. UNTIL I started going down. Going up, the bridge blocked the wind, but as I reached the top and went over, there was NO MORE protection and I knew it! I was really grateful for my Husky Centerline WDH that I paid EXTRA for!
270S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 02:47 PM   #8
Always Learning

Quote:

Thanks
How did you fair? What did you decide to do?
Old 12-28-2017, 12:06 AM   #9

Thanks for all the guidance!I waited till the wind died down for the most part. I never felt at risk.
My 2014 Georgetown handles very nicely. First owner added a Leif spring. On normal days it’s two finger driving.
I will say Waze indicated an 18 1/2 hr trip. In reality that turned out to be 27 hours of road time (includes driving, gas breaks and 1 hr meal breaks, but not sleep breaks. Had hoped to be in Ft Lauderdale at end of 2nd day. After a night at a Cracker Barrel and another in a FL rest stop we finally hit grandmas place at 2:00 on the 3rd day.
Old 12-28-2017, 06:41 AM   #10

Smart. Gad you made it safe and sound.
Rusty
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 07:34 AM   #11

Quote:
Thanks for all the guidance!I waited till the wind died down for the most part. I never felt at risk.
My 2014 Georgetown handles very nicely. First owner added a Leif spring. On normal days it’s two finger driving.
I will say Waze indicated an 18 1/2 hr trip. In reality that turned out to be 27 hours of road time (includes driving, gas breaks and 1 hr meal breaks, but not sleep breaks. Had hoped to be in Ft Lauderdale at end of 2nd day. After a night at a Cracker Barrel and another in a FL rest stop we finally hit grandmas place at 2:00 on the 3rd day.
Very smart move! I have done "Much Research" over the years towing in "Inclement Weather Conditions" Pull Off the Road in a Safe place if too severe,but definitely Slow Down! You will find that it is better to go 50 MPH on the Road than 70 MPH in the DITCH! Youroo!!
Old 01-01-2018, 12:58 PM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

I've drove thru 20-40 mph crosswinds, but just slow it down till I found a safe place to stop. Only once did I stop in the middle of a tollway is when I had a wall cloud tornado cross in front of me.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 01:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Waze doesn't understand why you weren't doing the posted 70 mph the whole way!!!
Schvarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:13 PM   #14

That’s for sure! I’m going to try using two profiles to see if that helps. One for RV and another for my car.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:54 PM   #15

On long trips, I always calculate the time based on averaging 50 mph. Add an hour to hour and a half for each restaurant meal stop. Usually works out well.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:05 PM   #16
Multi-Slacker

Https://windy.com gets you current wind conditions and forecast

Old 01-15-2018, 10:29 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtPutnam View Post
Https://windy.com gets you current wind conditions and forecast

Nice! Thanks!
Old 01-16-2018, 08:11 AM   #18

As a pilot, I found the following 2 websites with more detail and easy to use. You can drop down to any location and get all types of wx information.

Florida Wind Speed Map - Air Sports Net

Wind Map - South East United States Observations
270S is offline   Reply With Quote