Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2014, 11:13 AM   #1

Windshield keeps having problems

I have a 2004 Georgetown 325. I have been having trouble with the front shield. First problem was the drivers side popped out in the top right corner. I called a glass guy who was suppose to know about motor home glass. He said the trouble was that the glass was glued to the rubber seal. So I had hime rest and glue both sides in. Then next time I took it out and used the levers, the drivers side developed a serious stress crack. So this time I called the local forest river dealership who directed me to their recommended glass shop. He is now installing the new windshield. He told me that it should not have been glued in. That the window needs to be able to flex in the seal. The problem with not glueing is that it could leak.

Has anyone had problem with their windshield and if so what did you do and what was the result?

Thanks.

Fred
Fdh1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 12:45 PM   #2

I am having the same problem. I also replaced the windshield .
leflore1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 02:45 PM   #3

My friend had a similar issue(slight leak/and the glass flexed in the corners when you pushed on it) with his MH.. Glass guy explained to him that the windshields are not glued in... And recommended a small bead of flexible caulking ... Along the top..(Can't tell it's their)..Which we did.. Going on 3yrs now no issue..
Old 09-24-2014, 08:17 PM   #4

Window told me windows needed glued in. Paid him $300 to pull window and glue in. Next time I setup, drivers side shattereed. Call forest river dealership and asked them, they referred me to the glass shop that does their work. He said only take in the corners. Glueing in will result in stress cracks almost always.

But he said it is possible for it still pull out. Seems for as much as these cost, there shouldn't be such expensive issues for just using the installed leveling systems. I will only use blocks from now on, and use levelers as stabilizers.
Fdh1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 01:40 PM   #5

Had an issue with our 2012 378TS . If it rained exceptionally hard or I drove through a heavy downpour some water would make it inside usually through the top of windshield . I was told by Guardian Glass repair guy (Guardian was was called in to look at it by repair shop), that unlike a car were window is fixed the glass "floats "inside gasket'd frame. This is due apparently to how big the glass is. Because of all this flexing I needed to be aware of the condition of the caulking between the window gasket and MH body. They resealed it with 3M Window Weld which allows for some movement . Now I make inspection/ resealing part of daily or weekly inspection when we're on the move. ( Sun doesn't do it any favors either)
Nomore9-5 is offline   Reply With Quote