Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2021, 12:39 AM   #1

Winegard 360, Gateway Router, and Data Plans

New 2021 Georgetown 36D7
We are getting quite frustrated trying to get our wifi set up. I keep reading about folks using their phones as hot spots, and then I read that you do better using the router. Besides, it's hooked to a better antenna than your phone.

We have our phones on AT&T and are supposed to be able to just add the device to our plan. Our frustration is that we watch a lot of TV and would like to find an unlimited data plan. We have no idea how much data we would need. We will also be using our computers, but don't know the data usage there either. The guy at the AT&T store could only find 25 GB ($50) and 40 GB ($75) plans, with expensive overages. He admitted he didn't know much about it.

We did find cheaper AT&T prepaid plans later online for data only with 100 GB for $55, 20 GB for $25, if you pay for the year in advance, or 15 GB for $35.

Our family found unlimited data on Verizon, but I think you have to have a cellphone plan. Also, when we enter the IMEI number for the router on their website, they say the device isn't compatible.

The Winegard site isn't much help. They list all 3 main carriers. The largest Winegard AT&T pay as you go plan is $150 for 20 GB, super expensive. They say they don't have overages, you just buy more.

We were going to purchase Chromecast with Google TV, so that we can stream from our non-smart TV's, but settled on an HDMI cable to connect to our phones for now.

I can't seem to find any of the posts or forums that I found before dealing with this subject.

Sorry to be such a newbie. This is not our first RV, but is our first class A. Any help would be greatly appreciated. We need to hear from actual users. What are other Georgetown owners doing? We can't seem to get any definite answers. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210902-225256_Chrome.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	262596Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210909-214356_Chrome.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	262597
tsgm90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 01:55 AM   #2

Yes, very frustrating. First, check here for the latest info.

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/

I will say I have the Winegard Internet 4G modem/ wifi router on my 5th wheel roof but don't use it anymore. When these units were first sold under the Togo brand name, ATT offered a truly unlimited annual plan for $360. Last year ATT discontinued the plan so I didn't renew it because theirs plans are too expensive for full-timers like us.

I now just use my T-mobile cell phone as a wifi hotspot. Under our T-mobile plan they do not throttle your bandwidth if you are in an area that is not congested. Lucky for us, in the summer we are not so we use 650 GB or more per month.

I saw a video a few days ago where a guy was using Starlink for his RV. He had to trick the system because it is not available in all parts of the US yet. Maybe next year.

Anyway, look at the videos on the link above as these guys are always looking for better ways to do what you want.

Good luck!
Old 09-10-2021, 07:54 AM   #3

Welcome to RV streaming.
We dropped Directv in January for both home and RV and haven't looked back.

We have a Chromecast device.
I found 4 services.

Invisible (Verizon)
Unlimited but generally 2-5 mbs download (sometimes as high as 75 mbs)
Cost $25-$40/ month.
This is a month to month plan. Like a perpaid plan.
Very good coverage
You are only allowed one hotspot connected device at a time, so no router option.

AT&T hotspot
Capped at 10gb per phone
Cost: included in our plan
Very good coverage
Many hotspot connected devices

Calx Institute (Sprint)
Unlimited
No throttling
No experience but if close to a tower then it should be great.
Cost varies between $400-$700/year.
Routers are an option

T-mobile
Very good price but coverage is spotty.
Hotspot is included with phone plan.
Don't know much about T-mobile.

We use Visibile and like it.
When Visible's signal is poor we connect to AT&T and stream SD TV and keep an eye on our data use. SD will use about 500mb per hour. Picture is good on our 45" TV.
Please ask any questions you may have.
I do believe once 5G becomes the norm prices will drop and have better downing speed.
Old 09-10-2021, 08:46 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsgm90 View Post
New 2021 Georgetown 36D7
We are getting quite frustrated trying to get our wifi set up. I keep reading about folks using their phones as hot spots, and then I read that you do better using the router. Besides, it's hooked to a better antenna than your phone.

We have our phones on AT&T and are supposed to be able to just add the device to our plan. Our frustration is that we watch a lot of TV and would like to find an unlimited data plan. We have no idea how much data we would need. We will also be using our computers, but don't know the data usage there either. The guy at the AT&T store could only find 25 GB ($50) and 40 GB ($75) plans, with expensive overages. He admitted he didn't know much about it.

We did find cheaper AT&T prepaid plans later online for data only with 100 GB for $55, 20 GB for $25, if you pay for the year in advance, or 15 GB for $35.

Our family found unlimited data on Verizon, but I think you have to have a cellphone plan. Also, when we enter the IMEI number for the router on their website, they say the device isn't compatible.

The Winegard site isn't much help. They list all 3 main carriers. The largest Winegard AT&T pay as you go plan is $150 for 20 GB, super expensive. They say they don't have overages, you just buy more.

We were going to purchase Chromecast with Google TV, so that we can stream from our non-smart TV's, but settled on an HDMI cable to connect to our phones for now.

I can't seem to find any of the posts or forums that I found before dealing with this subject.

Sorry to be such a newbie. This is not our first RV, but is our first class A. Any help would be greatly appreciated. We need to hear from actual users. What are other Georgetown owners doing? We can't seem to get any definite answers. Attachment 262596Attachment 262597
We experimented with a Verizon data plan, their MIFi solution, and an older model Netgear router.

It all can work for you but is extremely expense because streaming data for TV watching gobbles data gigs at a time. After watching TV, mostly evenings, after 2 days we consumed our whole 20 or 30 gb plan. You can buy more data, but the cost was another 50 dollars.

Verizon had (this goes back to 2019 when we had our plan) a data plan for business useage and the cost was close to $1,000/month.

If you watch a lot of TV you may want to consider a satellite. Be aware of the requirements of a clear view of the southern sky, diffeeent satellite channel viewing, and equipment required.

My compliment of TV watching solutions include a roof mounted in motion T4 Dish service dome, my ota antenna, and a DVD player.

We find campgrounds offering wifi can sometimes support streaming to our smart TV.

Our home Spectrum plan will allow watching TV on our cellular plan phones through their app but I am not a fan of smaller screens.

Good luck

Chris
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 01:38 PM   #5

Greetings sorry for your frustrations. We have T-Mobile for our service. We have the 55 plus plan where you get 2 cell phone lines for $70.00 a month. With auto pay our cost is $60.00 a month UNLIMITED EVERYTHING INCLUDING HOT SPOT WHICH HAS NO DATA CAP. NO DATA CAP ON YOUR CELL PHONES. WE LOVE T-MOBILE WE ALSO FIRED AT&T AS OUR INTERNET PROVIDER AND WENT WITH T-MOBILE INTERNET SERVICE. T-MOBILE INTERNET IS $50.00 a month for life that you use them. No contract on cell phones or Internet. Go check and see make the switch we did many years ago. Hope this helps you out.
Old 09-10-2021, 01:54 PM   #6

Sorry you are frustred

Greetings sorry you are frustred. We have T- mobile for our cell phone service. We have the 55 plus plan. Cost is $70.00 a month with 2 cell phone lines with unlimited everything plus a hot spot on both phones unlimited everything. With autopay the cost is $60.00 a month no contract. We also have T-Mobile home Internet service for for $50.00 a month and no data cap on CELL PHONES OR HOME INTERNET. IF YOU NEED MORE INFO MY email is (tcorl5162@gmail.com)
Hope this helps. My sign in on the forum is (tcorl)
Have a good weekend.
tcorl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 02:05 PM   #7

Sorry you are frustred

We have T-Mobile for our cell phone service. With our plan the 55 Plus plan we get 2 cell phone unlimited everything no data cap $70.00 a month with autopay is $60.00. no contract. We stream on out HOT SPOTS NO DATA CAP. We also have T-Mobile for our home internet cost is $50.00 a month for LIFETIME. No contract. NO DATA CAP. Go check it out sounds like you are paying way to much for cell service. We have a ROKU THAT WE STREAM ON IN OUR 5TH WHEEL. HOPE THIS HELP
Old 09-10-2021, 02:10 PM   #8

Sorry you are frustred

Tsgm90
could you send me a message so i can give you information about our cell phone plan
thanks ted
Old 09-10-2021, 02:53 PM   #9

Just a couple of data points...

Just a couple of data points since you didn't do the homework.
Each feature length (~120 minutes) movie will consume 5 GB.

To see a movie at full HD (1080i or 1920x1080) requires a consistent speed of about 10 Mbps. Any less and you will have buffering.

It's not easy to find a cellular service with both attributes, nor is it cheap.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 06:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcorl View Post
Tsgm90

could you send me a message so i can give you information about our cell phone plan

thanks ted
I haven't figured out how to send a PM yet.
Old 09-10-2021, 06:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Just a couple of data points since you didn't do the homework.

Each feature length (~120 minutes) movie will consume 5 GB.

To see a movie at full HD (1080i or 1920x1080) requires a consistent speed of about 10 Mbps. Any less and you will have buffering.

It's not easy to find a cellular service with both attributes, nor is it cheap.
This is the reason we need unlimited. We know we would use over 100 GB of data in a month.
Old 09-11-2021, 11:23 AM   #12

A little more info on my T-Mobile. I use an LG-V60 for my wifi hotspot. I check my bandwidth quite a bit and was at 55 Mbs just a few minutes ago. That is with 3 bars an 5G.

Since September 7th I have used 87GB or roughly 20GB a day. We stream YouTubeTV , Netflix, and Prime Video quite a bit. Sometimes using 2 TVs. Both are on Roku sticks.

We do have the 55+ plan with the International add on.

I will say that the service will have a few dropouts occasionally but not for long periods and maybe about once a week.

Again, we will use over 650GB a month.

Cost is $110 a month for 2 phones.
Old 09-11-2021, 03:21 PM   #13

I would never rely on Data for anything. some places are to spotty to be reliable. Much rather have satellite and then data for regular computer usage and maybe light streaming. if you look there are satellite companies offering data also, it gets pricey but much more reliable with no tower locations to worry about.

another thing you can do is just mirror your phone right to the TV. no need to worry about an extra data plan or using up the hotspot on your phone.

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 04:39 PM   #14

I gave up satellite 3 years ago when my bill was over $150 month. Never looked back.

Streaming gives you so much more.

And much more reliable than you think.

Since using Prime Video, I no longer need to buy Blu Rays. Just buy from prime and watch as many times as you want. I know my grandson has watched Home Alone at least 25 times.

Anyway, to each their own!
Old 09-11-2021, 10:29 PM   #15

We use the FMCA TechConnect plan and MIFI unit with unlimited data for $49.99 per month. It currently uses the Sprint network, so I'm not sure if the Sprint/T-Mobile merger will change anything, but it still works well now. I've been very happy with it.

The MIFI unit can connect up to about a dozen? devices, but we normally only connect up to a maximum of 2 Roku units (usually 1) and a laptop and printer at any given time. The MIFI unit's antenna is MUCH stronger than our phones. We haven't had any issues with coverage in the areas we've stayed at, mainly between Minnesota and East/Central Texas, but there are bound to be gaps in the West.

We try to be efficient with data use as much as possible. We have YouTube TV which allows us to reduce the resolution and data use. Same with Netflix. Prime Video does not allow reducing resolution unfortunately. The most data we've used in a month on the MIFI is in the low 100GBs. We use much more than that at home over broadband.
Chuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 11:01 PM   #16

T mobile
100gb data only no contract
$50 a month

Works great for us
thebigkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 07:57 AM   #17

We have the Winegard 360 with gateway. Signed up for the T-Mobile 100g plan for $50 a month. So far we’ve been happy with it.
pcbikenski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 03:19 PM   #18

I use my cell phone hot spot through Xfinity Mobile or my husband’s which is on our TMobile plan. Both have unlimited data. We have a plug we bought at Walmart that has HDMI on one end, a micro plug on the other and just hook up our phone to the TV.

We both work while traveling on our devices. I already have mobile in my Surface and my iPad so that’s not of any issue as both are also unlimited plans.

For when we are in a poor signal area, we have a WeBoost to boost the cell signal and a Winegard to convert that to WiFi if needed.

I wouldn’t pay all that money for those high dollar plans. Seems ridiculous. At a maximum, I’d buy a MiFi and use that. They come with unlimited plans for around $50.
LaLaLisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 06:12 PM   #19

Give Travel Data a shot. They use the T-Mobile network. www.traveldata.page

Prices are $55 for SD or $78 for HD streaming. Prices go up $5 Nov 1st
jsward12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 06:33 PM   #20

Winegard Option

I installed two different Winegard products on two different RVs. The first was a Winegard 360+. I have Verizon Do More Unlimited for my iPhone, so I also get 50% off Unlimited Data on another device on my plan. I have a 4th Gen iPad with a Verizon Cellular Data built in that I haven’t used in several years. I ordered a NEW SIM card from Verizon and provided Verizon the EMEI number from my iPad. When I got the new SIM, I inserted it into my iPad and I activated it on my Verizon plan. Once I verified the data plan was active, I removed the SIM from the iPad and installed it into the Winegard Gateway that I installed with the Winegard 360+. After installing the app from the App Store, I followed the directions and connected to the Verizon network and streamed the data to the FireTV in the camper. On the second install in our new 5th Wheel, I purchased the Winegard Connect2 and simply moved the SIM to the new Winegard product. Everything worked fine. Your individual plan may vary, but my Verizon plan is 50% off (normally $30/mo for Unlimited), but I only pay $15/mo. DISCLAIMER: Verizon’s “Unlimited” plan includes 22GB/mo and they can throttle it down, which has happened. On a typical weekend of camping, we use about 4-6GB of data, between our iPhones and the TV for streaming. Whatever you do, DO NOT try to activate the SIM with Verizon or AT&T directly. They won’t recognize the EMEI of the Winegard and they’ll just tel you it doesn’t work. Total BS. IT DOES WORK, you just have to activate it in a valid product, such as a phone or tablet that has a cellular modem. Good Luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsgm90 View Post
New 2021 Georgetown 36D7

Sorry to be such a newbie. This is not our first RV, but is our first class A. Any help would be greatly appreciated. We need to hear from actual users. What are other Georgetown owners doing? We can't seem to get any definite answers. Attachment 262596Attachment 262597
PA_Jay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winegard