Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2016, 08:56 AM   #1

Wrinkle in fiberglass roof

My 2015 Georgetown XL 377ts is going into the shop for the fix of the wrinkled fiberglass roof. I am not real happy that the fix is to put full length radius caps on but I don't have a choice. One of the reasons I bought the Georgetown was for the one piece fiberglass roof. Now I will have some long seams to keep up with. Has anyone that has had this fix done had any problems with it as far as leaks or other issues?
Old 11-05-2016, 09:14 AM   #2
RJJ

I have had mine done for almost 18 months with no issues. Not what I wanted for my GT either, but the fiberglass radius was more worrisome as cracks had started forming. I make pre/post trip roof inspections part of my routine.

2015 Georgetown 329DS
2014 Chevy Equinox
RJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 10:30 AM   #3

Ours is in being done now.. Really did not want it but was afraid that they would eventually crack.. They need to make a new mold that fits for their roofs.. This band aid repair sucks especially the way that all the places just glob on the sealer
Old 11-07-2016, 12:36 PM   #4

Wow, our unit is 6 years old and never had a roof problem. I'm surprised the factory didn't replace the roof.

JimF
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 12:48 PM   #5

If they would of replaced the roof it would of had the same problem.. The mold is putting out a roof that is wider than the RV so they just force it to fit and thus, Wrinkles..
Old 11-07-2016, 01:02 PM   #6
RJJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimF View Post
Wow, our unit is 6 years old and never had a roof problem. I'm surprised the factory didn't replace the roof.

JimF

Travis at Forest River told me the way they install the roofs on GTs changed a few years ago. They got rid of the radius caps and used one sheet of fiberglass for roof and radius. The fix is to go back with the aluminum radius caps that they used previously. I think yours would have been made with the aluminum radius caps. Thus no issues for you. 👍
Old 11-07-2016, 03:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVnut View Post
If they would of replaced the roof it would of had the same problem.. The mold is putting out a roof that is wider than the RV so they just force it to fit and thus, Wrinkles..

They don't use a mold for a roof. It's a flat sheet with aluminum radius sides. No problems on wrinkles or cracking.

JimF
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 07:37 PM   #8

Had my roof repaired with the aluminum radius down both sides at the factory repair facility in Elkhart and now have a roof leak. What next? Back to dealer for another repair. In hindsight would have waited until roof failed. Never had a leak until after the repair.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
conddave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 08:43 PM   #9

Thanks, but not what I wanted to hear. Lol
Old 11-07-2016, 08:53 PM   #10
RJJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by conddave View Post
Had my roof repaired with the aluminum radius down both sides at the factory repair facility in Elkhart and now have a roof leak. What next? Back to dealer for another repair. In hindsight would have waited until roof failed. Never had a leak until after the repair.

Sorry to hear that. Have you been up on the roof to see if there is an obvious point of entry for the water? I've heard that the factory does good work when units go back in for warranty. We definitely have more possibility for leaks now, then we did with the one piece fiberglass roofs our coaches were built with. Didn't want to have it done, but the radius caps were how the Georgetowns used to be manufactured, so I thought it best with cracks forming on mine to go with the tried and true method. So far so good on mine. Good luck with your repair, I hope it lasts this time and you had minimal damage.

2015 Georgetown 329DS
2014 Chevy Equinox
Old 11-07-2016, 11:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimF View Post
They don't use a mold for a roof. It's a flat sheet with aluminum radius sides. No problems on wrinkles or cracking.

JimF
Well our roof on our 2016 is all one piece molded fiberglass roof with no seams and it was cast from a mold.. Now it was getting wrinkles in the corners and the factory rep said we need to install the caps so that is what is happening at this time and I hope it does not leak.. Roof has been fine to now in some big rain storms
Old 11-08-2016, 06:16 AM   #12

My 2012 360 came with aluminum caps when new. No issues with leaks along the sides. Did have a leak at the front AC and replacing the seal took care of it. I do have a few small wrinkles towards the driver side rear of the coach. No leaks but I check the roof for any cracking several times a year. In my opinion the fiberglass is a relatively thin flexible sheet that can be bent along the edges when installed. The wrinkles occur much like upholstery or bed sheets can. The FG material is stiffer and more resistant to penetration than the "rubber" roofs of my previous three RVs, but FG roofs have issues with flexibility which can lead to wrinkles especially when it is bent for any reason.
BillMFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 07:44 PM   #13

Can somebody post some pics of their RV with these radius caps installed?? My 2013 XL will probably need them as well.....

2013 Georgetown XL 350
Bunkhouse
2002 F250 4X4 CC
2012 Jeep Liberty
Dijoeboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 02:04 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dijoeboss View Post
Can somebody post some pics of their RV with these radius caps installed?? My 2013 XL will probably need them as well.....

2013 Georgetown XL 350
Bunkhouse
2002 F250 4X4 CC
2012 Jeep Liberty
We get ours back next Friday and I will post some.. There were other pictures posted on another post but they were all black.. We had ours painted to match
Old 11-11-2016, 01:29 PM   #15

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1696.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	168.5 KB
ID:	125068Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1694.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	176.2 KB
ID:	125069
swamprat26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 08:55 AM   #16
eyc

Great, we had our roof replaced a couple of years ago when it started cracking in the center, and the wrinkle in the front finally opened up. We have a 2009 350TS. We originally had the caps down the sides and when they replaced the roof they eliminated the caps. Hope I don't have to go back for another roof repair.

eyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 09:53 AM   #17
New:

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgew48 View Post
My 2015 Georgetown XL 377ts is going into the shop for the fix of the wrinkled fiberglass roof. I am not real happy that the fix is to put full length radius caps on but I don't have a choice. One of the reasons I bought the Georgetown was for the one piece fiberglass roof. Now I will have some long seams to keep up with. Has anyone that has had this fix done had any problems with it as far as leaks or other issues?
I just had mine done at RVWorld of Lakeland. The repair looks good and I agree it sucks to have to have the this done on a 2 year old RV. But I spoke to several GT owners at Goshen and they were happy with their repair and mine looks good. My next project is to remove all the clear sealant on the seams and replace it with something mold resistant.
Sorry to read some people have had leak issues on here. I will post if mine leaks, but the cracks that were forming on my roof scared me more! I live in Florida where we rain 300 days a year! LOL
New: 2015 Forest River Georgetown 328TS
2016 Equinox Tow Vehicle
old: 2013 FR Rockwood 2318G w/ 2001 Ford F250 4X4 Diesel
compman69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fiberglass, roo, roof