Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2018, 07:17 PM   #21

BirdeeGirl, If your unit is "satellite ready" it may have Sirius built in. Mine did but it would not work. Found out the hard way the factory people failed to connect the wire to the radio properly. It was in that dreaded wire bundle behind the radio with black tape around it. I just removed the black tape and finished plugging the ends together. Walla, it came to life and I transferred the Sirius from my car to the motorhome for the summer. The antenna was located on the steering column, magnetically held in place on a 4 x 4 metal plate.
weatherguru1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:55 PM   #22

Iíll check this weekend when I get home. Hopefully the antenna is under the dome on the roof. I think I have to buy the module though.
BirdeeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 12:25 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherguru1 View Post
The antenna was located on the steering column, magnetically held in place on a 4 x 4 metal plate.
I am surprised, yet again, by the location of the satellite antenna.

I had thought that the antennas needed to be located on the outside, top of the vehicle so that they could have an unimpeded view of the sky. Some even suggest that a 12" x 12" piece of metal would be necessary (steel - so the magnetic antenna would stick to it) if the mounting site was plastic or fiberglass.

Clearly, the mounting location is not, in fact, all that critical.

I will experiment with mine when I get it set up.

Gudmund
Gudmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 01:18 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdeeGirl View Post
I have a 2018 31L5. Does anybody know if the antenna wire for satellite radio is already there and just needs a module or do I have to run wires?Attachment 188205 I have a dome on the roof over the drivers side. Havenít pulled it off as weíre leaving in the morning on a trip.
From what I was told, that dome cover is for DISH, Ö SAT TV. Sirius is built into the radio itself (if have it) and I do not know where they locate the antenna if they even did.
270S is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio