Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2021, 04:52 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 39
xm radio antenna

Good Afternoon All,

So, I have researched and read about the antenna cable for the XM radio that FR installed on our coach at the time of manufacture. The consensus is that the single small opaque plastic dome on the roof over the drivers seat is where the antenna receiver end is located and that the wire for it is routed down under the dash. I have searched and searched and searched under the dash for this "bundle" of wire that has been reported to be wire tied or taped to the steering column, behind the radio stack or otherwise secreted under the dash amidst all the wires, ducting and such. For the life of me, I can not find the other end of the antenna wire that attaches to the radio. I have a portable XM radio unit that I transfer from vehicle to vehicle and typically place the mag antenna on the dash but like others, I lose sat connection when going north away from the equator and occasionally while traveling east or west depending upon where we are in the country. I simply want to use the antenna that FR and others says is installed already. Does anyone have a photo of the radio end or can help me better narrow down the radio end of the antenna wire?
__________________
Bill and Maureen
So California
2020 Georgetown GT5 34H 38'
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sahara w/ RVi3 Brake Control
centurion493 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 05:29 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Boise County, ID
Posts: 565
I do not believe my Georgetown 30x3 has an XM antenna. If it did why wouldn’t they hook it to the XM ready radio?

It has a little white dome above driver’s side. But I believe that has the satellite TV coax which is available in the center overhead compartment.
__________________
IDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 05:39 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 39
Thanks IDguy but an XM subscription box must be purchased by the end user and installed between the antenna feed and the radio followed by activating a subscription. No box, no way to connect the antenna wire that I can not find or may not be there....I am just going to have to bite the bullet and pull the dome and see what if anything is under it. I will reseal with a ton of Dicor tape and/or self leveling lap sealant and report back to let everyone know what I found or did not find. All I really want to do is be able to connect my portable XM radio to a roof mounted antenna that I was told was already there. We will see.....
__________________
Bill and Maureen
So California
2020 Georgetown GT5 34H 38'
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sahara w/ RVi3 Brake Control
centurion493 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 06:24 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Boise County, ID
Posts: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by centurion493 View Post
Thanks IDguy but an XM subscription box must be purchased by the end user and installed between the antenna feed and the radio followed by activating a subscription. No box, no way to connect the antenna wire that I can not find or may not be there....I am just going to have to bite the bullet and pull the dome and see what if anything is under it. I will reseal with a ton of Dicor tape and/or self leveling lap sealant and report back to let everyone know what I found or did not find. All I really want to do is be able to connect my portable XM radio to a roof mounted antenna that I was told was already there. We will see.....
You misunderstood my post. I understand XM FULLY. I believe whoever told you your unit had XM antenna was WRONG!

If you did, they would have connected it to your XM ready radio. No box.
__________________
IDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 08:22 PM   #5
NXR
Senior Member
 
NXR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Family room couch
Posts: 2,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDguy View Post
You misunderstood my post. I understand XM FULLY. I believe whoever told you your unit had XM antenna was WRONG!

If you did, they would have connected it to your XM ready radio. No box.
The Jensen XRV10, while "XM Ready", just has the touchscreen selection. You still need to buy the $50-$60 box and plug it into the XRV10.

Ray
__________________
2020 Georgetown GT5 34H5
NXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 12:27 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Boise County, ID
Posts: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
The Jensen XRV10, while "XM Ready", just has the touchscreen selection. You still need to buy the $50-$60 box and plug it into the XRV10.

Ray
That is the antenna!
__________________
IDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 12:54 PM   #7
NXR
Senior Member
 
NXR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Family room couch
Posts: 2,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDguy View Post
That is the antenna!
What is "the antenna"? What I mentioned is the XM guts. It still needs an antenna.

Ray
__________________
2020 Georgetown GT5 34H5
NXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 02:21 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Boise County, ID
Posts: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
What is "the antenna"? What I mentioned is the XM guts. It still needs an antenna.

Ray
I know you refuse to understand this but an xm ready radio has the guts. All it needs is an antenna.
__________________
IDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 03:21 PM   #9
NXR
Senior Member
 
NXR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Family room couch
Posts: 2,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDguy View Post
I know you refuse to understand this but an “xm ready” radio has the guts. All it needs is an antenna.
I know you refuse to believe that "XM ready" may not mean what you think it does so...

https://www.siriusretail.com/product...q/SXV300V1.asp

Q: What is SiriusXM-Ready?
A: Any aftermarket vehicle receiver or controller bearing the SiriusXM-Ready logo means it can connect to and control a SiriusXM-Connect Satellite Radio tuner such as the SXV100, SXV200 or SXV300


Ray
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	XM.PNG
Views:	19
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	253624   Click image for larger version

Name:	XM1.PNG
Views:	21
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	253625  
__________________
2020 Georgetown GT5 34H5
NXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 12:46 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Boise County, ID
Posts: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
I know you refuse to believe that "XM ready" may not mean what you think it does so...

https://www.siriusretail.com/product...q/SXV300V1.asp

Q: What is SiriusXM-Ready?
A: Any aftermarket vehicle receiver or controller bearing the SiriusXM-Ready logo means it can connect to and control a SiriusXM-Connect Satellite Radio tuner such as the SXV100, SXV200 or SXV300


Ray
Yes, that is the antenna.
__________________
IDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
antenna, radio

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:24 AM.