Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2010, 11:18 PM   #1
Site Team - Lou

1000 Islands area

I am planning a trip into Canada this summer to the 1000 Islands area. Anyone have info on the KOAs across the border?
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 11:47 PM   #2

Hi Herk. I stay at the KOA 1000 islands Mallorytown. It is a nice campground with clean washrooms, pool, and hot tub. The owner's Richard and Susan are putting in 18 new sites that at 50 amp drivethrough. The new sites are 75' long with 3 way hookup. They are locate 15 mins east of the 1000 Island bridge. What information do you need. The KOA 1000 Island does not have sewer hookup but will pumpout. The campground at Kingston is built on bedrock and all water is trucked in so they are very conservative with their water. The KOA 1000 Island IvyLea is very similar to the Mallorytown KOA but more expensive. They advertise as beening on the water but in fact are on the North side of the road with no river access. All three campground are within easy access to 1000 Island activities. The Mallorytown KOA is located about 5K or 3 miles north of the river on county road 2. Mallorytown has a small grocery store that has a local LCBO and beer store on site. It is only a little over 1hr. drive from Mallorytown to Canada's capital Ottawa. We are 45 min. to Kingston On and Old Fort Henry. Upper Canada village is about 70 min. east.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 06:59 AM   #3
Grape Escape

This park is in the middle of the river, have some full service sites, US side, great location close to Bolt castle and Alexandria Bay. Got to check out Fineview resort on the island.
Definitely one of our favorites.
Welsley Island State Park
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 08:57 AM   #4
Site Team - Lou

Wow, thanks for the great replies! This will be very helpful.
Gonna try a few days at Fort Drum FAMCAMP too on the way up.

DW is leaning toward KOA Mallorytown, the hot tub got her attention!
Old 11-25-2010, 10:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
I am planning a trip into Canada this summer to the 1000 Islands area. Anyone have info on the KOAs across the border?
I haven't been to the Mallorytown KOA but we have been to the following;

Cardinal / Ottawa South KOA
RR 1, 609 Pittston Road
Cardinal, ON K0E 1E0

Cardinal was very quiet and clean although most sites were in the tall pines ( read - pine tree sap which can be quite messy ). Nice pool and close to Ottawa if you are sight seeing!

1000 Islands / Ivy Lea KOA
514 1000 Island Parkway
Lansdowne, ON K0E 1L0

One of our kids' favourite spots! A family hot tub, an adult only hot tub, two kidney shaped pools, deluxe sites and bike/walking trails that run for miles right at the main entrance. Some sites are a little cramped though...

The Ivy Lea KOA is a little more pricey but may be closer for your planned activities! Speaking of pricey, you'll probably crap when you find out what we pay for campgrounds vs. what they are per night state side (not to mention the gas!)

Kingston KOA also has our seal of approval. Clean, friendly and well kept.

We are close enough to the border that we went state side this past summer. Gas was 30% less and the campsites almost half price. If we do a two or three week trip next summer it will be in the states for sure, can't beat the prices ( not to mention that the state park (Webster, near Rochester) we stayed at was right on par with our provincial parks - and did I mention it was half the price? ).

Don't go near the Upper Canada Campground that is right next to the 401 near Cornwall - unless you like being camped on a loud annoying highway and being in a less than spotless park.

Happy camping, we've got pics if you are interested...
shineysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 11:14 AM   #6
Site Team - Lou

Wow thanks for the tips. A few photos would be nice!

Ugh, its snowing here. Big fat flakes and its sticking to the ground :-(
Old 11-25-2010, 02:05 PM   #7

Any KOA in the 1000 island region is nice. Kingston is just north of the city on the west end. Ivy Lea is on the 1000 Island parkway. Mallorytowm is located in Mallorytown just north of the 401. On busy days you can hear hear the traffic on the 401 also there is the train tracks about 3/4 mile north of the campground. If you are not use to hearing the noise it can keep you awake at night. If the trains are not running all night i wake up. The hot tub is small and you have to sign up to book a time to use it. KOA Cardinal is a bit futher away from the 1000 island region but closer to Ottawa. Like the other poster said No not camp at Upper Canada campground. I am from the 1000 island region of Ontario. I have camped at all of the KOA's in the region. I have also camped at Welsley Island State park. It is a very nice campground. If you want to visit Canadian spots you will have to go through customs everytime you cross the border.It could take up to one hour and some times longer, to clear customs when it is busy. In Canada I recommend taking the 1000 Island boat cruise from Rockport On. Rockport is a sleepy little fishing village with a drinking problem. If Old Fort Henry is having there sunset ceremonies I recommend that you attend. It is a reenactment of old mititary movements. All of the people in the Fort Henry guard are student of RMC (Royal Millitary Collage) Kingston.
Old 11-25-2010, 04:55 PM   #8
Grape Escape

PS I know you asked about KOA's but Welsley is well worth checking out on our neighbours' side of the river. It has a full service marina which is rare for a State Park and does have sites right along the St. Lawrence. Nice to watch all sorts of boats and ships motoring by. Also has a kids program if I remember correctly.
Hard for us to pass on the cheaper gas, liquor and camping fees in the US
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 05:30 PM   #9

Fort Drum is only a little over 1/2 hour drive to the 1000 island region.
Old 11-25-2010, 05:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
PS I know you asked about KOA's but Welsley is well worth checking out on our neighbours' side of the river. It has a full service marina which is rare for a State Park and does have sites right along the St. Lawrence. Nice to watch all sorts of boats and ships motoring by. Also has a kids program if I remember correctly.
Hard for us to pass on the cheaper gas, liquor and camping fees in the US
Friends have recommended this place to us... We are going to give it a go next year!

Happy camping,
shineysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 06:27 PM   #11
Site Team - Lou

Rockport is a sleepy little fishing village with a drinking problem.

My kind of town; Rockport is!

On the list of "Must see."
Old 11-25-2010, 06:49 PM   #12
Arn
Arn

In that area I stay at Ivy Lea Campground which is one of the Parks of The Saint Lawrence. No sewer but pumpout available. Nice park, on the water, but no trailer sites on the water. All of the Parks of The Saint Lawrence are nice & well kept. Further east you'll find Riverside-Cedar & Upper Canada Migratory Bird Sanctuary. The Bird Sanctuary has sites with a great water view. Most of the sites in these parks are quite large. You almost need a bullhorn to communicate with neighbors. The Ontario side of the Saint Lawrence is beautiful. Gananoque, near where you're planning on staying, is a tourist trap but a nice town. To the east, Brockville is a historic town with lots to see & do. Welcome to Canada my friend!
Arn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 08:35 PM   #13

We stayed in one of the St. Lawrence Seaway Parks (Ivy Lea I think) on our way back from Vermont this summer. It was clean and had water and electric service on site, clean close washrooms and showers and dumping facilities. We only stayed one night but it would be quite acceptable for short term stays as there are a lot of historical things to see and do in the nearby areas. Two things to remember are that, to Canadians, nearby may not be quite as close as you expect and the St Lawrence Seaway Parks are not provincial parks, so you may have to check for them under a different heading on the internet. It will probably be a few dollars more to camp here but you will only have to cross the border once and you will possibly enjoy a different perspective on the war of 1812 and eary life in (upper)Canada at Old Fort Henry and Upper Canada Village. Whatever you decide...enjoy you trip and feel free to return anytime.

Old Guys