Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2019, 12:29 PM   #1

BC - Vancouver Island

Wife and I want to explore British Columbia and Vancouver Island next Spring. Have three dogs with us in five'r so we will be carrying plenty of dog food for them.Looking for guidance and experiences that we need to consider before start making plans. C'mon FR Gang...feed me some info and thoughts!!
Oneiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 01:03 PM   #2

We spent three weeks on Vancouver Island in the Summer of 18 and are planning a return trip in 2020. We didn't take our dogs on the first trip, but will be taking them on the next so I will be closely following this thread. While planning for the first trip I did pay attention to the requirements for taking the dogs, just decided not to because we had planned a lot of tourist type activities that would have left them in the trailer for long periods of time. So I guess that is one topic to consider, what are your plans and how do the dogs get effected? I know that you are suppose to have a current shot record and health certificate from a vet to cross the border, but many people report that no one asked. Better to have it than not is how I feel. Not quite sure about the dog food comment, but I can assure you that VI has some of the best stores and services that we have seen. You won't have any issues getting supplies for the dogs. Canada does require the dog food to be in its original packaging. Ferry trips to and from will be required and the different Ferry operators have different rules regarding dogs on the trip. Some they must remain in the RV and others they can be carried in carriers. DO your research on what Ferries you will be using so there are no surprises. I have other thoughts, but this is getting long. If you have a specific question please ask and I'll answer if I can.
Lundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 04:36 PM   #3

We're also planning a trip to VI late summer (if permitted) to explore the island for up to 2 months. Interested in using our motorhome as a base (preferably boondocking) and Jeep exploring.

We'll overnight anywhere - not particular about that.

We'd appreciate any advice. Thanks.
Old 06-06-2020, 05:27 PM   #4

We stayed at Goldstream Park just outside Victoria to explore the Southern part of the island. It is a great park with clean/large sites. No hookups.
We then went to Nanaimo and stayed at Living Forest campground to explore the more central island stuff. It sits right on the water and is a 5 star park, but it can get crowded so reservations are really needed. Full hookups.
We didn't do any boondocking, wouldn't know where that was possible.
Lundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 11:40 PM   #5
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFather View Post
We're also planning a trip to VI late summer (if permitted) to explore the island for up to 2 months. Interested in using our motorhome as a base (preferably boondocking) and Jeep exploring.

We'll overnight anywhere - not particular about that.

We'd appreciate any advice. Thanks.
It would be prudent at this point to start thinking of pushing your Van Isle trip planning to 2021. The BC government and their Chief Medical Officer have opined that the current limits to all but essential cross border travel, is likely to remain in place for the duration of the summer, if not longer. If there's a 2nd wave, all bets are off.

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 12:39 AM   #6
Dano

Before the COVID-19, I traveled to Canada and back at least once a month in my Legacy. Involved in a dog sport that has tournaments there often. Yes, make sure you have valid shot records. Health certificate is good to have as well, but never been asked for one. Take a look at the CBSA (Canadian Border Services Agency) web site https://www.inspection.gc.ca/animal-.../1331876307796
for detailed information. As long as the dog food is made in the US and in its factory container, you are fine. Coming back to the US is a bit of a different story. Keep dog food in its original packaging. Anything with lamb, sheep, or goat will not be allowed in TO the US. Here's the link to CBP (Custome and Border Protection) https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Artic...language=en_US
dmwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 01:10 PM   #7

Thanks for the advice folks!

We realize that doing this trip this year might be iffy, but thought we'd plan for it just in case. Seems like Vancouver Island would be a great place to explore.

We seldom make reservations, so it will be easy to go with a Plan-B somewhere else.

Tripping from SoCal through Alaska last year, we had 6 border crossings (US-Alberta-AK-Yukon and back). They always turned down our offer of doggy papers we had ready. They never wanted to inspect our carefully-weighed dog food either - but you never know when they might.

Also, we only got inspected once - a random selection. And it was only a cursory check of the toad.