Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2017, 11:28 PM   #1

British Columbia Forest Fires 2017

FYI, there are close to 200 fires burning in my province today.

Many highways are closed and 10's of thousands evacuated.

If you are on your way to Alaska, check with DriveBC

Banff AB is also affected by a fire. \/

Nights Camped 2017 [63]
Nights Camped 2018 [27]
Nurek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 12:18 AM   #2

Brutal. My daughter is in Kelowna so I am hearing about it.
Demco Glide Ride pin box
Demco Hijacker UMS 21K hitch
mlatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 05:15 AM   #3
"On the road again"

Prayers for all those impacted by these fires - and the ones across the Western US.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 11:24 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurek View Post
FYI, there are close to 200 fires burning in my province today.

Many highways are closed and 10's of thousands evacuated.

If you are on your way to Alaska, check with DriveBC

Banff AB is also affected by a fire. \/

It's all over our news here in Ontario....too bad for you guys. Great advice to travelers going through BC.

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 12:52 PM   #5

Thanks for the heads up! I'm in Portland headed to Anchorage. Good thing I allocated 4 weeks to get there!
bob5560g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 03:15 PM   #6

Good advice, I live near 100 Mile House one of the evacuated areas. We are on alert so could be evacuated any minute. Motorhome ready to go!. This is where having a motorhome is very convenient. Getting very hard to get grocery's. The small rural stores are doing a wonderful job of getting in what they can. Disasters like this really draw people together and the generosity of everyone is amazing, truly amazing. We could go to Kamloops to stock up but if we are away when the evac order comes we can't go back so we will get my daughter in Kamloops to fill up car (milk and bread) and maybe meet us at the roadblock near Little Fort. With all the smoke we are getting unbelievable sunsets for sure. Right now I believe Hwy5 is open from Kamloops to Prince George. Very fluid situation folks so make sure you check with Drive BC and keep your fuel tanks full and waste tanks empty at every chance. Just heard the latest reports and with cooler weather crews are making some progress yesterday and today. British Columbia is not closed, still lots of beautiful country out there so come on up and enjoy.
cariboo camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 03:27 PM   #7

back again. here's an interesting site, google "fire data in google earth Canada" bring up web site that reads "fire data in google earth Canada. When that comes up click on link near bottom that reads "fire detection-current. Gives you an idea of the size of these fires. The one near Ashcroft B.C. is huge and 0% contained.
cariboo camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 09:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariboo camper View Post
Good advice, I live near 100 Mile House one of the evacuated areas.
I went up to Fawn Lake where I keep my TT during the summer (May-Oct) last Monday and brought it down to Kamloops and am storing it in a RV park/storage place.

The operator told me that on Mon morning she had 62 free spots for camping/storage and when I got there at 16:00 there were 3 spots.

I hope that I can get my TT out of its spot without too much trouble. It's a tight packed lot.

Hope you're still allowed to stay home.
Nights Camped 2017 [63]
Nights Camped 2018 [27]
Old 07-18-2017, 09:35 PM   #9

Quote:
back again. here's an interesting site, google "fire data in google earth Canada" bring up web site that reads "fire data in google earth Canada. When that comes up click on link near bottom that reads "fire detection-current. Gives you an idea of the size of these fires. The one near Ashcroft B.C. is huge and 0% contained.
Thanks for that link. I opened the .kml file in Google Earth. Lots of info.
Nights Camped 2017 [63]
Nights Camped 2018 [27]
Old 07-18-2017, 09:55 PM   #10
Curiouser and Curiouser

We have you all in our prayers. For those of us lucky enough to be far away from the fires, kind of puts the little things in perspective doesn't it?
Old 07-20-2017, 01:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Good advice, I live near 100 Mile House one of the evacuated areas. We are on alert so could be evacuated any minute. Motorhome ready to go!. This is where having a motorhome is very convenient. Getting very hard to get grocery's. The small rural stores are doing a wonderful job of getting in what they can. Disasters like this really draw people together and the generosity of everyone is amazing, truly amazing. We could go to Kamloops to stock up but if we are away when the evac order comes we can't go back so we will get my daughter in Kamloops to fill up car (milk and bread) and maybe meet us at the roadblock near Little Fort. With all the smoke we are getting unbelievable sunsets for sure. Right now I believe Hwy5 is open from Kamloops to Prince George. Very fluid situation folks so make sure you check with Drive BC and keep your fuel tanks full and waste tanks empty at every chance. Just heard the latest reports and with cooler weather crews are making some progress yesterday and today. British Columbia is not closed, still lots of beautiful country out there so come on up and enjoy.
Best of luck to you all. Luckily Ontario has been pretty wet this year allowing our firefighters to head your way. I always consider our motorhome to be our emergency evacuation vehicle too. Thinking of you all.
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 09:24 PM   #12

Stopped in the Prince George visitors center 2 days ago. They told me parts of 97 were still closed south of Prince George. Used 16 to 5 down to Merritt and stayed at the Walmart there. Then south to the border yesterday. My prayers go out to those affected by the fires.
Grandchildren fill the space in your heart you never knew was empty. Nick 25 y/o and Leif 6 1/2 yrs.
cruisegrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 09:31 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Horrible situation for all our fellow Canadians in BC. I have some former students that work in radio in BC. They are going non stop I am told. Hoping some rain comes your way soon!!
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote