Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2015, 11:24 AM   #1

Campground Host at Ontario Provincial Park?

Has anyone ever been a Campground Host at any of the Ontario Provincial Parks? It’s something I’ve been curious about for awhile and wondering what the experience was like and what the requirements are to become one. I realize it’s a volunteer position which is no problem just not sure what all is involved but it sounds interesting.
Cattledog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 12:41 PM   #2

We have not been a host but have been to Presquille PP many summers and have stopped and talked with the host a number of times in their spot next to the lake. There is an application process along with a background check (you will be dealing with kids, unfortunately that is the reality now). You have to be in a position where they tell you when they need you, read into that retired/slef-employed. You should have a level of knowledge of that park and surrounding area where you are part tourist guide and part samaratin when things go bad. Luckily the park people do the day lessons and activities. I have seen them on bikes around the park with their red vests, so obviously you need to be social and be able to talk to people. The spot in Presquille is no electricty so you will need solar/generator, not sure about other parks. I have also seen the hosts at Mew lake in Algonquin and much of the same there so it must be a Ontario wide standard for that "Job"

Kevin
tenttotrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:23 AM   #3

Thanks, appreciate the input still not sure if I’ll sign up or not. I was looking at a few parks that are a reasonable drive from home and both host sites are a decent size and have electricity. Although some parks do not use the host program during July and August. Wish the Ontario Parks website gave more information on the program.
Cattledog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 07:11 PM   #4

DW and myself would love to do it. Between Algonquin and Presquille, we have been to both enough that we could pass for experts. Not a tough job in my eyes, half the stuff you do it would be the same if we were just camping.

Kevin
tenttotrailer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mpg